Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mega Project? Tricky one. . . Need suitable location.  (Read 1681 times)

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mega Project? Tricky one. . . Need suitable location.
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:16:29 pm »

I have two primary goals: First, becoming the Moses of Dwarvenkind, and parting the seas. Second, I want to build a fanciful creature breeding ground, underwater preferably, so I can include mermaid/men.
But, before I'm even going to start this, I need to find a suitable location, which is going to be several accounts of tricky.
First, I'm looking for a good ocean, with land on two opposite sides. Second, this parting of the seas task is supposed to be excessively large in what I intend to do, namely upwards of 10 z-levels of ocean to part--this needs to be naturally occurring if it is possible, because the edge-most squares can't be mined out, and I want to literally cut the ocean a decent size down. Thirdly, although optional, Magma preferable, as my intentions are: Massive glass industry, so I can cut the ocean using green or clear glass. Finally, though not necessary, a bottomless pit or Chasm would be a wonder too, but is likely too difficult to find surrounding an ocean, or at least with sane reasonable time to world gen. . .

So, the question I have for other dwarves out there:
Who will help me set world gen specifics, and am I out of my mind?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Project? Tricky one. . . Need suitable location.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:40:34 am »

Son bitch, that one hell of a requirement.

Good luck.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:44:11 am »

I'm currently trying to imagine a way to cut the ocean in half with green glass...
You'd have to cast an obsidian shell first... but getting rid of the outside obsidian... ohhh.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:36:05 am »

And here i was hoping you were going to do with tons of pumps...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:38:20 am »

I'm doing it Moses style. Water gets pushed AWAY from a center line.
So, PUMPS, then glass walls.

So:
<PW_WP>
<PW_WP>
<PW_WP>
<PW_WP>
etc.
< vs > shows where water goes out. Walls get placed in after water is pumped from that level.
Might instead make inside 3 wide gap, so that I can force wagons to go through there or something.
FOR KICKS AND GIGGLES.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:05 am »

Why bother with the walls? Just rely on a colossal array of pumps, windmills, and water wheels to keep the seas parted.
If you get sieged? Turn them off. SLOSH.

You can even dig under and put in hatches so that you can survive the sea crashing down on your head.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:52 am »

Why bother with the walls? Just rely on a colossal array of pumps, windmills, and water wheels to keep the seas parted.

You can even dig under and put in hatches so that you can survive the sea crashing down on your head.

This is the best idea.  More authentic and more fun.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:14 am »

I remember reading about someone who built (in DF) square platform with pump array that was pumping water from ocean back to ocean creating something simillar to whirlpool that touched ocean ground and allowed direct acess to ground.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:32:53 pm »

Walls or floodgates actually; I want to be able to have a few specific points where the two sides meet, so I can force wildlife (read mermaids swimming dwarfbucks) to travel through; at least, until I can get a viable method for FARMING THEM.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 07:21:55 pm »

Since oceans usually have aquifers underneath them, you could dig under the ocean, channel out a path, then cover the channels with hatch covers linked to a lever. That way, on demand, you could have a nice seabed path to your fortress that you can then turn off whenever you pleased.

And it would look a lot less mechanical and artificial than a ton of windmill arrays.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:03 pm »

That, would require several things: One, reaching the floor to PUT THEM IN -- Hence the pump-walls.
Two, water would have to drain into aquifier faster than it flows in from both sides of the channel -- I don't know how pressurized the sea is, but it might flow IN faster than out, without a MASSIVE quantity of hatch covers.
Plus, I think it doesn't meet the MOSES requirement quite as well; namely, pushing the water away from the water channel.
If I make a channel 3 wide, with pumps all the way from top to bottom, I'm only looking at something in the range of 10 power times 10 depth times the width of the channel, which is probably around 20+ times 2.
So, minimum of 200 power PER square on the drained area (Not counting width)
Its a bloody megaproject because it'll take YEARS to build even ONE of these channel squares, and power it -- it isn't dwarfy enough otherwise.
Oh, and for reference, I AM playing with the orc mod
And from what I've seen thus far, I've been unable to locate ANY ocean which is next to or surrounded by mountains -- Which really annoys me, cause my best//only hope of finding the kind of map I'd like for this project. Additionally, I can't get mermaids in the freshwater which is there, and saltwater is part of the challenge. D:
I have succeeded -- after MUCH tweaking with the gen parameters, I have: serene territory (tisk, oh well), all races, some 52 levels of HUGE sheer face cliffs on one side, and -16 levels of potential ocean. Thus proving I can produce the map I need. Now to produce a BETTER one. (doesn't have magma or such.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:34:07 pm by Tael »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »

Apparently there's a bug where oceanic creatures don't always spawn, so you may have trouble getting those merpeople.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »

I'm more worried about getting Magma, supercliffs, sand, and a deep enough ocean area. . . Thus far?
Best I've found is sandless, magmaless, ocean with cliffs. Not deep ocean though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:06:12 pm »

I believe you're looking for a map like this?

LWWWWWLL
LLWWWWLL
LLWWWWLL
LLWWWWLL
LWWWWWLL

where L= land and W= water

If so, PM varnish. He has a map like that and he has a community game on it. (greatbridge of oceans)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »

I remember reading about someone who built (in DF) square platform with pump array that was pumping water from ocean back to ocean creating something similar to whirlpool that touched ocean ground and allowed direct access to ground.
I had a similar idea sometime ago as a method of entering/exiting the fort.

Inside there lies a lever that turns on the coastal pumps, a small building resided under the water area that drains and there are towers that continually pump upwards to give the water extra time to fall and then waterfall downward. There was supposed to be like 5 of them working in unison using upwards to 8 pumps apiece at least from the sea-level floor. And there also lied a small mass of windmills and/or waterwheels on the sides and tops of the towers as well to power each one individually.

Oh, and these things need to be tall enough to displace enough water, and render it as harmless as possible in the flooding department as it drains and maintains. Just think of massive kitchen sinks. Partial aqueducts would be used as well to further displace the water and prevent the water from backing up. Lots of Z-axis and a ton of materials required, but it should look freaking cool when finished and operational.

It's essentially supposed to be a prettier way to have a submersible/subterranean entryway for a fortress, invader/seige-proof. Just be sure not to have the floodgates open before activating the device.

I believe I made a sort of concept sketch somewhere. I need a moment to find it, but I think it would explain what I mean better than I can illustrate in ASCII characters.

Here's a 1-Z 2D sample of my idea (using 3 towers): With walkable beach path created by towers.

WWWWWW
WWW~WWW
WWW%WWW
~O**%**O~
~~%%~%%~~
~~%%~%%~~ <--- Main drain tower (Usually tallest and widest to provide most waterfall time and collection.
~~O%%%O~~                         Seeing as it's the deepest in the water, it lightens
~%%%~                         the load for the pathfinder towers. Adjust accordingly.)
~~~                                               |
~~O===O~~                                               |
~~~~~~~~|▼▼▼|~~~~~~~~ <--- Entryway with closed floodgates          |
~~%%%~~~OXXXO~~~%%%~~                                               |
WO%%%O~~:...:~~O%%%OW                                               |
W-*~%%~~:...:~~%%~*-W <--- Water pump towers ( -1z sea level)  <---/
W *~%%~~:...:~~%%~* W                                                           ____________
~O%%%O~~:...:~~O%%%O~                                                           |   ~~~~~~~~
~~%%%~~~:...:~~~%%%~~                                                           |~%% |     ~~
~~~~~~~~:...:~~~~~~~~                        Tower build idea w/ pressure  ---> | %%~|    ~~~~~
          ^  \--Suction waves formed         2x intake to add to out power       ~%% |     ~ ~  ~ ~
          |                                    as well as drain faster.        %% %%~|   ~ ~   ~  ~
           \--------Moses' Walkway at least -1z below sea level             ~~~~~~%% *WWW

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It took some time, but I finally found the picture, and I colored it in to clarify how it would look. It was a concept sketch, so quality is not an issue. And yes, those are waterwheels and stacked windmills in the background.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:55:43 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2