Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255151 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2009, 08:45:17 am »

"Urist McRedshirt, take this pick and strike that wall."

"Yessir!"

"AAAAAAUGGGHH IT BURNS!"

"He's dead, Vabok."

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2009, 08:54:00 am »

assign all your good miners a spot of digging on the far side of a room with a solid door.

When they are all in there, lock them in, then get a worthless unskilled one, and give em the labor of DEATH....

The magma is cleansing to the soul.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2009, 09:06:20 am »

Alternatively,  assign  stone detailing duty to the lamb.  Smooth the wall,  then carve Fortification in it.  You have a built in filter for the imps now!

I will say, though,    that I have never lost an Engraver to this method. 

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2009, 09:21:43 am »

Oh, I LIKE that.

But can't vermine with fire element spawn within 6 squares of the magma pipe?  Or the same within 6 of an underground river of a water type?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2009, 10:01:23 am »

Yeah,  they can.  Thus,  it's usually a good idea to have a decent length run for the magma to go down before it reaches your usable areas.  i don't think fortifications can stop vermin, anyway.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »

I should note that there is no vermin. Morul eliminated them all. And the pipe is tapped. I wussed out, turned off temp, and sent the miners in. My reason for that is that I don't think you can drain a pipe with a single tile tap, so my tap is 3 tiles wide. With temp on, I couldn't think of any way to achieve that.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2009, 02:00:09 pm »

I should note that there is no vermin. Morul eliminated them all. And the pipe is tapped. I wussed out, turned off temp, and sent the miners in. My reason for that is that I don't think you can drain a pipe with a single tile tap, so my tap is 3 tiles wide. With temp on, I couldn't think of any way to achieve that.

Dig up to the last obsidian edge, then channel from above. Could be one tile wide, four tiles, even six tiles if you have the space for it.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »

His pipe geometry sucks, Wahad.  I'm sure he would have done that.

You have to have 3 separate taps to do it normal.  Make sure to wash that miner off before you turn temp back on.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2009, 02:02:52 pm »

dig against the hot rock all the way down making a channeled collum to the lowest level, the entire bottom floor is your magma pool with a tower of pumps to get some back where you want it.

Now start at the top and channel  1 2 3, then dig a down/up staircase on 4
after the magma has poured out of that level, channel 1, 2, 3, and down/up again on 4 until you've hit bottom or your bottom level is a lake of fire

maybe?

if this works, I'll make such a level, flood with water, and have a massive full level obcidian farm, dumping an entire pipe each season
GENERATION 28:

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2009, 02:04:58 pm »

His pipe geometry sucks, Wahad.  I'm sure he would have done that.

You have to have 3 separate taps to do it normal.  Make sure to wash that miner off before you turn temp back on.

Fair enough. I'll admit I didn't look into what map I had before I made that post.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »

Dig up to the last obsidian edge, then channel from above. Could be one tile wide, four tiles, even six tiles if you have the space for it.

Yeah, that's normally what I do, but the only place on this map to do that was 4 levels up and I wanted to try draining it all the way down as far as possible. Oh well, this is all one big experiment for me anyway.

I'm thinking I'll do a massive excavation of the magma pipe to make a magma moat around the fortress as well as leaving space to incorporate Moruls suite.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:05 pm »

Ok, getting adamantine masterwork items is really goddamn hard. Morul has turned out 40 crossbows and not one is masterwork. That's 12% of the strands down so far.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2009, 07:03:40 pm »

Do you have legendary strand extracting?

If so, just screw it and do the infinite adamantine reaction.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2009, 07:15:03 pm »

Do you have legendary strand extracting?

If so, just screw it and do the infinite adamantine reaction.

Yeah, he just finished up strand extracting. And yes, I modded olivine to give up strands since I have about 4,000 olivine stone. No shortage of green material on a map with sand and magma. But still, this is going to take ages at this rate.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »

That's funny, I still think of adamantine as green from when I played Runescape.
They called the cyan rocks runite.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 71