Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatches, flooding and water pressure  (Read 449 times)

lifenoodles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hatches, flooding and water pressure
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:53 am »

Hi there, long time lurker first time poster. I've been playing DF on and off for a while now and have a pretty good grasp of the basics. I thought I had a good handle on water pressure (despite accidentally flooding my last fortress twice in a row by channeling my moat into a hallway and then into my dining room and living quarters, draining it all back out and then immediately collapsing a section of floor through the other side of the moat and into my stockpiles) but this has me stumped. I'm try to build a drowning chamber in my newest fort, but the water is definitely not behaving as I think it should be.

Pics:

Z-level 0:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Z-level -1:

Z-level -2:

As you can see it's a pretty standard setup: water falls through a hole in -1 to -2, and fills up room. Hatches are opened at -1 and water fills up that room as well, drowning everything in it, then the hatch at the top is opened and the pump empties the drowning chamber back into the river. The water comes in directly above the miasma at Z -2 (it was dug out when the river froze over for the winter, my miner managed to be standing on it when it unfroze and drowned. Those are his pants in the second shot and the miasma is his rotting corpse clogging the pipes). The problem is that the water won't fill up the room on Z -1. I initially thought it may be a thing with hatch covers but after removing one of them (upper right one in screenshot) nothing changed.

Any idea if this a bug or just something really obvious that I'm just not seeing?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Hatches, flooding and water pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:09 am »

Awfully hard to say what is going on here, but building a screwpump at -1 is a quicksolve to clearing -2. I don't play with water enough to see where the problem is.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:15:22 am »

I'm not completely certain, but I think that water that flows through a U-bend (down and then up) will only rise to one level below the original water source.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:30 am »

I'm not completely certain, but I think that water that flows through a U-bend (down and then up) will only rise to one level below the original water source.

This (unless it's pumped through a u-bend, then it goes all the way up).  You'll either need to use a pump to get the water up to Z-1, or dig a horizontal tunnel to the water and control flow with a floodgate.  Or you could start over with the same design but put it one level lower down (pumping the water out becomes slightly more tricky in that case).

lifenoodles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Guess it is the falling then rising thing. I ended up channeling into the left wall on -1 and installing a floodgate and wall grate. Think I might hollow out the bottom layer more and use it as a towercap farm.