Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77218 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:20 pm »

Champion suggestion, I noticed you have two pixel lines at their backs of usable space.

Edit: maybe i should not what i made, arm wraps, (Im no good at shading :( ) red cloth catching the wind to strike awe and fear into enemies ( ja ja they is being ribbons, but believe me they are manly ribbons) longer flowing war-robe and an arm reaching back... for a weapon? for the air itself? for a fist full of justice? only he know for sure.

Edit2: WAR RIBBONS!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:14:03 pm by Bloogonis »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2009, 10:28:28 pm »

Can I suggest that the sashes be color-coded based on which branch? Green for regulars, blue for guards, red for royal guards.

Also, I think the champions should have a heroic-looking "Captain Badass/Ironblood" pose.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:30:31 pm by Techhead »
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:52 pm »

I like breaking up the ranks by color, if only to get some diversity.

Personally I might go for color combinations to signify weapon as well as proficiency, but that could get to be a massive headache rather quickly.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »

Just playtested them abit in dwarf mode:

They look really great, however i have a very hard time knowing what profession a civilian dwarf is by glancing.  With this set if i want to determine the makeup of a mob of dwarves in a meeting area, I have to look directly at each dwarf to note it's profession.   With a bit more color variance I think it would be much easier to scan a large group and know roughly what is in it. 

If i could just get one unit changed it would be the children. They seem to provide the most information noise when looking at a group of dwarves (because there are many of them, and because they are the most non-descript, making them more likely to be confused for another profession)

In short, the art is great, but the colors are all too muted for my liking right now.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »

Make the beards bigger and multicolored...

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2009, 01:39:10 am »

Distraction brings you my possible human adventurer/champion!

To DoctorZ: Just for you I'll whip up a blueman pew pew :P

To Madrain: Yeah, Red's pretty much reserved for the military and "maybe" the nobles. Commoners I'm agreeing with the more earthy tones and whites... we'll see what I can come up with.

To Techhead: I don't really want to colour code the human military. I might be able to tweak the differences between military/guards but I want them to have an "empire" feel to them. Again we'll see what I can whip out :P

To Vactor: There is a semi-colour code going on in the dwarves... like blue outfits = craftsdwarves, brown = farmers, and grey = stone workers. Im thinking though if I go about and colour code the beards too it might end up just looking lame? I will change around the kiddy dwarf for you though since I can agree with you there... and I'll have a try and colour coding the dwarven beards to see what they look like.. so stay tuned!

And once more Thanks for all ye comments!

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2009, 03:52:53 am »

Wow! Those soldiers are all awesome! I think you have the persian/near-east look perfect! Im also loving the new weapons and the adventurer is pretty damn good too!

Could I possibly use the elite-royal-swordsman as an avatar please?

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:39 am »

I hate sets with differently colored beards for profession.  It's the main reason I use dystopian rhetoric and not any other sets.

The only time I like color coding is when I'm using plain ASCII graphics.  Otherwise I've never needed them.  I guess I do tend to find dwarfs I need with the u menu, no matter the graphics set.  :p

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2009, 08:56:19 am »

That human champion\adventurer looks like he has angry eyes. He actually doesn't, but at a glance he appears to :P

Endemion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2009, 11:27:57 am »

That new adventurer sprite makes me cry out for animated graphics...

Toady, please?

Man that would be sweet.  In all seroiusness, I love this set, and I can't wait for the finished project.

As an aside, I wonder how these would look as 24x24.  You can get a decent sized map on a widescreen with that size, and should be able to get some decent pixel detail too.  Maybe I'll just have to attempt a resize when the full set comes out.

Thanks again for your work Beefmo

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2009, 11:39:26 am »

Seeing these guys makes me want to play Diablo 2.

Specifically the second act.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:03 pm »

I would agree about the color coded beard being lame, I was just suggesting greater variation.

The most identifiable right now to me are the dwarves that have something significant that stands out: planters, furnace operators, woodworkers, farmers, fisherdwarves, military and nobles.

Beards could be used for variation by using natural hair colors: blonde, brown, black, and red

Part of the problem could also be that i have a very bright monitor and some of the color might be getting washed out.

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

A Swordsman dor the Kivish and a docM for the docZ! (100% included for easy paste over your sheet!)

Got some stuff I have to do today, but after tht I`ll get back to work and try some beardy dwarves!

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »

Just messing around with trying to get human jobs to fit into the `feel`:

Miner -> Mason -> Woodcutter -> Carpenter -> Engraver
Butcher -> Cook -> Bowyer -> Animal caretaker&trainer -> Hunter -> Trapper

Haven`t had a chance to mess around with dwarves beards yet.. sorry ><

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher