Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Alternative Damming Method! (Waterfall required)  (Read 1453 times)

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Alternative Damming Method! (Waterfall required)
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:42:27 pm »

Alright, I successfully dammed my river a while ago, as shown here.
Note: You NEED a waterfall, either a natural one, or an artificial one caused by collapsing.
Here it is, note the width doesn't matter.
+ is constructed floor X is floodgate R is river _ is open space
First step:
Code: [Select]
RRR_+
RRR_+
RRR_+
Construct a row of floors with an open space between the floors and the river.
Second step:
RRR_X
RRR_X
RRR_X
Construct floodgates on top of the floors.
Third step:
RRR+X
RRR_X
RRR+X
Construct floors, leaving one spot open, your dwarves won't construct it, because of the water.
Now, you have to build a pump pumping water out of that spot there, so your dwarves will build the floor.
Then all you do is construct the final floor, and the river is dammed!
Please note that this does work, but you may have to tweak the design a bit, don't blame me if you have fun, and remember, water doesn't go over floodgates.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Alternative Damming Method! (Waterfall required)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

Instead of building a line of floors after you build the floodgates, why don't you build a bridge first, retract it, then build the floors under the floodgates, build the floodgates, then, finally, put the bridge back.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »

This here is quality.  Real quality.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:17:06 pm »

Instead of building a line of floors after you build the floodgates, why don't you build a bridge first, retract it, then build the floors under the floodgates, build the floodgates, then, finally, put the bridge back.
That might work, but floors built from bridges that aren't connected to a wall just fall down, so it would require a bit of micromanagement. Besides, this is Dwarf Fortress, things are SUPPOSED to be overcomplicated and liable to not work, kill your dwarves, and/or kill elves. (There is more fun when all three happen)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:27:01 pm »

The bridge method really is simplest. Just build the floors  before adding the bridge, and the dwarfs will do it sans micromanagement.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:58:14 pm »

Meh.
I wish I thought of that when I built it...

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

could somebody spend a minute dumbing this down?

you build 2 tiles over from the waterfall, in the air above the river, floor, then again above the river, to the right, floodgates, and then more on the floor you just made, but it somehow blocks a river one z level down?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:40:58 pm »

I'm not quite sure I understand the idea, need to re-read it, but I was just looking for a way to seal off the chasm at the end of my underground river to divert the flow. I was hoping to do it without having to use pumps and dig elaborate power sourcing, though.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:06 am »

What you want to do is actually incredibly easy.  Undoing it is the hard part.

First, dig out enough space so that you can build a bridge to cover the chasm completely.  The bridge should be oriented so that the only part that is actually accessible is right next to a door.  I'll try to make some pictures in DF later.  Then just build a bridge over the hole and build your diversion.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.