Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 254867 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:33 am »

Captain Ironblood is from Nist Akath:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19279.0

Awesome story - the fortress has been going on for two real world years.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2009, 11:17:13 am »

You would see Ironblood running from just at the horizon at Morul, who would be shining off his adamantine equipment. He would look up and see that little dot on the horizon, and ask "What is that there?" really loudly. From the horizon, all he could hear in response is this: "I haven't finished my crumpet!"

Then the blood would spill. ;D
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:27 pm »

Don't be silly.  Morul IS Ironblood.  They are just different manifestations of the same entity.  They are so awesome, that their presence spans whole alternate worlds.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2009, 08:15:55 pm »

Nah, they're pretty clearly two different dwarves. Morul's amazing strength comes from a long life of work and dedication whereas Ironblood's reknowned abilities stem from leading a rough life in one of the most hellish landscapes known to dwarf where even mere survival is a struggle against the greatest odds.

Of course, that rough life won't do him much good when Morul throws him into the sun, but them's the breaks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:17:28 pm by Ubiq »

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

Of course, all of Morul's training wont help him any when Ironblood throws the sun back at him, but them's the breaks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:44 pm »

Why Ironblood has the advantage:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CRUMPET]
[NAME:crumpet:crumpets]
[DAMAGE:600:BLUDGEON]
[CRIT_BOOST:10]
[WEIGHT:3]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]

Remember, you have to consider ALL the factors.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2009, 09:09:47 am »

What am I thinking?

This is an adamantine crumpet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with rubicelle and menaces with spikes of adamantine. On the item is an image of two dwarfs in black bronze. The dwarf is striking a menacing pose. The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2009, 12:26:05 pm »

A morul - Ironblood showdown could end in 3 ways:

3: Both are simply immortal, playing tennis with each other as the balls for the rest of eternity. All copies of dwarf fortress, EVERYWHERE, would be shocked so badly that whatever they are installed on would explode violently*

You missed Option 4:

Morul and Ironblood hammer on each other for a while.  Mountains crumble.  Oceans drain.  Then, one of the fissures opened when they clashed releases Hidden Fun Stuff.

Morul and Ironblood look at each other, and smile.

"We split the adamantine by percentage of kills?"
"Only if the things from underground count double."
"You're on."

They turn, and charge towards the screaming dwarves, elves, kobolds and goblins who are being tormented by the creatures from deep underground, pausing only to slay anything that isn't a dwarf.

As they close on their foes, each roars out a dwarven battlecry.

Fade to black.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2009, 03:23:17 pm »

Ironblood and Morul walk into a building.

The building collapses.

Someone had to put on "Hammer Time"...
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2009, 03:25:00 pm »

Morul just got done sparring with one of the other champions with a silver mace in one hand and a barrel of sunshine in the other.

"Sure, we can fight. Do I have to put down my beer first? No? Ok, cool."

I'm hoping for a siege this season. It's been a while.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2009, 05:17:22 pm »

Morul just got done sparring with one of the other champions with a silver mace in one hand and a barrel of sunshine in the other.

"Please, Morul, don't let go of the barrel.  We want this to be a fair fight..."
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »

You fools!
THESE ARE DWARVES.
BOOZE ONLY MAKES THEM STRONGER.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2009, 07:01:02 pm »

Well, the guy is just a champion after all. It's not like Morul is going to inconvenience himself for a minor thing like that.

Have you tried enraging other civilizations into sending a siege of their own?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2009, 07:06:45 pm »

Ok, siege showed up. 4 squads, 3 of which were kind enough to converge on Morul, who is locked out of the fortress mainly to ensure that nobody steals his kills. So this is a 48 on 1 situation, armed with a mace at talented skill. The orcs are slightly nerfed in that their size is one lower than normal, but I upgraded them to steel weapons/armor, so that probably balances out. With no flux, I wanted the steel supply rather than iron.

The first screen grab shows him after he's worked through about 2 of the squads. Note that there are 4 orcs simultaneously in midair within about 6 tiles of Morul. Every so often he does this superhero thing where 3-4 enemies will almost simultaneously be thrown, and then he'll go a while when none get thrown. It's a bit odd.

The 2nd shows Morul's wounds just a few kills later - I think he's burned through about 35 of the 48 from those squads (crushers, lancers, lashers with the usual mix of wrestlers). No light grey, not even tired.

After he finished these 3 squads off I sent him off to clobber the 4th that was still sitting on the edge of the map. I was surprised they hadn't taken off - usually that last one flees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: 65 kills from this siege (a kobold thief showed up in the middle and was promptly swatted out of the way). He's up to high master armor user (started the siege as accomplished), but mace is still talented. My guess is there was a lot of wrestling in there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:22:59 pm by Martin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »

Have you tried enraging other civilizations into sending a siege of their own?

Not yet, but I can turn the ballista on the human caravan if the need arises. The 4 orc squads was encouraging. I've been building and installing clear glass windows which adds about 100K to the fortress wealth for each floor, so maybe that's helping bring the orcs back.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71