Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260241 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2009, 03:03:17 pm »

Yeah, he did get a fey mood and double down on mining. As for the other skills, I take him off almost immediately upon becoming legendary. One exception has been carpenter when I kept him on it a bit longer so that we could get some nice beds (everyone but him and the Dungeon Master shared 8 barrack beds for around 15 years, so I felt I owed them) so he might be Legendary +1 on that. Same will probably happen with armor/weapon since I'll bang out a bunch of adamantine armor and weapons at the very end of the labor stuff. My goal is to outfit him with masterwork adamantine everything, with a bunch of extra weapons and such just in case.

I've never managed to get a military dwarf up to legendary across the board without long, long, long passing legendary on the social stuff, so they'll be way over max when I'm done. Crossbow will probably be way over max as well since I'll have him skill up on that with sieges. One orc siege is usually good for just about legendary from nothing if he takes it singlehandedly and I'll probably have him break two of them. It's pretty fast, and they need to be done anyway.

Looking back through the announcements, it looks like he's picked up one attribute experience in about the last two skills (architect and organizer is now done, with a bit of record keeping and social mixed in), so that sounds about like what Jurph is expecting.

(Oh, and fish extracting is pissing me off. He's up to great, but it's taking ages and requires a lot of management from me. I like the repeat skills that I can just ignore for 3 hours and come back and find it done.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:05:02 pm by Martin »

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2009, 03:38:53 pm »

One orc siege is usually good for just about legendary from nothing if he takes it singlehandedly and I'll probably have him break two of them. It's pretty fast, and they need to be done anyway.

I'll assume Morul moves at near lightning speed, and will be dealing deadly blows on practically every strike... but I imagine that the first time he swings his axe/hammer/fist/beard and the scrum of orcs go flying in all directions, the rest will try to retreat.  Will Morul be able to catch them?  I know he's going to be able to chase most of them down, I'm just concerned that the retreating orcs will cost you valuable melee swings if they get away.

Also: when you decide to turn him loose in combat, can you pretty please capture a video for the DFMA?  I want to see an orcsplosion.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:07 pm »

He'll take care of the first 1-2 sieges from an elevated position using the crossbow. I routinely get 3-4 of the 5 squads wandering into my trade depot area, who are systematically cut down. If I get the timing right, I can get 4-5 past the drawbridge and ensure a more thorough execution.

For the other skills, I was actually going to have him train up on the wildlife in the basement. There's somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 wild animals down there and I can lock him in and have him skill up on them quite safely. Once fully skilled up, that's when I was going to put him in harms way.

Yes, I'll post video, and what's more, I'll post the save so y'all can play with him too.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:14 pm »

I've got to wonder what he looks like, or what his personality is like.  He's this supremely skilled dwarf, perfect in every stat, singlehandly supporting an entire fortress (so he's unbelievably charitable)...
Does he even walk anymore, or does he float along?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2009, 11:42:05 pm »

Morul Cattenmat is confident under pressure. He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity. He dislikes intellectual discussions. He is modest. He is confident. He has a sense of duty. He acts impulsively. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2009, 01:57:49 am »

Morul Cattenmat is confident under pressure.
Bad (for tantrums, he'd probably shatter all at once)
He does not have a great aesthetic sensitivity.
Never really see an impact from this one... less happy thoughts from sand bags he walks by?
He dislikes intellectual discussions.
Slower social skills?  less happy thoughts from meeting trade liasons in fine offices?
He is modest.
He is confident.
Less fear...
He has a sense of duty.
Less canciled tasks?
He acts impulsively.
Less time thinking between tasks/nearests task,... very excelent!
He needs alcohol to get through the working day.
Dwarf... check!
He likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
Lack of vomit emisions... check.
He doesn't really care about anything anymore.
Don't we all?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2009, 02:51:44 am »

3rd Malachite, 227, Mid-Summer

After a pint and a bite Morul knocked out a few blocks of soap and became a legendary soaper. We now have more than enough wood to get through this.

15th Limestone, 227, Early Autumn

Morul was looking pretty run down so he took over the Manger job for a while and is not a legendary organizer.

14th Felsite, 228, Late Spring

After what seems an eternity, an effort supported by most of the fortress, Morul today became a legendary Fish Dissector. Now to go make some things that require counting - record keeping has been stalled for a while now.

5th Hematite, 228, Early Summer

Well, the days of tossing war dogs off a cliff are done. Morul is now a legendary animal caretaker. It's all downhill from here.

26th Hematite, 228, Early Summer

Morul can stop pumping air now that he's a legendary pump operator. Maybe 2 more years for everything but strand extraction.

6th Galena, 228, Late Summer

It's sad to melt down so much usable armor, but honestly, who needs 600 steel leggings? Legendary armorer is done.

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector
13th Granite, 217, Early Spring - Lye Maker
25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer - Potash Maker
8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn - Siege Operator
27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn - Leatherworker
25th Hematite, 218, Early Summer - Animal Training
21st Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Tanning
27th Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Butcher
18th Granite, 219, Early Spring - Gem Cutter
23rd Felsite, 219, Late Spring - Mechanic
4th Limestone, 219, Early Autumn - Stonecrafter
26th Hematite, 221, Early Summer - Siege Engineer
24th Slate, 222, Mid-Spring - Ambusher
19th Limestone, 222, Early Autumn - Herbalist
26th Sandstone, 222, Mid-Autumn - Gem Setter
14th Galena, 225, Late Summer - Fishing
14th Sandstone, 225, Mid-Autumn - Fish Cleaning
12th Malachite, 226, Mid-Summer - Grower
21st Hematite, 227, Early Summer - Architect
3rd Malachite, 227, Mid-Summer - Soap Making
15th Limestone, 227, Early Autumn - Organizer
14th Felsite, 228, Late Spring - Fish Dissector
5th Hematite, 228, Early Summer - Animal Care
26th Hematite, 228, Early Summer - Pump Operating
6th Galena, 228, Late Summer - Armorsmith

Weaponsmithing
Metalcrafting
Woodcrafting
Strand Extracting
Record Keeper

Never really see an impact from this one... less happy thoughts from sand bags he walks by?

Yeah, he seems impressed by his own creations, but rarely do I see him commenting on something someone else... oh, wait, he made virtually everything. Ah, well. Once he hits the military, I'll work on spiffing up the fortress some so maybe he'll get to see someone else's work. I forgot I have a king or queen to prepare for, and I'm still three layers above where I planned to put the royal suite.

Fish dissecting was horrible to finish up, and I think there's a real chance that Morul is the first ever legendary fish dissector. In the end turtles, lizards, olms, and cave fish were all modded to give up mog juice. Between the two skills, I expect that somewhere north of 1200 traps were placed. Each one centers the screen and pauses the game at least once. It took forever.

We're now down to 5 labor skills, two of which are pretty close to done. My big concern is that there's something from the list that I've missed - particularly a noble skill. Could people look it over and see if there's something lacking? Also, I'm working on a list of things to do before he dumps into the military. I'm going to make several full sets of masterwork armor (leather, chain, plate) after the adamantine comes in, along with several masterwork of each weapon type. I'll reserve all of these for Morul, in the event he loses something.

I've also been considering having Morul make something of exceptional value to put in his room, which I've yet to create. I'm thinking an adamantine statue or mechanism, encrusted with everything within reach. I've been buying gems all along, and may have one of everything. I have every type of metal.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2009, 03:04:12 am »

5th Hematite, 228, Early Summer

Well, the days of tossing war dogs off a cliff are done. Morul is now a legendary animal caretaker...

LOL - so that's how it's done. Ah, the things they'll do for the love of animals.

Here's a list of every profession, inc many not available, or at least not in Fortress Mode:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2009, 03:14:32 am »

LOL - so that's how it's done. Ah, the things they'll do for the love of animals.

Ah, right. I was going to give a tip on that one.

It turns out that 4 stories is just about perfect for dog maiming. 4 stories has about a 60% chance of causing at least one non-fatal red wound, a 20% chance of killing the dog, and a 20% chance of causing at least one yellow wound, but no red ones. Morul currently has 7 war dogs assigned to him, and they've all healed, so animal care does work, but it took 7 to get him to legendary.

Thanks for the list. I'll mark it up tomorrow, but on first glance it looks like I got everything.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2009, 03:21:54 am »

Morul currently has 7 war dogs assigned to him, and they've all healed, so animal care does work, but it took 7 to get him to legendary.

Hmm, so I guess we were too impatient in declaring that animal care didn't work. Or the dogs healed of their own accord. Either way, good to know.

It looks like very soon you will have the most interesting dwarf in the world. We'll have to mark it in Legends mode or something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2009, 03:26:13 am »

Hmm, so I guess we were too impatient in declaring that animal care didn't work. Or the dogs healed of their own accord. Either way, good to know.

They healed pretty quick - the last one went from three red wounds and 2 yellow ones to no wound inside of two seasons, so I'm thinking it wasn't just them healing naturally.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2009, 03:28:58 am »

They healed pretty quick - the last one went from three red wounds and 2 yellow ones to no wound inside of two seasons, so I'm thinking it wasn't just them healing naturally.

Wow, that's about as fast as possible as healing can get, so I guess animal care does work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2009, 03:56:49 am »

As soon as he becomes legendary at everything, I'm expecting him to be all the colours of the rainbow...

Menacing with spikes of clouds of course
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2009, 07:35:13 am »

He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Why do all dwarves get this eventually?  What does it mean?

If the dwarf is manager, then he has to also go make the item to fill it, I think the fastest way to get two with one stone is to put into the jobs que

10X make 30 Giant (metal) Serated Disks.

For each metal you have a lot of.

Then set him loose as the only weaponsmith.

This will get your metalsmithing, and those 300 disks will melt back down to 150 bars.  It will also give him 3,000 points per metal type towards master manager.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2009, 10:35:59 am »

If the dwarf is manager, then he has to also go make the item to fill it, I think the fastest way to get two with one stone is to put into the jobs que

10X make 30 Giant (metal) Serated Disks.

For each metal you have a lot of.

Then set him loose as the only weaponsmith.

This will get your metalsmithing, and those 300 disks will melt back down to 150 bars.  It will also give him 3,000 points per metal type towards master manager.

Actually, for manager I had him queue up jobs that couldn't be completed. He queued up 1800 (60x30) extract strand jobs. That way he wouldn't leave the task, but the task is complete - manager does the organizer skill. He's still working on record keeper as so many of his recent activities weren't producing much so there wasn't much for him to count for the records. The fortress has been at highest accuracy for 10 years, even with Morul rarely sitting down to work on it. Walking back and forth is the most important thing to eliminate.

He's currently cranking out corkscrews. The workshop is on repeat, and all the non-masterwork ones get melted back down. Metalcrafting is about half done and he'll finish that next. Lots of chains that also get melted.

The metal I have the most of is steel. When I modded the orcs to make them slightly weaker, I upgraded their metal pref to steel to balance it out. My main goal was to have enough metal bars to get through this, and the orcs are the greatest metal resource in the game. I've been buying metal bars almost continuously as well. I currently have about 1800 steel bars and about 30 of every other metal type other than 100 or so bars of nickel thanks to a vein I hit. More than enough to finish the metal skills.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71