Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255146 times)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:59 am »

Any progress? I recommend buying some wooden spears from the elves to slightly reduce his chances of one-hitting the animals. Also, see if the elves bring any breeding couples of large animals, such as elephant, hopefully they should be harder to kill and help level up his armor/shield skills.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2009, 12:19:29 pm »

Not much progress. Life has seriously intervened but the fortress will have time to run today. Morul knocked the wild animal population down from ~500 to <100 and only got competent speardwarf to show for it. I drafted a new solider, took two of my champion marksdwarves and set them for wrestling as well as Morul and am trying to get the 4 of them to spar. So far nobody will spar with Morul, but it's only been a few weeks. The barracks level is finished and furniture is going in and I'm moving weapons and armor around. None of the other soldiers have any armor and I have a bunch of masterwork steel for them to get into once the hauling is done.

I haven't gotten around to making weak weapons, but that'll be easy enough - there's plenty of silver and wood.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2009, 12:21:50 pm »

No sooner had I hit submit do I return to the fortress to see that a vile force of darkness has arrived. I haven't seen orcs in some time. I think Morul will get a crossbow now...

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »

Not much progress. Life has seriously intervened but the fortress will have time to run today. Morul knocked the wild animal population down from ~500 to <100 and only got competent speardwarf to show for it. I drafted a new solider, took two of my champion marksdwarves and set them for wrestling as well as Morul and am trying to get the 4 of them to spar. So far nobody will spar with Morul, but it's only been a few weeks. The barracks level is finished and furniture is going in and I'm moving weapons and armor around. None of the other soldiers have any armor and I have a bunch of masterwork steel for them to get into once the hauling is done.

I haven't gotten around to making weak weapons, but that'll be easy enough - there's plenty of silver and wood.

You can't make your own weak weapons, they can only be bought from elves.

You can make bone/wood crossbows though, and without bolts he will use it as a weak hammer, which would be great for training hammerdwarf.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:47 pm »

You can. Silver weapons do the same damage as wood.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:20 pm »

You can't make your own weak weapons, they can only be bought from elves.

You can make bone/wood crossbows though, and without bolts he will use it as a weak hammer, which would be great for training hammerdwarf.

Silver is as weak as wood, no? And I can have an unskilled weaponsmith make them. I've got 37 bars of silver, and I can request more from both humans and dwarves. Shouldn't be a problem.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2009, 01:48:24 pm »

And there for years I thought making full silber squads is a awesome idear...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2009, 01:52:23 pm »

Dude, I could oufit most of my fort with 37 bars of silver.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2009, 02:23:02 pm »

Dude, I could oufit most of my fort with 37 bars of silver.

Yeah, well, I tend to overdo things.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »

That's an understatement!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2009, 10:26:30 pm »

Another 2 seasons down and Morul still hasn't sparred with anyone, nor will he use the archery range.

I wonder if his experience/other skills might be getting in the way of training.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2009, 10:35:14 pm »

This may sound like a really odd question, but is he off duty?  Are the other dwarves off duty?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »

This may sound like a really odd question, but is he off duty?  Are the other dwarves off duty?

Very good question.

He is off duty, as are the others. I've checked, oh, about 1000 times now... I've checked that the barracks are designated and sufficiently clear of items that they have room to spar (and other dwarves are sparring). I've checked that the archery range wasn't forbidden, or anything like that. I've made sure that he had someone identically equipped so that sparring would happen. All of that. Just not happening...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:37 pm »

I have a theory based on evidence from previous fortresses. I suspect that dwarves decide to practice based on their experience - the less experienced they are, the more likely they are to go to the archery range or the barracks, the more experienced they are, the less likely they are to need to do these things.

I suspect this is determined independent of skill levels, but based solely on total experience. IOW, this is going to take a long-ass time. I'll keep watching.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:02 pm »

Good news, everyone!

Morul just showed up at the archery range, so all hope is not lost. We'll see how many seasons after this it takes him to actually spar with the other dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 71