Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Tantrum spiral!  (Read 973 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first Tantrum spiral!
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:49 pm »

I just got my first tantrum spiral. Went from 116 dorf to 88, and I still got a lot of unhappy peeps willing to tantrum. But now I'm wondering. What should I do? Sit out and start again with the survivors? Quickly divert my water flow (no magma) to my fortress and then reclaim and try again?

Also. I checked my Starting woodcutter: He has 50+ friends, so there are prolly 5-10 dead ones now, AND HE'S FUCKING ECSTATIC!!

His thoughts:
'Wolfslicer' (killed my very first werewolf) Borushlikot has been ecstatic lately. He slept wothout a proper room recently. He has lost a friend due to tragedy recently. He was forced to endure the decay of a friend. He talked with a friend lately. He made a satisfying aquisition lately. He made a friend recently. He admired a fine trade depot recently (WTF?). He dined in a legendary dining room recently. He has been anoyed by flies. He has been satisfied at work lately. He was overjoyed to be able to help someone to bed recently (WTH?). He has wittenesed death. He was disgusted by a miasma lately.

So, he likes helping ppl to bed, he likes trade depots, and he likes my dining room. That all negates the effect of 30 or so dorfs dying around him... Man, I wish all my dorfs were like this.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: My first Tantrum spiral!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

Mine get an extra one from all the minced beer they eat.  Plus some of mine admire the "masterpiece" stonefall traps I have everywhere.  And they like my dining room, which is full of gear assemblies.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »

I just got my first tantrum spiral. Went from 116 dorf to 88, and I still got a lot of unhappy peeps willing to tantrum. But now I'm wondering. What should I do? Sit out and start again with the survivors? Quickly divert my water flow (no magma) to my fortress and then reclaim and try again?

You've lost less than 2/3rds of your dwarves, you'll be fine. As long as you can properly bury all the bodies and deal with the miasma, of course. With 88 survivors, you should have no problem rebuilding stuff.

Also. I checked my Starting woodcutter: He has 50+ friends, so there are prolly 5-10 dead ones now, AND HE'S FUCKING ECSTATIC!!

His thoughts:
'Wolfslicer' (killed my very first werewolf) Borushlikot has been ecstatic lately. He slept wothout a proper room recently. He has lost a friend due to tragedy recently. He was forced to endure the decay of a friend. He talked with a friend lately. He made a satisfying aquisition lately. He made a friend recently. He admired a fine trade depot recently (WTF?). He dined in a legendary dining room recently. He has been anoyed by flies. He has been satisfied at work lately. He was overjoyed to be able to help someone to bed recently (WTH?). He has wittenesed death. He was disgusted by a miasma lately.

So, he likes helping ppl to bed, he likes trade depots, and he likes my dining room. That all negates the effect of 30 or so dorfs dying around him... Man, I wish all my dorfs were like this.

The trade depot means that the value of the trade depot is high, so he got a happy thought from looking at it. Same thing as statues, traps, and so on.

Helping someone to bed means that he brought an injured dwarf to bed and has the "enjoys helping others" trait, so he feels good about helping someone else out. Dwarves who hate helping other people get negative thoughts for gathering the wounded and bringing them food/water. 

Does he have "doesn't care about anything anymore", "is a hardened individual", or "is getting used to tragedy"? Those three reduce the effects of dead dwarves on happiness. Similarly, having a mayor who is a good consoler will help people to move on after all of their friends die.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:27:24 am »

You've lost less than 2/3rds of your dwarves, you'll be fine. As long as you can properly bury all the bodies and deal with the miasma, of course. With 88 survivors, you should have no problem rebuilding stuff.

His thoughts:

The trade depot means that the value of the trade depot is high, so he got a happy thought from looking at it. Same thing as statues, traps, and so on.

Helping someone to bed means that he brought an injured dwarf to bed and has the "enjoys helping others" trait, so he feels good about helping someone else out. Dwarves who hate helping other people get negative thoughts for gathering the wounded and bringing them food/water. 

Does he have "doesn't care about anything anymore", "is a hardened individual", or "is getting used to tragedy"? Those three reduce the effects of dead dwarves on happiness. Similarly, having a mayor who is a good consoler will help people to move on after all of their friends die.

I did notice my tantruming dorfs seem to conduct meeting with my mayor.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"