Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overtaxed Brook  (Read 441 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overtaxed Brook
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:58 am »

Will a brook that has been drained ever recover?
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Overtaxed Brook
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:46:05 am »

If you've managed to dry out the river source tiles, you'll have to get them wet again. If you've got water elsewhere, pump it back over there. Otherwise pray for rain.

For the record, I can't imagine how one could dry out the river source without hacking or magma (which would turn the tiles to obsidian and render them irrecoverable).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:41 am »

Heh. I tapped it in three places, one for water, and two for my obsidian farm. I channeled water away from it so the southernmost part of the brook dried up.

edit: Oh look at that. It did recover by itself. Just had to remove the waterwheels.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:53:41 pm »

Water comes in one one side and exits at the other. If you divert enough water elsewhere there obviously won't be enough to reach the exit side.

If you were to drop some magma on the end that stayed wet (right up on the edge tiles) so those turned to obsidian there would be no new water coming in and it would end up all dried out. You  can usually visually tell which way the water is moving by watching the lighter tiles move down the brook but in init there's an option to display water as number so you can see how high the water in a square is, and in that case the side the water leaves from has a lot of low numbers as the water is basically falling off the edge of the map.

Now, in cold enough maps water can freeze in which case you could mine out a section in the middle and then instal floodgates and such so you could control your brook perhaps closing the downstream so that water would go through any waterworks you can constructed faster- once the water had thawed of course.

Though obviously you couldn't easily get water to flow through them during the winter (unless maybe if we can thaw out those edge tiles with magma below them.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:55:42 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.