Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Booze, seeds, etc  (Read 1070 times)

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze, seeds, etc
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:30 am »

They used to be the same size at birth as adults - a size 7 animal is a size 7 animal, whether mature or newborn.  Is that no longer the case? (I'll admit I often don't notice things like that.)

The yield in bones, meat, and fat is smaller for the young animals. I will specialize in a certain livestock species, and butcher everything else as soon as they grow up. I have butchered kittens and cats separately, as soon as their owners starved to death, and kittens yield less than cats, though it is all cat meat. Horse foals also yield less than fully grown horses. Same with all of the other livestock types.

For food supply, if you have gatherable plants, I suggest training your farmers as plant gatherers, too. My current fortress got off the ground with no farms, etc. Just plant gathering, brewing the result, and baking biscuits out of the seeds. Then I started importing exotic meats, fishes, and cheeses for a variety, and mountainhome brewed liquor. I will eventually set up a farm, but there is no rush to it now.

And get a trapper dwarf to catch vermin, but don't train them. Your little fellas will eat rats and roaches, too.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »

Yhup, children are half the size of the adults.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:34 pm »

Not that it matters with the bigger guys.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2]