Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260224 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2009, 05:38:52 pm »

I don't think we know what the modifier is. There's all those numbers in the wiki bandied about, but I can't vouch for their accuracy. It wouldn't be the first time the wiki was grossly mistaken on something. It may be two times, it could be five times, it could be ten times, who knows.

Better forbid that baby fast; don't want Morul picking it up and never letting it go. Even his cold dead hands might prove too difficult to pry open.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:59 pm »

I don't think we know what the modifier is. There's all those numbers in the wiki bandied about, but I can't vouch for their accuracy. It wouldn't be the first time the wiki was grossly mistaken on something. It may be two times, it could be five times, it could be ten times, who knows.

Better forbid that baby fast; don't want Morul picking it up and never letting it go. Even his cold dead hands might prove too difficult to pry open.

Well, I have a trick for that which I posted earlier. Makes everyone in the fortress unconscious and they drop anything they are holding. Nobody has sword as weapon skill so I can at least get it carried to the stockpile, but yeah, forbidden as soon as it gets there.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:56 pm »

The highlights

A few final showdowns.

Martin wanted Ironblood to fight with a hammer, so I did that.  Here's the results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The results really aren't any different, statistically.  The Captain won 8 fights with the axe and only 7 fights with the hammer, but the important thing to note is that, just like the fights with the axe, these ended in 3 or 4 hits most of the time, and the victor never took damage.

Finally, I put both dwarves in full adamantine gear:  Exceptional or masterwork platemail, greaves, gauntlets, shields, low boots, helms, and weapons.  Let the ultimate battles begin!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stay tuned next time when Ironblood and Morul singlehandedly take on HFS!
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 25, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

Well, I see Morul needs to step up his game. Working on it...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:20 pm »

Finally, I put both dwarves in full adamantine gear:  Exceptional or masterwork platemail, greaves, gauntlets, shields, low boots, helms, and weapons.  Let the ultimate battles begin!
What, not all masterwork, and not clothes(like Morul has)? They have armor value to be multiplied too. And I mean, why AREN'T you cheating up their gear to bests attainable by slow work? It's not like this is about you being able to make the gear.

edit: What was the weapon matchup? MW axe v MW mace?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 25, 2009, 07:26:18 pm »

Morul has lost his clothes - they all rotted off. Even adamantine clothing doesn't last long. I need to reset his armor since he picked up a piece or two of steel when that happened.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:54 pm »

What, not all masterwork, and not clothes(like Morul has)? They have armor value to be multiplied too. And I mean, why AREN'T you cheating up their gear to bests attainable by slow work? It's not like this is about you being able to make the gear.

edit: What was the weapon matchup? MW axe v MW mace?

I cheated the metalsmith up to level 60 weaponsmithing and armorsmithing.  Just for comparison, Morul's weapon and armorsmithing are 21 and 20, respectively.  Even with that, only half of the goods he created were masterwork, and I really didn't have the patience for him to make all masterwork stuff.  Also, I have no idea how you weave adamantine cloth.  I could've found it on the Wiki, but that's time that could be spent having epic battles. 

Presently, I'm rebuilding Morul and Ironblood in a new location that has HFS, so they will get the full gamut of masterwork adamantine gear, I assure you.

Edit- Wow, it's more like 1 in 6 times he makes masterwork gear, and this after making him a level 100 armorsmith.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:16:49 pm by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »

This reminds me SO MUCH of Deadliest Warrior. Do any of you guys watch it? Such a sick show. I can just imagine the host reading out the names and bios of Ironblood and Morul. I have a question though; Crash, maybe I missed a few posts and if so I'm sorry, but how are you making them fight? Did you drive one of them insane or something; I noted that one of them was a @ as opposed to a smiley? Or was this like a dwarf companion thing? Either way, pretty awesome. I think the fact is that Morul will murk in anything other than Ironblood's favourites.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:44 pm »

This reminds me SO MUCH of Deadliest Warrior. Do any of you guys watch it? Such a sick show. I can just imagine the host reading out the names and bios of Ironblood and Morul. I have a question though; Crash, maybe I missed a few posts and if so I'm sorry, but how are you making them fight? Did you drive one of them insane or something; I noted that one of them was a @ as opposed to a smiley? Or was this like a dwarf companion thing? Either way, pretty awesome. I think the fact is that Morul will murk in anything other than Ironblood's favourites.
He use DC to set one as an invader.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:29 pm »

Yeah, I love Deadliest Warrior too.  I'm sure it's turning my brain into some kind of gooey paste, but there's a strange satisfaction in watching men hit ballistics-gel dummies with medieval weapons for an hour.  I have to say this isn't like Deadliest Warrior because there isn't nearly enough trash-talking between Martin and Capt Mayday. 

He use DC to set one as an invader.
Exactly.  I posted it in my earlier fights, but I switch which dwarf is the invader every round, and I used to alternate between inv1 and inv2, but later I switched exclusively to inv1 because inv2 runs away when it takes yellow damage.

In other news, the HFS battles aren't going so well.  SoF are tough motherfuckers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:21:12 pm by crash2455 »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:18 pm »

I wonder what would happen if you got the Hammerer to try to give justice to Morul....
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »

It would be like Wolverine, where you see missing chunks of flesh start to regrow themselves the moment they're torn off.

No, I don't think he'll try to take revenge on the hammerer, if that's what you're thinking. That's hardcoded.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2009, 11:48:08 pm »

Morul and Ironblood vs HFS

For this encounter, I really tried to outfit both combatants in masterwork gear, but the odds of it happening even with a level 100 weapon/armorsmith are surprisingly low.  They went into combat with masterwork weapons and some masterwork armor.

Round 1:  Defeat:  Captain was killed, Morul broke his toe and decided to rest (dumbass).
Score: Ironblood 2, Morul 6

Round 2: Defeat: Captain and Morul bit the flaming dust after trying to fight 6 SoF at once
Score: Ironblood 0, Morul 3

Round 3: Defeat. Morul died after the Captain retreated, following a mangled arm.  The Captain jumped back into combat after some "quick healing," where he was killed by some SoF firebreath.
Score: Ironblood 1, Morul 6

Round 4: Defeat. Things went well until the Captain stepped straight into a fireball, which broke or mangled important limbs.  Morul kept going until he was set on fire and forced to retreat.
Score: Ironblood 3, Morul 8

Round 5: Defeat. Morul and Ironblood each killed a number of demons, but accumulated brown wounds so they ran back to their beds to rest.  A little "quick healing" put them right back in the game.  A few more SoF showed up and eventually managed to hit Ironblood with a fireball, which disabled him totally and completely.  Morul kept fighting, but a minor injury caused him to retreat.
Score: Ironblood 4, Morul 2

From what I've been seeing, the problem with this fight lies in the fact that Dwarves will retreat from SoF if they take moderately light injuries, so even a dwarf as tough as Morul just starts running if his toe gets bruised.

Highlights

It would be like Wolverine, where you see missing chunks of flesh start to regrow themselves the moment they're torn off.

And yeah, I saw that happen when Morul was fighting the SoF.  His light grey and brown wounds healed in like 3 frames.  I think it might have been a fluke.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:02:38 am by crash2455 »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:37 am »

I think it might have been a fluke.

Nope, he does that all the time. I've only seen 2 brown wounds on him, but they were gone as soon as he killed whoever was next to him.

Morul stood up much better here - I'm sure that's Morul's almost double toughness showing through, and the agility should help Morul dodge the fireballs better. 25 SoF to Captain's 10 sounds generous to Morul, but at least in the ballpark.

I wonder if they stay in battle more consistently if you lock them in with the SoF so they can't get to their beds to rest.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:14 am »

Hmm. . . I should try that.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 71