Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 2016 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I do?
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:18 pm »

Here's the entrance to my fort.  It's along a brook, which carved a canyon out of the mountain it's in, so there are only two ways in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each way is guarded by 5 GCS's (I modded them so they can breed), and both ways into the fort are currently walled off, because I am without a real military, and am under seige for the 2nd time by the orcs.  The first time, the GCS's and one marksdwarf were enough to take them out.

So far one squad of orcs is dead, one GCS is dead, the Human caravan is safely at my fort.  The diplomat is dead though... is that a bad thing?

How should I handle this?  And sadly I have no immediate access to magma in any way that would help.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:03:53 pm »

easy answer- build a new entrance!

dwarven answer- traps. lots of traps! especialy cage traps. then, get a couple puppies or kittens tied up with ropes as 'bait' behind the traps. then get everyone inside, and send one poor fool out to unmake some walls. remember, turn autocollect webs OFF! also, make sure to set forbid-on-death for your dwarves.

now, be sure to have a few locked doors/hatch covers with extra traps near em. just in case. let the spiders hit the traps, and then enjoy setting up a silk farm!

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:37 pm »

Orcs are immune to traps, I believe.  Except maybe weapon traps...

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:16 pm »

If by orcs, you mean goblins, then they aren't immune to traps. Kobold thieves are mostly immune, and goblin snatchers are somewhat immune.

The traps works (although replace the catching of GCS to the catching of goblins - I'm assuming the spiders are tame).

If you make weapon traps ('specially bow/crossbow/blowgun filled ones, since they don't get jammed), you could attached your gates to a lever and open the gates to draw goblins in but close them to make them run elsewhere - directly over your weapon traps - time and time again (until they die or retreat). For now, you could carve fortifications in the walls, deconstruct one (so that the goblins will try to path through it), build a door there really quickly, and lock and unlock it so they do the same as above (but its less dwarven).

EDIT: Oh, didn't realize that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:23:58 pm by malachi »

Jakkarra

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

use the REAL dwarven method.

Liberal application of Magma to the orc-infected area, results GUARANTEED!

Love, jakkarra

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:10 pm »

If by orcs, you mean goblins, then they aren't immune to traps. Kobold thieves are mostly immune, and goblin snatchers are somewhat immune.

The traps works (although replace the catching of GCS to the catching of goblins - I'm assuming the spiders are tame).

If you make weapon traps ('specially bow/crossbow/blowgun filled ones, since they don't get jammed), you could attached your gates to a lever and open the gates to draw goblins in but close them to make them run elsewhere - directly over your weapon traps - time and time again (until they die or retreat). For now, you could carve fortifications in the walls, deconstruct one (so that the goblins will try to path through it), build a door there really quickly, and lock and unlock it so they do the same as above (but its less dwarven).

They're not goblins, they are Orcs, I'm playing with the Orc mod.  Picture goblins but much more difficult to kill in combat.

I shall start building weapon traps.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »

use the REAL dwarven method.

Liberal application of Magma to the orc-infected area, results GUARANTEED!

Love, jakkarra

I would, except most of the Orcs are above the mouth of the magma pipe, and I don't have a Bauxite hose or anything to spray at them with =|

Jakkarra

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 04:23:35 pm »

send a sacrificial dwarf in there to lead them INTO the magma! he will be glad to die for the cause!

love, jakkarra

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:49 pm »

Any kind of magma based solution is recommended.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 04:38:49 pm »

I guess I will try to rig a complex series of pumps to pump the magma at the Orcs as they enter the canyon.

I will post results when done!

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 10:02:46 am »

an easy but cowardly way is to remove trapavoid until you get better defenses (from orcs..)

and only alot of crossbows can kill the orcs as one cant even kill a single orc before he arrived at the dwarfs location (except the incredible lung/heartpierce trick all marksdwarfs know but only use when it isnt needed)

dont try to storm them in melee unless youre vastly superiorly equipped (is that a word?) and with almost the same numbers. a trick is also to use GCS as tanks while youre other meleers ambush.

or the trick i used, a 20-zlevels high up bridge as entrance and spam pull the lever, makes the ground highly decorated with nice red glow. even nicer with some kitten blood too.

put GCS's there to finish them if they survive somehow.

Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:17 am »

I think that the human diplomat dying means that humans will automatically siege you next year. Good luck.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:10 pm »

I think that the human diplomat dying means that humans will automatically siege you next year. Good luck.

Hell yes!

Also, I found out that when webbed, any creature with [trAPAVOID] can still be caught in a cage trap.  I opened one wall at a time, and caught 6 of the orcs in cages when my spiders started spraying webs.  A few spiders died, but they bit a couple of Orcs in half and the remaining squad fled.

A human hammerman also helped out by bashing one's head off.

But when my dwarves went out to try to get the cages... some got trapped as well when they got webbed.  Serves them right for wasting my silk.

Can't wait for Human Seige now  :)  Adds to the FUN

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »

They just sit around the campfire, killing you hard.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:02:25 pm »

They just sit around the campfire, killing you hard.

Really?  That's kinda disappointing.

Will they just keep sieging forever?  Or will they ever trade with me again?
Pages: [1] 2