Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255315 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2009, 11:45:49 pm »

All 3. At the same time. With magma.
No benefit with magma.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2009, 12:15:43 am »

perhaps the wrong place, but will caravans path through 4 deep water?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2009, 12:21:26 am »

Dont think so, so you put the depot right across the pool, and the stairs to the rest of the fortress or the stockpiles on the other side of the pool. Then, when traders arrive, you have everyone except morul locked away, and have him haul a bunch of junk to the depot.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2009, 12:41:05 am »

Or you could just use a 1-2 fluctuating pool, that will work for swimming as well according to some users.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2009, 12:52:26 am »

Ah, yes. Forgot about swimming...

Ok, so easier to do as a soldier or a laborer?

As a laborer, I haven't started strand extraction which is going to take goddamn forever, but I could either put the pool between the workshop and the adamantium or I could put the workshop *in* the pool, if it doesn't cancel the task.

As a soldier, I could just station him in the pool, or does he need to move to swim? If he needs to move, I could rig the arena to flood from the underground river which is only a dozen tiles away or so. I can drain it into the chasm and bottomless pit when done. Morul would do his military training against wild animals in 3-4 deep water, so he'd be moving the whole time.

Maybe I'll pump some water out of the brook into the fishing room and do an experiment there.

Good thinking, Jhoosier.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2009, 05:20:29 am »

Have you considered modding to make him able to get the "Legendary thrower"?  You've used mods to make other impossible skills possible, so why not thrower too?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2009, 06:43:10 am »

I think he needs two things to commemorate his journey:

1) A statue studded with his favorite metals, bones from his favorite animals, both kinds of shell, and  several types of gem.  "Dedicated to MORUL, most interesting dwarf in the world.  In varietate gloria"

2) A dyed cave spider silk t-shirt, with dyed images of rope reed cloth, plant fiber cloth, cave spider silk cloth, and cave spider silk.  It should say, approximately:  "I worked for 30 years to become legendary at every skill and all I got was this ☼<<☼cave spider silk t-shirt☼>>☼."
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2009, 07:21:46 am »

I say let him build a massive tomb for himself. A tomb made of soap, metal blocks, raw adamantine blocks (assuming you have a reverse extract strands reaction) and other things. Include a waterfall for mechanic and architect. Put in ropes for weaving, dyeing and clothesmaking. And so on, try to let him use every possible skill and add a masterpiece object made with every skill that couldn't be used in the construction.

Then let him destroy an entire orc siege while inside of it to mark the tomb with his military skills. (Perhaps do this in a particular level of the tomb and then seal it, letting the bones and blood remain there).

EDIT: Also, perhaps you should place a coffin for a good friend/lover of him in the tomb as well, to mark social skills.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:26:49 am by Martian »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2009, 11:02:13 am »

The best way to do it is to just flood your meeting room with depth 4 water.  1,2 won't do it, and any more will have them drown.  Do you have a river, perchance?

Also flood your barracks.  Best to do as a military dwarf.  Like the social skills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2009, 11:05:27 am »

I've decided to purge my old fortress and play a new one with the orc mod.  So I flooded it (no magma, I'm afraid).  One dwarf had a melancholy, and threw himself into a pool... of 4 deep water.  He's now a swimmer.

Ooh!  Elite marksman went mad in jail!  Killed 4 people.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:42 am »

I dug ramps on the edge of my river.  My miners pathed through the (dry for a frame) ramp, and proceeded to step in.  One of them became a (no tag) swimmer.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2009, 01:11:22 pm »

Have you considered modding to make him able to get the "Legendary thrower"?  You've used mods to make other impossible skills possible, so why not thrower too?

I'm open to suggestions, but I haven't found any way to do this yet.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:35 pm »

The best way to do it is to just flood your meeting room with depth 4 water.  1,2 won't do it, and any more will have them drown.  Do you have a river, perchance?

Also flood your barracks.  Best to do as a military dwarf.  Like the social skills.

It's the dwarf heaven site - so I have a brook and underground river. Oh, and I have a good process to get a room to exactly a given depth, so uniform 4/7 isn't a problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:18:56 pm by Martin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2009, 01:18:12 pm »

I say let him build a massive tomb for himself. A tomb made of soap, metal blocks, raw adamantine blocks (assuming you have a reverse extract strands reaction) and other things. Include a waterfall for mechanic and architect. Put in ropes for weaving, dyeing and clothesmaking. And so on, try to let him use every possible skill and add a masterpiece object made with every skill that couldn't be used in the construction.

Then let him destroy an entire orc siege while inside of it to mark the tomb with his military skills. (Perhaps do this in a particular level of the tomb and then seal it, letting the bones and blood remain there).

EDIT: Also, perhaps you should place a coffin for a good friend/lover of him in the tomb as well, to mark social skills.

The constructions you and Jurph suggest should be doable enough. I have a pair of GCS caged that I haven't yet used so I can get GCS silk. (I modded their lifespan to be the same as the dwarves so they wouldn't die on me too soon).

I need to think about what kind of grand suite to give him. It's most tempting to put it in the magma pipe.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »

With a mini-volcano inside of it?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71