Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Most hated: Elves or Nobles?  (Read 3237 times)

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
Most hated: Elves or Nobles?
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:08:40 pm »

Alright, so, now much less of a game-workings related question.

So, I see around here, most people seem to loathe the elves. On my current fortress, elves seem to not be a problem at all... No trees to have to worry about (They still seem to try to get me to 'agree' to not cut any down. I just smile and nod my head to the long-eared morons who can't seem to notice these facts.) Besides that and the fact they rarely bring me enough goods to make it worth trading with them, I can't see why anyone would hate them more than nobles.

My nobles on the other hand are constantly porking, which isn't bad considering I only have the Duke and Consort to worry about... but I swear about ten of the sixty children here are hers. (Another ten or so belong to the local dwarf prostitute mayor.) They always demand specific instruments, and rose gold crap, which I need to buy bars of off the caravans. And I could stand that.... if they didn't take it all and leave it covering every single square of their large noble homes. I'm glad I took all the time to decorate and engrave their homes, when they've flung earrings and high boots and idols all over the place. I swear it looks like my stockpiles have exploded in my living quarters level...

And no, I don't want to give them the magma treatment, because I know with my luck I'll end up getting more, with more stupid demands in their place.

So which do you hate more on your current projects?

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Most hated: Elves or Nobles?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:36:01 pm »

Elves.

Nobles I can stand. They actually add a bit of *ahem* fun to this game *don't shoot me*.

Elves kill my dwarves, and probably eat them too. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces when they drove their cart into a highwood log trade depot.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:27 pm »

I'll take the Elves over the nobles. It's more fun torturing them, by clearcutting the forests, mounds of dead rotting bodies near the depot in order to generate miasma, and locking them in and driving them insane.

However, they are also somewhat useful. They bring wood and exotic animals. The animals themselves almost make up for their otherwise annoying worthlessness. I also like the wooden weapons they bring as a historic way of sparring. In the real world, novices were given wooden versions of the swords or other weapons they trained with, commonly referred to as wasters. As dwarves don't make wooden weapons for sparring, and I don't know enough to mod it in (and wouldn't with an impending release anyway), Elves are it.

Nobles... do nothing. They don't provide some minimal amounts of useful trade goods. They do no labor. The make no products. They only make mandates and babies.  They're not even as satisfying to torture. I rate them lower than used car salesmen.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:24 pm »

Nobody tantrums when you kill elves, so nobles.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:35:31 pm »

Dungeon masters are my favorite.  They don't make too much of a mess, and I don't have my smithing operations up enough to be interrupted.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:53:20 pm »

Dungeon masters are among the ranks of noble.  So, elves are worse.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:00:52 pm »

it depends on the mandate.

elves declare war < nobles with imposible mandates < elven merchants < nobility < elves with awesome animals and sunshine/sunberries < philosopher(because hes awesome).

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:59 am »

Name: Lemon

Favorite past time: Gathering all my nobles in a single room then releasing a dragon in the same room.

I hate those damn poofy pants, red spinel hating nobles.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:33:47 am »

Eleven nobles (diplomats) are the worst kind. And the only kind which will get you a war with the elves!

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:51:38 am »

I hate the elves because they could bring me a breeding pait of grizzly bears, or giant tigers, but hell no, they bring me mules that I could order from the mountainhomes. Bastards!

What about the elves who have been absorbed into dwarven society, and turn up as a trade negotiator? Would love to see elf nobles immigrating to my fort, for the lulz.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:53:03 am »

Elves because theyre taller than dwarves
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:04:12 am »

I've never had any trouble with elves, actually. They are insulting and complain when I cut trees, but no fortress has yet been significantly inconvenienced by their antics. And the nobles are annoying sometimes, but they give some objectives to the game once you have gotten past the "fight for survival" phase of gameplay. So I guess I don't really hate either of them.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO! >:(

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:09:38 am »

Nobles, because I could potentially turn those exotic animals back on the elves. Other than certain nobles (basically, the dungeon master) nobles don't really do anything useful.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:13 am »

I've never had any trouble with elves, actually. They are insulting and complain when I cut trees, but no fortress has yet been significantly inconvenienced by their antics. And the nobles are annoying sometimes, but they give some objectives to the game once you have gotten past the "fight for survival" phase of gameplay. So I guess I don't really hate either of them.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO! >:(

HEATEN how can you trust the elves or even Not hate them, you are no real dwarf!
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 11:42:35 am »

Elves. Even though nobles are much more of a threat to dwarf kind then a elven siege, they're still dwarves.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4