Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tundra Advice  (Read 797 times)

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tundra Advice
« on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:34 am »

Lately my favourite activity in DF has been generating and exploring worlds on the "Choose Fortress Location" screen with all features revealed.

During my travels I came across a number of magma+flux+tree locations with freezing temperatures.  And so I wondered -  what kind of advice is there to give to dwarfs planning to mine out a mountainhome in tundras?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Tundra Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:51:15 am »

Don't go into it without the knowledge of how to un-freeze your brook/river.
Oh and, don't forget to bring picks.
... srsly, in my most recent fortress I forgot to bring picks, so my dwarves survived under a towercap roof for 2 seasons while I waited for the caravan.
Luckily I brought enough food for the year.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:14:55 am »

in very cold temps, you should just get underground and stay there. Build your depot underground and basically don't let your dwarves surface if you can avoid it.

Also, I would recommend embarking somewhere with soil or sand layers. Unfreezing enough water to create a farming/booze industry can take a while.

[deleted]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:06:05 am »

I play on one like you describe. You can see my fortress at http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5680. The only real advice I have to give you is to not let your dwarves linger around outside for too long, because in freezing temperatures, I believe it's actually possible for them to die of hypothermia (confirm?). Going outside for a month or two at a time is fine. Unless you have an underground source of water, be prepared with the knowledge (as mentioned) of melting ice with magma if you have no soil layer. Overall, a bit challenging and different, but definitely fun with constant snow storms and summer rains.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:26:38 am by [deleted] »
The spinning Sea Lamprey dorsal fin strikes The Sea Lamprey in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
The Sea Lamprey is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Sea Lamprey has been struck down.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5703-frostdrummed