Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255322 times)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:20 pm »

are we talking about orc or morul/ironblood body parts? Orc body parts can easily fly 17 z-levels after being smashed in a solid rock face by a legandary hammerdwarf witha masterfull iron warhammer and such. So morul will probably take out mars with an orc left upper leg...

But seriously, has anyone ever tested if objects such as body parts can fly so high they disappear from the map? Or do they just hit a magic ceiling and fall down again?

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »

The contingency plan is the most bad ass plan in all of video games, right up there with the forerunners and the rings.

Sure. Well I wasn't talking about the 90s game but that is pretty cool too.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 24, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

Another siege. 5 squads.

I extended the main entrance to now include the long tunnel that Morul once sent an orc on a rocketsled ride down. Two 3-wide drawbridges give caravan access and a drawbridge at the very end allows a number of squads to get locked in. Two got trapped in the tunnel this season and Morul took out the other 3 squads first, breaking the siege, and then took out the two in the tunnel. Much more efficient.

487 kills now and another attribute (I haven't looked up which one). He's much more efficient with the hammer than the mace - more flying orcs and less time stuck in a pile. I'm going to increase the orc size in the raws to stretch the battles out a bit further. He's up to adept hammerdwarf, so that's making somewhat better progress than mace did. Next will come the pointy things - I think I'll start with spear since waiting until Morul is stronger is probably not a great idea. Since I'm trying to keep the pop under 80 so the community will have any megabeasts to play with and the pop is currently at 74, losing a champion or two won't cause me to shed a tear.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »

Another siege - 4 squads. Used the tunnel again to good effect. Morul was able to get them all. 551 kills. The siege snuck up on me before I could change the raws, so I'll do that now. We're making adamantine plate mail to try and get the sieges to be larger and more frequent. At 360K per masterwork set, it should get the job done. More valuable than statues for the material cost, even when you install them for the double value.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 24, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »

You could decorate bolts with adamantine if you're willing to use an exploit to really rack up the wealth. Er, assuming bolts can be studded with metal, which I can't offhand remember.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 25, 2009, 12:04:46 am »

Mayday sent me the formula and Morul is level 166.

I can't believe I forgot about studding ammo. I've got a mountain of masterwork ammo.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 25, 2009, 03:32:11 am »

I posted this in Nist Akath as well.

Okay, so I've finally run some battles.  As Martin requested, I'm doing a few sets of fights wherein neither Ironblood nor Morul had any equipment, aside from their damaged clothes.  I should also mention that I'll be doing some fights with weapons later on.

I tried to keep the conditions as balanced as possible:  Rounds follow with the fighters in the following DC conditions: Round 1 Morul as inv1, Round 2 Captain as inv1, Round 3 Morul as Inv2, Round 4 Captain as inv2, and repeating from there. 

The videos for the fights are posted here, though I did post the results of each round.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:41:32 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

LostNumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 25, 2009, 03:38:33 am »

That Morul is beating the Captain is, at the same time, very very wrong and oh so right.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18:28 am »

It's really hard to get single shot kills with no weapons. The weapon damage values + modifiers are what really do all the work.

In a hand-to-hand match, Morul's higher toughness puts the odds well in his favor if the combat formula that was posted before is accurate. With about 2x the toughness as Captain (and equal strength), it makes sense then that he's winning 2x the battles in this setting.

I think once the weapons come into play, it'll even up. Morul's slightly higher agility should let him dodge a bit better, but if Captain gets a hit in (and with higher skills, he might do this very consistently), Morul will be done for.

If armor works the way I think it does, Morul's usual armor + toughness might stop Captain cold, even with an axe. The armor should add a LOT in Morul's favor.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2009, 01:23:25 pm »

I posted this in Nist Akath as well

Morul vs Ironblood, now with weapons!

Alright, so for this set of fights, I have given Morul an =Adamantine Mace= and The Captain a =<<-Steel Battle Axe->>=.  I figured since they're fighting each other in their clothes, the quality and material of the weapon really don't matter that much since these guys can kill each other in one punch.

I also noticed that the invaders tend to pause for a few seconds before fighting, so I placed the fighters farther apart.

Fighters will fight in the following conditions:  Odd Rounds Morul will be inv1, and Even rounds the Captain will be inv1.  Let the battle begin!

Rounds 1 - 10

Okay, so the difference in equipment was apparently enough to count, since the captain only won if he wasn't hit.  I'm doing another ten rounds with The Captain having a *Adamantine Battle Axe*.  I'm not giving Morul a better weapon because at this point the difference in damage bonuses is 1000% (The captain) vs 900% (Morul) as opposed to the original 293% vs 900% bonus difference.

Rounds 11-20

Finally, I decided to give them both Low Grade Copper weapons and see what happens then.

Rounds 21-30

Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2009, 01:27:02 pm »

Looks to me like the weapon skills make quite a large difference.  Since Morul's a higher Wrestler, he kills in hand-to-hand much easier than if Ironblood has his highest weapon versus Morul's.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:22 pm »

QUEST:

Make a mature fortress (ideally 200+ dwarves),
Copy Morul and Ironblood into the game, outside, and set them hostile.
Try to survive!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:50 pm »

Looks to me like the weapon skills make quite a large difference.  Since Morul's a higher Wrestler, he kills in hand-to-hand much easier than if Ironblood has his highest weapon versus Morul's.

The wrestler skills are pretty close, but Morul's toughness is almost double that of Captain's - I'm almost positive that's the deciding factor.

Otherwise, Morul has pretty terrible weapon skills compared to Captain with his axe. Morul's only advantage there is agility and avoiding the hits, and that doesn't go all that far - certainly not far enough. The other difference is the type of weapon. I imagine Captain's skill was with hammer rather than axe, Morul would stand a better chance by eliminating the critical advantage of the bladed weapon. Actually, that'd be an interesting experiment - move Captain's high axe skill to hammer and equip him with a hammer and give Morul an axe at his current axe level and see how they fare then.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2009, 05:29:20 pm »

I started digging out the magma moat (running out of construction projects) which triggered a fey mood - something I haven't had in 10 years. Got an artifact adamantine short sword out of it, which should be fun for Morul to play with.

I know there was some debate over whether artifact weapons/armor have modifiers on them, and might in fact be weaker than masterwork. Did we get any definitive answer on that?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2009, 05:31:14 pm »

The wiki says they're identical to Masterwork in damage, but have a better value. I'm not sure whether that's accurate or not.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71