Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255166 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2009, 01:41:38 pm »

With a mini-volcano inside of it?

I'll see what I can come up with.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »

Have you considered modding to make him able to get the "Legendary thrower"?  You've used mods to make other impossible skills possible, so why not thrower too?

I'm open to suggestions, but I haven't found any way to do this yet.
Would there be some way to change the xp gained from something, or copy the throwing part of the tantrum text?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2009, 02:36:27 pm »

not without fundamentally changing the game.  Stuff like that isn't in the raws.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:34 pm »

Ooh, looks like it's coming along nicely. Adv-mode equivalent could do this with a skill-weapon set, but it just wouldn't be the same...though it would get Throwing easily, and have access to all the weapon skills, and e'en that...druid skill was it? Yeah.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2009, 11:17:36 pm »

You can get any skill in adventure mode with modding, even tracker, druid, or knife weilder; you just got to change what skill a weapon uses.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2009, 06:12:12 am »

You can get any skill in adventure mode with modding, even tracker, druid, or knife weilder; you just got to change what skill a weapon uses.
you can also get knife wielding by swinging a dagger.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »

1st Moonstone, 228, Early Winter

Metal tasks are SOOO much easier than fish extracting. Morul became a legendary weaponsmith today, and provided the fortress with a modest number of masterwork steel corkscrews. We'll see if we can find a use for them.

1st Hematite, 229, Early Summer

Everyone's attention was down in the to-be royal suite, but sometime in the last few days, Morul became a legendary woodcrafter.

27th Galena, 229, Late Summer

Morul finished up metalcrafting. Lots of chains to melt down now. That just leaves strand extracting and the last push on record keeping as the last labor skills. Following that, Morul will create a collection of armor and weapons for his use, along with some special items for his suite, once it gets built.

A special training area is being created that will allow Morul to train up swimming, and that should be ready to go once he enters permanent military service.

The fortress has been organized solely for Morul's needs. Workshops are often in inconvenient locations, materials are scattered or put in huge piles. The dwarves are now reorganizing things to function more like a typical fortress. It'll take ages...

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector
13th Granite, 217, Early Spring - Lye Maker
25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer - Potash Maker
8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn - Siege Operator
27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn - Leatherworker
25th Hematite, 218, Early Summer - Animal Training
21st Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Tanning
27th Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Butcher
18th Granite, 219, Early Spring - Gem Cutter
23rd Felsite, 219, Late Spring - Mechanic
4th Limestone, 219, Early Autumn - Stonecrafter
26th Hematite, 221, Early Summer - Siege Engineer
24th Slate, 222, Mid-Spring - Ambusher
19th Limestone, 222, Early Autumn - Herbalist
26th Sandstone, 222, Mid-Autumn - Gem Setter
14th Galena, 225, Late Summer - Fishing
14th Sandstone, 225, Mid-Autumn - Fish Cleaning
12th Malachite, 226, Mid-Summer - Grower
21st Hematite, 227, Early Summer - Architect
3rd Malachite, 227, Mid-Summer - Soap Making
15th Limestone, 227, Early Autumn - Organizer
14th Felsite, 228, Late Spring - Fish Dissector
5th Hematite, 228, Early Summer - Animal Care
26th Hematite, 228, Early Summer - Pump Operating
6th Galena, 228, Late Summer - Armorsmith
1st Moonstone, 228, Early Winter - Weaponsmith
1st Hematite, 229, Early Summer - Woodcrafter
27th Galena, 229, Late Summer - Metalcrafter

Strand Extracting
Record Keeper

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »

I suggest making several full suits of Adamantine armor, plate and chain, with Adamantine cloaks, tunics, trousers, and socks, with several sets of Adamantine weapons, and shields.  Then go equip Morul in some of them, put them in a lead bin, and go get them, and Morul, as an adventurer.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »

I beleive somewhere in the language files you can add engravings. See if you can find a way to make engravings of Morul available, even if they're actually just random. In fact, you could do this for all the great legendary dwarves as well. "This is an engraving of the legandary Captain Ironblood"

+1: Make a dwarf hitting legendary in a stat an engraveable history event.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

I suggest making several full suits of Adamantine armor, plate and chain, with Adamantine cloaks, tunics, trousers, and socks, with several sets of Adamantine weapons, and shields.  Then go equip Morul in some of them, put them in a lead bin, and go get them, and Morul, as an adventurer.

Yeah, I was going to crank out at least a half dozen of each item. I'm still trying to figure out a reliable means to keep the whole naked fortress from descending on the finished goods. I think I'm going to have to just seal him off and then forbid everything when it's time for him to leave.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2009, 02:46:55 pm »

Sounds like a plan.  Make him haul, too.  Make sure they are all masterpeices.  No exceptional or worse allowed.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2009, 02:59:56 pm »

Sounds like a plan.  Make him haul, too.  Make sure they are all masterpeices.  No exceptional or worse allowed.

Yeah, that's the plan, but it'll take some time. He's Legendary +0, so he's only turning out 1 in 10 as masterwork or thereabouts. I'm going to have to rely on the adamantine reaction mod somewhat, I think.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »

Mining is a crappy job to get Legendary +5 in, due to mood.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2009, 05:03:37 pm »

I need to think about what kind of grand suite to give him. It's most tempting to put it in the magma pipe.

What are his preferences like?

Far as those masterwork corkscrews go, I suggest setting up his tomb near the main entrance, using a system of fountains to perpetually shroud his coffin in mist, and then marking it as a meeting hall. Station a few military dwarves around as an honor guard to make sure the peasants keep their hands off the exhibits. Use a glass coffin for that whole Lenin effect and so forth. This way dwarves can look up the final resting place of their greatest hero and get a happy thought out of it.

Another idea would be to build a floor out over the chasm and build a solid steel room housing his all-steel item tomb on the floor. After his death, seal the rooms on the side, pump it full of magma through open vents at the top, seal the top vents, and then drop it into the chasm below. It's excessive, but Morul is an excessive dwarf. Or, conversely, do the same thing, but with the magma pipe instead of the chasm.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:05:17 pm by Ubiq »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2009, 08:34:19 pm »

Morul Cattenmat likes Brimstone, Billon, Claro opal, pearl, black bear bone, the color blue, mountains, chain mail, quivers and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, he prefers to consume strawberry wine. He absolutely detests fire snakes.

I don't need to worry about the fire snakes any more - Morul extincted them during trapping/animal extraction (along with cave spiders and purring maggots).

I have a pair of black bears, but they aren't a mating pair. I'm holding out hope that the elves bring me another. I have a set of artifact chain mail that I considered letting him have in lieu of an adamantine set, but since we don't know artifact modifiers and it's brass, so I think the adamantine would be superior. I also have a turtle shell helm, which I'll also pass on.

I've got several artifact doors, weapon racks, cabinets, armor stand, etc. so I can probably work some of them into his suite and still keep the king/queen happy, or I can just go hog wild on the adamantine mod  and let him build a whole showroom of adamantine stuff.

But I was thinking of sacrificing a miner (the pipe geometry sucks for a safe tap), draining the magma pipe into the chasm and building a steel/adamantine/clear glass/soap suite suspended in the magma pipe, then letting it refill.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71