Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255015 times)

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #435 on: June 19, 2009, 05:25:21 pm »

Don't know - the Mac 40d doesn't give framerate (I understand this is fixed up in d10 or so). But it's a bit slow. Not sure why - item count isn't climbing. Population is stable. Critters are all locked up tight.

With my experience with both versions, Mac DF is crazy slow when compared to its Windows Counterpart.  When I moved from Mac DF to Windows DF, the game moved so fast that I actually couldn't keep up with it at first.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »

Don't know - the Mac 40d doesn't give framerate (I understand this is fixed up in d10 or so). But it's a bit slow. Not sure why - item count isn't climbing. Population is stable. Critters are all locked up tight.

With my experience with both versions, Mac DF is crazy slow when compared to its Windows Counterpart.  When I moved from Mac DF to Windows DF, the game moved so fast that I actually couldn't keep up with it at first.

I haven't gotten Windows installed on this machine yet, but on my previous machine, the Mac version wasn't notably slower. Maybe I'll get it installed and test on d11, since I can get framerate comparisons.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2009, 05:13:15 am »

i hope Morul doesnt get a heartattack soon
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

Now in summer, 240.

Got another siege - 5 squads. Morul cleared out 3 1/2 but the rest ran off. Lots of ranged units in this one, and they still present a risk to Morul - he got dinged up this time. Nothing to stick him in bed, but it looks like he caught a bolt in the arm and got a brown wound and a bunch of light grey ones. They healed up quickly, but one of these times he might catch a crit in the throat, heart/lungs, or face. They really unloaded on him though - bolts flying everywhere.

He's up to master macedwarf and the social skills are high master. I think after mace I'll move him to sword.

We've got about 20 full sets of masterwork steel armor now as part of wealth creation. I thought about making some statues, but realized that the only legendary blacksmith is Morul. Might have to train up another one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 21, 2009, 08:09:02 am »

Now in summer, 240.

Got another siege - 5 squads. Morul cleared out 3 1/2 but the rest ran off. Lots of ranged units in this one, and they still present a risk to Morul - he got dinged up this time. Nothing to stick him in bed, but it looks like he caught a bolt in the arm and got a brown wound and a bunch of light grey ones. They healed up quickly, but one of these times he might catch a crit in the throat, heart/lungs, or face. They really unloaded on him though - bolts flying everywhere.

He's up to master macedwarf and the social skills are high master. I think after mace I'll move him to sword.

We've got about 20 full sets of masterwork steel armor now as part of wealth creation. I thought about making some statues, but realized that the only legendary blacksmith is Morul. Might have to train up another one.
Have you considered making a walled off area to trap attackers in so you get them all?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 21, 2009, 09:08:04 am »

<_< >_> Structure it (near)identically to your hunting areas. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 21, 2009, 10:43:59 am »

We've got about 20 full sets of masterwork steel armor now...

No adamantine? He deserves it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 21, 2009, 12:25:29 pm »

Morul's in adamantine, of course. But he's making this armor purely for wealth generation purposes, and it seems a bit wrong somehow to use adamantine for that, even though it'd work very well.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 21, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »

Adamantine is limited, use it for specific instances when you need uber equipment.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 21, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »

Not to mention that there is no way to level up a dwarf to legendary strand extracting. There is a slim chance that a fey mood will hit one, but that chance is incredibly slim, less than one percent. Although I think using Dwarf Companion, you can tweak the mood to make it give legendary strand extractor.

nm, misread the wiki, it's a non-moodable skill.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:54:39 pm by smjjames »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 21, 2009, 12:54:19 pm »

He did strand extracting with a bogus reaction.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 21, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »

He did strand extracting with a bogus reaction.

Or that, I'm going to fix the wiki page since it has strand extractor under the stuff that have a chance for a mood to hit, but it's a non-moodable skill.

Edit: nm, should pay a bit more attention to what I'm reading I guess.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2009, 01:52:36 pm »

I do have a walled off area, but it's really damn hard to get them all in there. When 5 squads show up, 1-2 will always remain at the map edge while the others charge in. No sooner than Morul takes out 2-3 squads, the rest just turn and run. The hunting arena is open to the outside (which I use to return the animals to the pen) but I don't think it'd be much more successful than I have been so far.

Maybe I should send Morul after the squads at the map edge first? I'll try that next time.

I have around 700 adamantium wafers. I could turn out some more armor, but I need to get a blacksmith trained up - I have places for statues, but no legendary blacksmith (other than Morul).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 21, 2009, 02:15:38 pm »

Say... in Nist Akath somewhere, I think somebody did some hacking to pull a legendary dwarf out of the military. Not sure how; Mayday just posted "Thanks to [name] who helped me do this" more or less. Might be an option for Morul.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »

ADDED: THE COMBAT SYSTEM!

Linky!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71