Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77230 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #345 on: May 20, 2009, 08:18:32 am »

yeh i like the bird headware but the bear is not massively clear. Also, the carp one looks as if the elf just got some orange ice cream dumped on his head. I certainly like the non military elves so far though.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 20, 2009, 08:21:09 am »

How about some Tiki masks?

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 20, 2009, 10:44:54 am »

So this came to me last night in bed for an idea for kobolds. It's sticking with Toady's description as little brown goblins.. but giving them some cute primitive charm?

Neruz's post actually made me decide to throw them up here this morning.

So im thinking... little brown goblins.. with clay pot helmets!

Just throwing them out there while i keep screwing around with elf armour.

To Madrain: I might go with different colour "barks" for the different armours, that way birdman can keep his orange "pine" ness, and i tried a blue for the carp gear this morning like Neruz suggested.. but he started to look like an actual carp-man O_O. I'll post carp-man when i post some more armour idea's today. And with the weapon clutter, correct me if I'm wrong.. but cant elves only use spears/swrods/bows? Or is it just that they can only "make" them? Because those weapons dont really take up much room, and I can use the kind of bow stance that I gave to the human hunter to keep the bow in the lower left corner of the sprite where there isnt really anything going on.

To Bricks: Honestly... I'm just winging it :P I was thinking of having a different animal armour for each different weapons elf. But I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with enough armours if I have to make one for every weapon.. But I was thinking like wrestling=bigcat armour, spear=birdman, sword=???, and bow=carpwithlazersonhisheadman.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:54 am »

How about some Tiki masks?

The size limits probably make tiki masks an impossibility without making them either nowhere near as detailed as real ones or comically large.

Besides, why would you want your elves to remind you of tacky tourist bars from the 50's?  :p  (although on second thought.. what might the druid look like?)

edit:  OMFG I DEMAND YOU MAKE THOSE KOBOLDS (please? 9_9)

But I was thinking like wrestling=bigcat armour, spear=birdman, sword=???, and bow=carpwithlazersonhisheadman.

The graphics_example.txt file I have only shows bow, sword, spear, and wrestler.  I checked and in adventure mode it seems you can only start with the same weapons.  I have no idea if they can use more if enabled for fortress mode, though.  I guess that's good, anyways, since you don't have to make as many weapons?

I picture birds as using bows (feather arrow fletching, after all), carps as wrestlers (with the urban legend that carp pull in dwarves on riverbanks), cats (since you suggested them) as spears.. for swords perhaps try some sort of reptile, like an alligator/crocodile?   You might also try to get some sort of wolf look, or warthog...

Just suggestions. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:15:39 am by madrain »

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:10 am »

Beefmo, I could change the name of my thread if it is too bothersome for you or your audience. Just a thought.  :P

By the way, did you get a chance to see my set?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:22:56 am by johnnybeltz »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2009, 05:50:35 pm »

I must comment, those elves look like hicks.
They do, utterly appropriate.  And yet strangely different.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:53 pm »

Bad day today so didnt get much done ><

Just messed around with some more possible elf armour and kobold clay hats! Theyre ever so addictive to play with... so I thought I'd do something like i did before and post a little 100% kobold for people to give me inspiration for more clay pot helmets! If I go the way im thinking with them.... I'm going to be wanting a different helmet for every kobold! :P

Tigergear -> Crocgear -> Boargear -> Recolours of carpgear
Many Kobold helms->->->
The Playstation kobolds? ->->->

And one for people to mess around with:

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »

I call him Pot on Head:

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »

These are easily the best ideas for elves and kobolds ever.  Even the cutebolds aren't this awesome.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2009, 07:55:38 pm »

Those are sooo cute. Where can I buy the plush toy?

Edit:

:P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:27:27 pm by Redhades »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

I COMMAND THAT YOU GIVE THE ELVES CURLY MUSTACHES
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:47:21 pm by Tradanbattlan »

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2009, 09:40:34 pm »

Screw elves.. I think I'll finish kobolds first!

Soooo... Ima need a shit tonne of helmets stat!

And in the meantime i give you the kobold master thief: Stealth is an artform.. and he is Picasso!

To Redhades: Nothing to say but.. LAWL! :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »

I love these sprites so far, and will definitely get to using them ASAP. My only present concern about them thus far is with the Elves: though I like the artistic concept of animal-themed masks, that might cause some confusion with the Beast Races (Olm-Men, Cave Swallow-Men, Frog-Men, etc.) Do the masks represent Military Classes or Trades or what?

Also, are you planning on spriting on through the entire zoology of DF once the Civs are done? At least for Megabeasts? I'd love to see a full set of sprites in this style, though I know that is a bit of a daunting task.

P.S. love the Kobold Master Theif with the false head and arms. Cute and funny.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:05 am »

I love the look of them but they do not work, or at least the instructions for using them are incomplete.  Any chance of creating a pack which does not require downloading a complete replacement DF and manually patching bits of it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:22:09 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:10 am »

I suck at writing instructions.. or anything for that matter.. but lets see what I can do to get them to work for you:

Firstly, unless your using 40d11 you'll have to open each of the sprite sheets in paint or something similar and manually convert them to .bmp files via save as (Since .png support was only introduced in 40d11 and any version prior wont recognise them).

Secondly if your using a graphics pack thats not the DFG (MikeMayday pack) youll have to find the "graphics.txt" file in the raw/graphics folder in DF (It may have different names depending on the set you were using, which MAY consist of several .txt files) and find the relevant entry positions in those files for the text under each sprite sheet in the first post (Note: you'll also have to change the line from [FILE:mayday/dorfs.png] to[FILE:mayday/dorfs.bmp] if you had to convert them to .bmp files due to another version pre-40d11)

Thirdly it "SHOULD" work.. But it is late and I am stupidly tired so I might have missed something. If your still having problems post here and I'll check back in the morning.

Writing the text files and compiling it I'm kind of putting off since I HATE doing that stuff :P

To Solifuge: Hopefully there wont be too much confusion.. since I am only going to use the animal masks for military and mabey some rare nobles. I dont really plan on making an olm/frog/swallow mask and eventually I plan to get around to doing the other sprites for animals so I'll make sure there is a visible difference. But thats way down the bottom of my list ATM :P ... but technically I am like.. umm.... almost 4/5ths of the way through the vanilla races! WHEEE!

To Vactor: You call him Pot on head.. I call him possible cook! :P

To Johnnybeltz: Keep forgetting to reply... Your set's looking great, only suggestion I'd make would be to change the pure black outline your using, since the DF background colour is pure black anyway (unless its "flickering" or dworning?) It doesnt really do that much. But If you use a darker grey instead you'll still get that nice outline youve got going and it will show up everywhere! Keep it up! (And dont worry about changing your thread name doesnt bother me)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:25:43 am by Beefmo »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39