Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watchtowers?  (Read 1018 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Watchtowers?
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

If you've got towers on your fort, is it correct that the only practical advantage they confer is giving your marksdorfs higher elevation/protection from which to shoot? (Or a place to pour water/magma from..) It would be neat if you actually could built a tower and station a military sentry in it, with maybe a chance of seeing enemy ambushers/sieges before they strike.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtowers?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »

Um... as I under your question, the answer is... yes.

(The rest should go in the "suggestions" sub-forum, if you want to give it a good chance to be seen by those who can do anything about it.)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:48 pm »

Yeah, that's basically all they're good for. If you spot an ambush or a siege early, it gives you a chance to pick them off before they arrive at your gates.

In the development log, Toady was talking about a change to the way line of sight works, so we might actually have to have sentries keeping watch in the next version.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:15 pm »

Yeah, that's basically all they're good for. If you spot an ambush or a siege early, it gives you a chance to pick them off before they arrive at your gates.

In the development log, Toady was talking about a change to the way line of sight works, so we might actually have to have sentries keeping watch in the next version.
Heh.
"A Vile Force Of Darkness Has Arrived!"
*enter*
'Why did it just zoom to my front gat- OH F-'

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »

If you get a half-dozen marksdwarfs trained up to very high levels and then split them into squads of one or two, you can assign them to either (S)tation in a single tower and tie a kitten or other sacrificial critter up outside the tower.  That way the ambushers will (likely) go after the tethered animal and reveal themselves while standing in the Kill Box.

I'd pick a spot 30+ tiles from your front gate, on the main road or approach path, and flank the road with a pair of towers.  Make them both accessible only from underground tunnels.  Place a barracks, a prepared food stockpile, and a booze stockpile directly under the towers; put ammo crates next to the fortifications.  Then tether a kitten near the road and split your marksdwarfs 50/50 between the towers.  PEW PEW PEW!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:55:24 pm »

Heh.
"A Vile Force Of Darkness Has Arrived!"
*enter*
'Why did it just zoom to my booze stock- OH F-'

Enhanced!

I hear dogs, have the ability to spot ambushers from a second space away, and this ability is not blocked by windows, so it may be feasible to spot goblins admiring the puppy in the window without actually entering your fort.

Though usually I'm fine with having my woodsdwerf spot them, so he's close enough to pwn them without a second thought.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 04:56:27 pm »

If you get a half-dozen marksdwarfs trained up to very high levels and then split them into squads of one or two, you can assign them to either (S)tation in a single tower and tie a kitten or other sacrificial critter up outside the tower.  That way the ambushers will (likely) go after the tethered animal and reveal themselves while standing in the Kill Box.

I'd pick a spot 30+ tiles from your front gate, on the main road or approach path, and flank the road with a pair of towers.  Make them both accessible only from underground tunnels.  Place a barracks, a prepared food stockpile, and a booze stockpile directly under the towers; put ammo crates next to the fortifications.  Then tether a kitten near the road and split your marksdwarfs 50/50 between the towers.  PEW PEW PEW!

That's been a stategy (minus the kitty sacrifice) that I have been planning for a long time, but never implemented. I suppose a few war dogs wouldn't be such a bad thing instead of the kitties, so they can at least do some damage first...  :P
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Jakkarra

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:19 am »

do not underestemate the power of kittens young padawan. the dragon did, and he is no longer with us...

(well, he is, but i dont think beeing a brooch is the same...)

love, jakkarra