Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 253393 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »

I like this! :D

Strand extraction is going to be a bitch though..
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:42 pm »

27th Granite, 207, Early Spring

This trade with the elves brought Morul to legendary appraiser. Back to the grind. It's really remarkable how slow skilling is in the beginning, for some things like milling, you really need to have 20ish haulers supporting a high-skilled dwarf just to keep the workshops clear.

9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn

Another large orc siege has blessed us with a small mountain of bones. Morul is now a legendary bone carver. The next mountains of bones will go toward bowyer. In the meantime, we are drowning in a sea of oversized armor. Time to work on furnace operating a bit. Lots of skills now in the great range, just waiting on crops to grow, etc.

11th Granite, 208, Early Spring

Just enough armor in the last siege to make legendary furnace operator. Back to cloth/food prep.

Orcs wiping out human caravans sure does keep everyone busy. No liaisons lost, thankfully. I figure I need 2400 metal bars to get the metal skills up. With melting, 1800 or so. 495 bars now, and about 150 bars worth of armor yet to melt. I haven't started mining out veins, but another siege should allow for the first metal skill to get done, giving time to melt, a few more sieges, and hopefully ready for the next...

Progress so far:

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator

(And yes, strand extraction is going to be a royal bitch. Not only is it slow as hell, I doubt I have 600 adamantine on the map. I should have modded in raw adamantine as a trade item or something.)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 01:15:43 am »

27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter

Got the first set of bedrooms smoothed (only 8 years in!) and Morul now is a legendary engraver. Realized that animal taming will be fairly challenging to do as it can't be done quickly, so that'll be getting started soon. A breeding wing has been dug out and it's time to get it equipped. The plan will be to train up dogs, butcher all but one of the males and 5 of the females, bring the population back up, and repeat. 15 generations of dead dogs later, animal training, butchery, and tanning should all be done, and enough tallow to take care of soap making.

5th Granite, 209, Early Spring

With a flurry of masterwork beds, Morul attained legendary carpenter status. Also discovered that making a wooden animal trap puts skill toward trapping. Enough trapping is needed for the extraction skills that it's not a necessary way to skill up, but it's an option.

24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn

Fortress expansion demanded stone blocks, so Morul is now a legendary mason. Bins are becoming a major problem. Human caravans get wiped out by orcs every year, so I have to rely on elves and dwarves for all exports. Morul continues to be the sole food and craft provider and has produced about 1.4M in wealth. He has no problem keeping a fortress of 50 fed, even while advancing other skills, but he's created almost 10,000 bolts, which are now stockpiled by the entrance, 300 or so totems, about 300 bone crossbows so far, and as a carpenter he basically only made barrels and bins. There are 724 bars of metal taking up 73 bins,  and a hundred or so bins devoted to thread and cloth as he works up through weaver/dyer/clothesmaker. I had budgeted about 3,000 trees, about 600 of which are already used (carpenter) and another 1,000 cut down and ready, but unless I start dumping finished goods, I may need another 500 or so trees just for bins. Barrels are a bit less of a problem because they recycle reasonably well. Milled plants take less space than raw plants and I don't have prepared meals in barrels, though Morul is only making easy meals to speed things up. Still, 2500 booze sitting around and he's still only at Master Brewer. Only about 200 more barrels of booze to go. Only making sunshine at this point, because, well, why not?

13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter

Broke yet another orc siege and took the opportunity to build another level up on the fortress since it's partially exposed to the outside and compromises the defenses. Needed more bags for more milling and Morul is now a legendary weaver. Dyer should finish in the next push, and clothier after that. Getting very near the end of the first set of food production skills. That also puts an end to pigtail and dimple cup/blade weed farming for quite some time. Morul still has 600 leather bags ahead of him. Those will mainly go to sand collection.

14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter

Sure enough Morul has become a legendary dyer. Now to make enough bags to finish off clothier and to get through miller and thresher. This was a good year - 4 skills came in. Averaging one per year now, hopefully that will come up closer to two per year on average. Looks like there are approximately 70 skills, and while some to come will be fast, like most of the military ones, the social ones, siege operating, etc. Others will be hoplessly slow - strand extracting, plant gathering, milking, and the two dissection skills, and hunting.

12th Granite, 210, Early Spring

With approximately 300 empty bags ready for the next action, Morul is now a legendary clothesmaker. Still 600 leather bags to produce, however.

Started on the animal training/butcher/tanning and it's gonna be a pain in the ass. The biggest problem is that you have to move quick to effectively do the butcher/tanner cycle. If you mass butcher a bunch of animals, invariably Morul will go take a nap and eat dinner in the middle leaving the skins to rot. The training is a bit frustrating because every now and then an animal won't come to be trained and the task will just stall. I set up a bunch of 2x2 rooms with dually doors and a cage inside. There's a channel above the room so I can dump in my male and 5 females with the door locked and just wait until the population tops out.

Morul will start hunting soon and I've placed a butcher shop in the center of every embark tile so he doesn't have to run back to the fortress. Auto butcher will be turned off so they'll just rot out there, but that's better than having him run 100+ tiles from the edge of the map to the central fortress and back out every kill. For the animal butchering, I've had to forbid all of the other butcher shops which is a pain. I'm going to test putting walls around each one with a door on a lever, that way I can easy mass lock all the buildings for butchery and mass open them for hunting. I'm just afraid that the butchery task may still get assigned to the inaccessible workshop.

Current status:

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 01:22:58 am »

wow, sounds like its going good!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 01:24:42 am »

This is going to be epic.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 01:30:48 am »

Morul - renaissance dwarf and dwarf of all trades.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 03:59:24 am »

Pumilius universale.

(Pumilius apparently being dwarf in latin.)

Morul DaVinci!

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:13 am »

I can always thin the orc numbers with a marksdwarf. I'll probably have at least 3 champions before I even start on military - and most of the mil training will be done by sparring.
Orcs > Marksdwarf. "Lethal hits" are shrugged off with no fear, and they will quite literally. Fight. Until they die. No "Giving in to pain", they will fight until they are dead, or the marksdwarves are dead ( And if it's one it's a waste of a dwarf, trust me i tried just now. Epic fail. ) you got to remember, Once he is out of bolts. He will try to melee them, regardless of how suicidal it is. "Yeah, their swords are no match for my copper crossbow!". Marksdwarves should always be paired with melee, that's the results of my current fort. Twice i sent a marksdwarf ( Alone ) to fight an ambush. Twice the markswarf died horribly.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 09:59:22 am »

And thus lockable doors behind your archery station, so they can't charge emat all unless you decide legendarry hammer and masterwork steel crossbow are enough.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06:12 pm »

And thus lockable doors behind your archery station, so they can't charge emat all unless you decide legendarry hammer and masterwork steel crossbow are enough.

Actually, lockable doors in front of the archery station. I'm not trying to make the military part of this a challenge, I just want the bones, armor, and enough regular enemies to polish off some skills on.

I use a setup like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWW
 W         W
 W         W
AF  TTTTT  WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW 
 D  TTTTT
AF  TTTTT
 D  TTTTT
 W         W
 W         W
 WWWWWWWWWWW

A = Ammo quantum stockpile, Marksdwarf station
D = Door
T = Trade Depot
W = Wall

That passageway to the east is at least 50 tiles long - it extends over the top of the magma pipe and has a retractable bridge in the middle.

Once I lure orcs past the bridge, they start pathing to the doors. I can lock the doors and they'll walk right up and bump into them. They'll just mull around the depot getting shot at with no new place to path to. Once that group is wiped out, unlock the doors and the next set will path in.

I lose a lot of trade caravans that way, and sometimes need to lock in the liaison for a while, but with this setup I've had a single dwarf defend the fortress for two decades, and rack up around 1000 kills. With 3000 bolts at their feet, they drop Orcs like a machine gun nest. Truth be told, with all 3 stations manned with Champions, only a champion orc will make it to the door. The other benefit of the narrow hallway is the orcs get jammed up and by firing on the same z-level, almost every bolt will hit someone. There's a nice overlapping field of fire that crosses over right around the point where the dwarves start firing. It's brutally effective.

Once the siege breaks I usually have about 15 or so orcs still standing just out of range. I pull the drawbridge so they can't leave the area and send Morul in. Once they've stopped the siege commitment, the orcs generally avoid combat, so a well equipped and strong soldier should be able to take them.

Remember, before Morul can go into the military, he needs to have at least 50 legendary skills including armor, weapon, and strand extracting. He'll have unbeforeseen stats and he'll be walking in with masterwork adamantine weapons and armor. Since the orcs are slightly nerfed (closer to gobbos than the 0.3 orcs) I don't think it'll be a problem, and I'll have him avoid any ranged units.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 01:31:53 pm »

Still, make a backup. It just takes one lucky shot for you to lose the most skilled dwarf known to man.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 03:51:02 pm »

Actually, lockable doors in front of the archery station. I'm not trying to make the military part of this a challenge, I just want the bones, armor, and enough regular enemies to polish off some skills on.

I use a setup like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWW
 W         W
 W         W
 D  TTTTT
AF  TTTTT
 D  TTTTT
 W         W
 W         W
 WWWWWWWWWWW

D = Door
T = Trade Depot
W = Wall

That passageway to the east is at least 50 tiles long - it extends over the top of the magma pipe and has a retractable bridge in the middle.

Once I lure orcs past the bridge, they start pathing to the doors. I can lock the doors and they'll walk right up and bump into them. They'll just mull around the depot getting shot at with no new place to path to. Once that group is wiped out, unlock the doors and the next set will path in.

I lose a lot of trade caravans that way, and sometimes need to lock in the liaison for a while, but with this setup I've had a single dwarf defend the fortress for two decades, and rack up around 1000 kills. With 3000 bolts at their feet, they drop Orcs like a machine gun nest. Truth be told, with all 3 stations manned with Champions, only a champion orc will make it to the door. The other benefit of the narrow hallway is the orcs get jammed up and by firing on the same z-level, almost every bolt will hit someone. There's a nice overlapping field of fire that crosses over right around the point where the dwarves start firing. It's brutally effective.

Once the siege breaks I usually have about 15 or so orcs still standing just out of range. I pull the drawbridge so they can't leave the area and send Morul in. Once they've stopped the siege commitment, the orcs generally avoid combat, so a well equipped and strong soldier should be able to take them.

Remember, before Morul can go into the military, he needs to have at least 50 legendary skills including armor, weapon, and strand extracting. He'll have unbeforeseen stats and he'll be walking in with masterwork adamantine weapons and armor. Since the orcs are slightly nerfed (closer to gobbos than the 0.3 orcs) I don't think it'll be a problem, and I'll have him avoid any ranged units.
That's a good plan. Except eventually, so many caravans will be lost, the elves and humans will get pretty pissed. I reckon you should have a 3 tile wide corridor, with a drawbridge ( With a massive moat underneath. ) that opens in the direction of the Trade Depot ( Therefore stopping arrows and etc. Not perfect but it's safer ).

WWWWWWWWWWWW
 W                          W
 WWWWWWW          W
AF  TTTTT  WFWFWFWWWWWWWWWW
 D  TTTTT     DDDDDDD
AF  TTTTT    DDDDDDD
 D  TTTTT     DDDDDDD
AF  TTTTT  WFWFWFWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWW         W
W                         W
 WWWWWWWWWWW

D = Door
T = Trade Depot
W = Wall

The advantage of two bridges, is that you can seal off the area as the traders go down ( And eventually, the ambushers, if they're following them, may get trapped. Remember to have spaces of land in between the bridges with grates that open on pulling a lever, therefore dropping the potential invaders several z-levels. )

Your design is cool though. Also remember cage traps help tons in spotting ambushers. Allowing an effective "alarm" system you could say.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 04:41:43 pm »

Still, make a backup. It just takes one lucky shot for you to lose the most skilled dwarf known to man.

I have it set to save every season. No worries.

He just started hunting. It's brutal. He just knocked a groundhog an entire embark tile away. The scattered butcher shops will make this much more productive. It turns out that if the building is locked away, it won't get slaughter jobs, so I'm having the masons build walls around them all. I need to keep a close eye on his weapon skills and swap him out before he hits elite.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »

There are no ambushers on the map. I modded gobbos out. Way too much randomness when Morul is out hunting and plant gathering. Orcs are polite and send an invitation before they come to the fort.

As for the traders - I've never had a problem with them getting wiped out. Orcs only show up in Summer and Winter anyway, so the humans are the only ones suffering - and a few years back they and my marksdwarves managed to hold off an entire siege with no trader losses.

I could replace the retracting bridge with a drawbridge - and your design is one I've used on other maps. The other nice thing about orcs is they almost never send ranged units. I've only seen one so far.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 06:09:43 pm »

Oh, and the solution the trade caravan getting killed problem is to have two instances of that design. Provide access to one of the two for the traders, then lock them in and provide access to the other and engage the invaders at the other one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71