Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77197 times)

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:55 am »

Hoorah! New sprites to work with!

Just a mock up of a basic human model as well as a standard and elite military unit. And not so sure how people will take to my new model for elves.... They look more canabalistic to me!

And I was `fairly`sure that I read that 40d11 has fixed the whole cat problem... hence the CAT_MOUTH thing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2009, 12:43:08 pm »

The creature in the left bottom corner looks like an old man without a stick :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:19 pm »

I wanted to go for a `new` look for elves, mainly because I don`t want them just to look like pointy eared humans... and THAT would be extremely tedious to draw. Besides, I`ve never really pictured the DF elves like normal elves.. I mean.. they eat human flesh! AREN`T WE ANIMALS TOO! HYPOCRITES!

(Edit)

Just messing around with helms and armour for humans.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:04:26 pm by Beefmo »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2009, 01:09:46 pm »

make the hair green, as well as the clothing? (when i first looked at it I thought to myself, "well thats and interesting way to go about kobolds" lol.)

so far the elves in graphics sets have been more based on Tolkien elves, while DF elves are more feral. all the things i can find on elves is that they are beautiful young human like characters, so the sprite doesn't convey.

The eating of humanoids to the elves of DF is just like a hawk eating a sparrow they are different species entierly, they have the omnivore tag right? and they have nothing in their ethics about not eating other humanoids, do to the fact that they see no living thing on a different level from Fuzzy Wambler to the GCS to Dwarves, they arn't actually cannibals, in that they don't eat other elves.

it could be a Kobold noble maybe?

Sorry if this makes your job harder :)

EDIT: Love the bottom right helm! also had an urge to explain the green hair and cloths, its like they dont have cloths, but moss and such grows on them :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:13:19 pm by Bloogonis »

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2009, 01:36:22 pm »

Great job, these really should be the packaged graphics with DF cause they are awesome!
Found some errors though,
the dyer needs the following mayday entry:

Code: [Select]
   [DYER:DORFS:5:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
The current is just a black square.

Stoneworker's current entry is also wrong, he shows as a miner, for it to look like a mason it should be changed to:

Code: [Select]
   [STONEWORKER:DORFS:1:14:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
The humans look great, im having a go at some human variations myself, as i think they need some leather/less metal.

If you remove the hair under the elfs face he should look better imo.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2009, 01:59:14 pm »

Got distracted again... I blame bloogonis for this one.

An Elf through the eyes of a dwarf!

And I`ll have a look over my txt file again after I get some `house`stuff done ><

(Edit)

Fix`t the text file. Thanks Kivish!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:12:47 pm by Beefmo »

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2009, 02:14:11 pm »

oh my that is strangely cool!

Heres some quick test:

For the soldiers ive gone for a chainmail look, which I think is more suitable for basic soldiers, the kettle hat is just for variety.

As for the elves I did Bloogonis' idea of moss growing on them

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2009, 02:28:07 pm »

I had the half-sprites issue when I first started using graphics and it took a long time to sort out. Use K to figure out what the creature ACTUALLY is and that file is probably a .png in disguise as a .bmp
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »

Love that look of your last soldier! He adds a good different look that my helmet was lacking. I toyed around with the chainmail look, but with my shoulder guard it didn`t look so great, that said, I think your onto something there!

Also I`ll wait for some more comments before i decide what to do with my elf ><

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 07, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »

I like the different take on elves, especially diverging from standard D&D elves to fit more with the theme of -this- game.

My only thought so far is that, while they do look more feral, the severe hunchback might look cooler if it was more of a stance than a physical defect - maybe have a spread-legged stance so it looks like they are more "carnivore ready to maul" and less "geriatric ready to fall".

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »

My only thought so far is that, while they do look more feral, the severe hunchback might look cooler if it was more of a stance than a physical defect - maybe have a spread-legged stance so it looks like they are more "carnivore ready to maul" and less "geriatric ready to fall".

Yeah, I think you are right. I looks like they are exhausted from exertion or something.

Maybe something more like this?...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As long as they end up looking like something I want to kill, I am ok with whatever you decide on,  :)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

I dont know about the elves.  :P

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 07, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »

I suppose I'll be the voice of dissent yet again and proclaim that I love the new elves!  I never really pictured them hunched over, but I love new interpretations instead of the same old fantasy cliche.

You know what they remind me of?  The mystics from The Dark Crystal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think you should run with it.  I like your white hair better than Kivish's green hair model, too.  The dark hair and dark clothes just makes it look muddy, and the small sprites are already hard enough to see on the land level as it is.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:09:46 pm by madrain »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #208 on: May 07, 2009, 06:04:41 pm »

Can you guys test this:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/DFG17.zip

Dwarfs implemented. Those who had problems with adding stuff before, should try adding goblins for example and see if it works.
<3

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2009, 06:06:58 pm »

"Oops! This link appears broken."

Not up yet?

Edit:  Ah, there we go..   heh.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39