Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255013 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:28 am »

Archery at least should be fairly trivial to train so long as you have hostile targets. Each shot grants a significant amount of experience, and I don't believe strength has any impact on killing power for crossbows (and if it does, it really, really shouldn't). I seem to recall getting a champion marksdwarf just by cleaning out the contents of a cave river once.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2009, 12:21:48 am »

Archery at least should be fairly trivial to train so long as you have hostile targets. Each shot grants a significant amount of experience, and I don't believe strength has any impact on killing power for crossbows (and if it does, it really, really shouldn't). I seem to recall getting a champion marksdwarf just by cleaning out the contents of a cave river once.

I'm worried that I'm running out of orcs. I only got one siege in the last 3 years, and that only had 3 squads, where they've always been 5 before.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2009, 12:45:16 am »

Start breeding stuff again, then let him lose. Or have him sit behind some fortifications, built on the z level above, to keep him from trying to hammer animals.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2009, 03:38:41 pm »

Ok, the lack of sparring was annoying me, so I decided to hand Morul a mace and turn him loose on the siege that just arrived. Again, only 3 squads, but he did quite well - wiping out one full squad and part of a 2nd while the rest fled. No wounds of any kind. (He had gotten a light gray brain injury ages ago while hunting which hasn't healed yet. Sometimes they do, so we'll see...)

He's up to Macedwarf, High Master Marksdwarf, Expert Wrestler, Competent Axedwarf, Competent Speardwarf, Proficient Hammerdwarf, and Talented Armor/Shield User. Most of the wrestler and all of the axe, hammer are from his hunting stint. The rest are since he got in the military and he hasn't picked up a sword yet.

I do have a treat, though. The mace is all blunt force so we can get some sense of his striking ability:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We'll just have to see how he does when he's not just a mere Macedwarf (though it was a masterwork adamantine mace). I haven't found the dwarf olympic record, but I think Morul is probably in contention considering that many people don't even play on maps that are 155 tiles across.

Oh, his social skills are all proficient now. He spends more time in his bedroom than the meeting hall, so they only improve when his wife is there, and she's been busy lately weaving all the cave spider silk that the fortress is finally getting around to collecting (almost 8,000 sitting around the chasm).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:40:35 pm by Martin »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2009, 03:42:17 pm »

And who knows how much further if he hadn't run outa hallway.  Might have still been flying.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:50 pm »

I think i'm going to cry.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 08, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

And who knows how much further if he hadn't run outa hallway.  Might have still been flying.

Yeah, he was really zooming along.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 08, 2009, 05:02:24 pm »

(He had gotten a light gray brain injury ages ago while hunting which hasn't healed yet. Sometimes they do, so we'll see...)

That'd be his sparring problem, and nervous injuries never heal. Unless you go to body_default.txt and temporarily remove [NERVOUS] from the afflicted body part. For the brain, it's [THOUGHT], but doing that causes everybody to flop over and go unconscious and not be able to do anything. Flying creatures tend to fall into chasms with this, if it's a concern.

And holy cow on the flying orc. You need to get a tower and devise an orc delivery system to Morul so we can really see how far his home runs really are without that pesky terrain to get in the way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:25 pm »

I do have a treat, though. The mace is all blunt force so we can get some sense of his striking ability:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And thus we see the first tentative steps of the Dwarfish Aeronautics and Space Administration. Sure, this was a horizontal shot, but one day an orc will walk on the moon.

You need to figure out a way to trap the siege so that they can't run away from Morul. Maybe set up a system of drawbridges that rise up behind then.

I'd also like to see what he does while armed with a crossbow when he hits Champion in that category. I'm guessing that it'd be the dwarfish equivalent of the Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 08, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »

Maybe you'll get lucky and the brain injury will heal on his next stat-up.

But probably not.  It's going to take way too many sieges to get him legendary in all the weapons at this rate.  Might want to design an entrance that will trap all future sieges and keep them from running away.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2009, 09:11:42 pm »

You need to figure out a way to trap the siege so that they can't run away from Morul. Maybe set up a system of drawbridges that rise up behind then.

There is one - if you look right at the edge of the magma pipe you can see a 2x3 retracting bridge. The problem is that the 2nd squad wouldn't cross the bridge and the 3rd wouldn't get within 50 tiles of the bridge. I miss my 5 squad sieges. I might have to turn the ballista on the humans to liven the place up. They have a pretty massive civilization, so it should take a while to wipe them out.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2009, 05:35:48 am »

Perhaps you could make like a completely "open" area, with lots of unwanted dogs/civilians, which also has Morul, so the orcs are attracted into the area and while they are killing all of the dogs/civilians, Morul can just pick them all off.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2009, 07:36:48 am »

I've played a game like this for the longest time.  One dwarf trying to legendary every skill.

After some 16 years of playing I've got 7-8 levels in 20 or so skills and legendary in maybe 4.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2009, 10:29:57 am »

I've played a game like this for the longest time.  One dwarf trying to legendary every skill.

After some 16 years of playing I've got 7-8 levels in 20 or so skills and legendary in maybe 4.

I think the key in my case was to:

1) limit the growth of the fortress so that I didn't have more dwarves than I needed
2) Design *everything* around Morul.

If Morul needed to walk more than 5 steps to get something, then I redesigned the work area. I'd quantum dump if needed to get it to work. Some things were harder - trapping/hunting/etc. but I'd take every measure I could to make things faster for Morul, and I generally wouldn't have more than one skill working at a time, so there was no time spent running back and forth between different jobs.

It's a LOT of micromanaging for some things, but not too bad for others. When I went to do glass/gems I had already done weave/clothes, and we had around 1000 bags between what Morul made and what was made after. I had at least 600 sandbags filled while Morul did other things, so when he started on glassmaking, he never ran out of sand, and almost the entire fortress could be pressed to make sure there was always a sandbag right next to his workshop. He made raw glass which was all quantum dumped in a pile right in the center of the workshop. With no gem stockpile to receive the glass, I could claim the whole stack and Morul could to the task with no walking needed. The cut glass was then dumped right back into the same stockpile (with some more produced because of large glass gems) so that there were 600 cut gems ready for gemsetting. He had to walk to get the finished goods, but they were kept as close as possible.

Walking absolutely kills this challenge, so workshops were routinely torn down and moved, food and booze stockpiles moved to be closer to him, things like that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2009, 11:32:17 am »

That was one hell of a shot.  He deserves some kind of medal.

I have a feeling that the orc that had been thrown halfway may have gone just as far had he not hit the sidewall.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71