Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260319 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #630 on: July 30, 2009, 03:46:19 pm »

Like giving them weapons?

Doesn't matter - when it's 20 on 1, there's always an orc occupying the same tile as Morul, and in that situation they don't use the weapon they have equipped.

I need to mod *Morul* to not wrestle.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 30, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »

Why not try to make some sort of setup where you can divide off the orcs and let him fight vs smaller numbers at a time to increase his use of weapons?

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 30, 2009, 04:04:34 pm »

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems.  Skilled guys seem to level really fast in new weapons just sparring against other skilled champions.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 30, 2009, 04:15:22 pm »

Slogo: that's what I suggested earlier. Split up the entry into a bunch of small cells that you can individually open and close, and you should be able to cut down the number of enemies in any particular melee.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 30, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »

Is it possible to mod the orc to have no arms or legs but be huge, slow and hard to hurt?
That way morul can stand beating on them for ages before they die and they won't be able to grab him.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 30, 2009, 06:41:19 pm »

That's coming once all the *possible* skills have been taken.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 30, 2009, 08:24:52 pm »

Is it possible to mod the orc to have no arms or legs but be huge, slow and hard to hurt?
That way morul can stand beating on them for ages before they die and they won't be able to grab him.

Can't remove body parts without a regen. Morul already beats on them until he's on the brink of unconsciousness (I keep upgrading the orc size/damblock). I'll start on the cells once the moat is done (timing is a bit important lest the magma start melting dwarves... again).

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 30, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »

Morul still needs to train a little more to beat the Captain

He's on it.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44:24 am »

You can change speed without a regen I'm pretty sure. You could mod the orcs to be super super incredibly slow and they'd be unable to occupy the same spot as Morul as easily as they do now.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 31, 2009, 01:05:49 am »

You can change speed without a regen I'm pretty sure. You could mod the orcs to be super super incredibly slow and they'd be unable to occupy the same spot as Morul as easily as they do now.

Hmm, let me experiment with that. Incredibly slow, size 50 orcs might actually work.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 31, 2009, 01:44:52 am »

While waiting for giant, lumbering orcs to arrive, Morul picked up another attribute, so I thought I'd take a peek.

The last two snapshots were pre/post sieges and the tantrum spiral:

Autumn 244, he had the following stats:

1,549,133 xp
42 wrestler
40 shield
26 armor
24 str, 25 agi, 26 tough

At the end of the year (Autumn 245), he was at:

1,586,001 xp
44 wrestler
43 shield
29 armor
24 str, 25 agi, 27 tough

That was 3 sieges (1 little human one) of experience.

In Spring 247, he's now at

1,617,297 xp
45 wrestler
44 shield
30 armor
25 str, 25 agi, 27 tough

No sieges in that time, just sparring and hanging around. Definitely a slower xp rate, and he did pick up one level of wrestler/shield/armor (he was sparring wrestling for a bit during the weapon changeover from hammer to axe). But for overall skilling the fortress definitely need to get the orcs back on a regular schedule.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 01, 2009, 05:02:00 pm »

Based on Slogo's suggestion, I modified the Orcs in an attempt to be better skilling opponents. I reduced their speed to 1% of default (should only affect movement rate, not agility) in an attempt to keep them from just piling on Morul and forcing him to wrestle. To balance this, I increased Orc size to 50 (I had it upgraded to 9) and kept damblock at 7 (which is up from 3 or 4 by default). They have steel armor/weapons.

Morul has his usual armor and a no-quality silver battle axe.

Here's a movie of the result.

Sorry I haven't done movies before now - I've never had good luck in the past with them, but this went well so I'll do more of them. Anyway, Morul just cut through them like nothing (although he is puking the whole time from the sun ::)). He did that with 2 squads before this one. His skill only went up from competent to skilled, so it's still not enough of an improvement. I'm going to increase damblock to 50 as well and see what that does with the next siege.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 01, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »

Puking on the orcs while slaughtering them?  Wow.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 02, 2009, 05:07:23 am »

Hey Martin, I made a fortress the other day on the Dwarf Heaven site

It was called "MorulTost" one letter off "MorulToast"

Even the very ground that Morul walks Toasts to his name!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 71