Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255147 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #1035 on: March 09, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

EVERY time I see the title of this thread I think of a Dwarf in a robe surrounded by Dwarf ladies and he says "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Longland."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 10, 2010, 04:38:24 am »

EVERY time I see the title of this thread I think of a Dwarf in a robe surrounded by Dwarf ladies and he says "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Longland."

First dwarven commercial?

Longland - Beer for you!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 10, 2010, 01:39:59 pm »

Oh god, I'm glad I'm not the only one
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 10, 2010, 03:50:22 pm »

Try to make some sense?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 10, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

Try to make some sense?

The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World title is a take-off (presumably) of The Most Interesting Man in the World commercials, where the titular man, described in ways such as 'He lives vicariously- through himself," and "He once had an awkward moment- just to see what it felt like," ends the commercial surrounded by women saying, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Eques," Dos Eques being the brand name of the beer being advertised.

"Stay Dwarfy, my friends."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 10, 2010, 04:39:20 pm »

ah. Thank you.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »

So when's the most interesting dwarf in DF2010 coming around?  :P
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:46 am »

Morul IS The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World.

It means, there won't be the... mostest dwarf than him :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 12, 2010, 10:25:27 am »

I'm thinking the new version's dwarves saw the commercial and took the "stay thirsty" bit a little too seriously.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 14, 2010, 10:40:31 pm »

I'm thinking the new version's dwarves saw the commercial and took the "stay thirsty" bit a little too seriously.

Not gonna lie, I laughed my ass over that.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:06 am »

I don't want the huge amount of work Martin's done to be devalued.
I get that it takes a long time, but really now. It's not like he built a house with his bare hands. The dwarf does most of the work.

It's a fair point, but there's more work involved here than people might realize. The trapping and trapping related skills were brutal. Every trap triggers at least one pause/recenter and usually 2-3 due to stolen bait, and each needs to be set up by hand each time. Trapping was probably 8 hours of continuous effort, and then to get enough vermin for fish dissector and animal dissector required about that much additional trapping by other dwarves to collect enough vermin. It was 1500 or so pause/recenters total, just for those 3 skills. Milking was hard too because it needs to be micromanaged else the dwarves come in and eat the maggots (which I had extincted, so I needed to preserve every one).

The military skills were also very time intensive because Morul had to maximize his time fighting without putting the fortress at risk. Sparring just doesn't cut it that far into the skills.

So, of the 71 skills, I'd say 60 were easy and not terribly time intensive, other than just keeping the fortress running. The other 11 were a pain in the ass.
[/quote]

A VERY useful thing to do when your involved with any near-constant pause/recenter is to go into the data/init/announcements.txt and change the settings on the event so that it doesn't pause and recenter.[Did it for warm/damp rock so i could have a room cleared of non-__ then come back and peel it off a layer at a time instead of 1-2 tiles at a time]

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:25 am »

Do i smell very powerful thread necromancy?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:07 am »

Not that powerful, I'd call it a proficient reanimation.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Kentti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 31, 2011, 11:45:49 am »

Seems like someone's excited about the next update and started practicing his/her necromancy.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »

A VERY useful thing to do when your involved with any near-constant pause/recenter is to go into the data/init/announcements.txt and change the settings on the event so that it doesn't pause and recenter.[Did it for warm/damp rock so i could have a room cleared of non-__ then come back and peel it off a layer at a time instead of 1-2 tiles at a time]
Morul was made in 40d, and there were no such settings to alter, so Martin truly did have to do it by hand. He had no choice.

Anyway, threads like this are linked in various famous-occurrence archives and lists, but that doesn't mean you should post in them. This one had well over a year between the last post prior to yours and yours. Let such things lie; if you must discuss something about them, a new thread for the purpose, or a post in whatever thread you found a link to this one for, is probably more appropriate.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71