Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I look at the world differently after playing DF  (Read 2190 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I look at the world differently after playing DF
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 12:29:30 am »

I just tried to back out of a menu in BIOS.

With space.

LOL

I also had a dream that was some funky DF TF2 mix thing, unfortunately I don't recall the details of it.

Urist McDwarf cancels sleep: SPYCHECK!
THAT MARKSDWARF IS A SPIE!
Damn pyros, lighting up all my dwarfs
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:31:16 am by Eviltyphoon »
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:07:20 am »

I keep thinking when I see my kittens "They need to be butchered soon"  :(

too late, it's adopted you
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 07:38:03 am »

Now, I am not sure if people think differently, but I was walking outside after school, and I noticed on the ground there were ant hills. They were tiny ant hills, and I appreciated the work they had done for a moment. I looked at the series of hills that probably connected together, vertically and horizontally, amazing. What rooms connected, where they stored food, eggs, and so on. Where their queen was. So, after thinking about it, I destroyed it. Losing is fun right? xD I decided to give those ants a little fun.

Anything you think of differently?
Parhaps introducing you to DF wasn't such a grand idea after all.
On the other hand, that is somewhat dwarfy...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 08:28:06 am »

Volfram has been unhappy lately.

He has lost a good friend recently.  He has lost a friend recently.  He has been frustrated at work lately.  He has enjoyed violence lately.  He has lost a friend recently.

Volfram cancels work on Microcontroller project: throwing tantrum

(thoughts that went through my head yesterday afternoon.)

(also, the board doesn't properly support wounds screen colors.  We don't have anything for light or moderate injuries.)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 11:08:36 am »

"Huh, there is a little stretch of land under that drawbridge. Better not go there, I might get atom smashed."
"Man it's hot today. Why isn't my grass yellow?"
"Digging through clay to make supports? Gimmie a pickaxe and this should go fast!"

All these thoughts and more happened within the past month.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »

I haven't really been playing long enough yet, but let's just say I've considered putting a tactical moat in my garden.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »

I've been wondering why some cultures depend entirely on livestock. Don't they get horrible lag?

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »

Now, I am not sure if people think differently, but I was walking outside after school, and I noticed on the ground there were ant hills. They were tiny ant hills, and I appreciated the work they had done for a moment. I looked at the series of hills that probably connected together, vertically and horizontally, amazing. What rooms connected, where they stored food, eggs, and so on. Where their queen was. So, after thinking about it, I destroyed it. Losing is fun right? xD I decided to give those ants a little fun.

Anything you think of differently?
Parhaps introducing you to DF wasn't such a grand idea after all.
On the other hand, that is somewhat dwarfy...

Aldaris! I told you I didnt need another addiction!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:46 pm »

Yeah, playing dwarf fortress makes me wonder what these odd meats would taste like (sea lampreys, dogs, cats, exotic sharks, ect) and wondering how much animals on the Discovery channel would be worth if their fat was rendered down into soap.

Back in the day when I created levels for Doom II, I'd notice and admire certain architectual things on buildings that could be possible to replicate in Doom's engine. Those monolithic concrete government buildings that were popular in the 70's and stuff, and I'd be thinking "Man, this building would look great in a .wad" and I'd be thinking about how to translate the structure into the dimensions and the textures of the editor.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:05 am »

DF has made me think about, of all things, religion.

Okay, say there is a "creator". How do we know he's the only one out there. Maybe one super being coded the world, one generated the world with certain parameters, and then handed it off to a different super being "because it has some really nice fjords!".

That superbeing starts playing around with the started civs, and decides it wants to run a succession game... And so on, you see where I'm going. If anything, stuff like this makes MORE sense than classic religous suppositions! And thus I can thank dwarf fortress for making me think of every creature in this world as a pawn of some behinds the scene power who might have a bit of moral responsibility towards but hell, lets be honest, it's just in this to entertain itself!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 10:01:35 am »

When my boss told me that I was supposed to go and move some of the boxes from the new servers we got in the other day, I told him that I didn't have the Refuse Hauling skill and we should have one of the peasants move it.

He did not think it was nearly as funny as I did...
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

When my boss told me that I was supposed to go and move some of the boxes from the new servers we got in the other day, I told him that I didn't have the Refuse Hauling skill and we should have one of the peasants move it.

That there is gold.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:13 am »

Joke's on you. There's no refuse hauling skill. It's a task.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:36 am »

When I woke up and looked at my clock, it said 7:07.  I thought I was drowning.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:29 am »

When I woke up and looked at my clock, it said 7:07.  I thought I was drowning.

In Magma?

*turns temperature on*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.
Pages: 1 [2]