Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77143 times)

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2009, 05:24:25 pm »

To PMantix: The bottom one has the "loop" i messed around with from my goblin page, and the top one is inspired by your over the shoulder look.. maybe if i change the rope colour slightly it will stand out better.. but still not sure yet.. we'll call him a work in progress :P

The only issue I see with wrapping the whip around his arm is it makes it look a bit like a shield. Of the proposed, I think the original is still superior. You may try making the coil in his hand (like he is holding a hoop, like Indiana Jones or something) but I wouldn't stay up at night if you just went with what you had from the beginning. Maybe the whip could be in action? Like cracking through the air? That might be too big to depict properly. Hmm..

Also, and I hate to say this because I love the artwork, but the leatherworker doesn't fit with the other craft workers. He should be holding some leather skin in front of him ready to work rather than wearing the final product. That said, maybe you could modify it to be the hunter? Although, I loved the hunter art too, agk! Can't win I guess.

And, I vote for the kobold head in the middle and I can tell you why I like it; it has a humanoid shape and pointy ears. I know, I know. They are reptilian by lore..  I just like them that way. Maybe it was castle of the winds that burned that image into my brain (and actually..  its been so long since I played that, that I may have remembered the kobolds incorrectly. Which would completely deflate this entire section of my post.) So yeah, whatever, the one in the middle gets my vote.  :)

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2009, 06:11:23 pm »

Ok, so the !`s are definitely out! And I`m still totally on the fence when it comes to the kobolds so keep the input coming. Who knows.. i might get a eureka! moment and come up with something sweet.. i can only hope. Gobbo came up with an awesome rendition of his kobolds that fits so well especially with his sick comics and dwarings, and I in no means plan to steal it :P

To PMantix: I whipped up a little leatherworker in the same feel as the other craftsdwarves, and tried to make the looped whip look less shieldish, because i totally agree with you that it did look too much like one. I did really like your second try at it though so i may have to stank that in the end :P Looking at it again.. i think one pixel might make the difference for the loop method there. And maybe i can screw around with the other leatherworker and make him into some type of noble? If i stick with the norse theme that`s going through the military, a noble wearing a wolf skin wouldn`t be out of place?

Also in there is a royal guard i THINK i might roll with... is like a combination of all three but I`m still not sure... just the plain winged helm is kinda growing on me. Still need more thoughts on the fortress and royal guards!

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2009, 07:06:06 pm »

To PMantix: I whipped up a little leatherworker in the same feel as the other craftsdwarves, and tried to make the looped whip look less shieldish, because i totally agree with you that it did look too much like one. I did really like your second try at it though so i may have to stank that in the end :P Looking at it again.. i think one pixel might make the difference for the loop method there. And maybe i can screw around with the other leatherworker and make him into some type of noble? If i stick with the norse theme that`s going through the military, a noble wearing a wolf skin wouldn`t be out of place?

Leather worker fits now. I like it.

You know, I think the one pixel really made a big improvement for the animal trainer. It certainly looks like rope now and not a shield. But we are going for more than just rope, we want a whip! I think if you put the "business end" of the whip on, you might have a nice balance between them. Maybe down and out in front like before?

As far as the guards go, I say make your most recent one the captain of the guard. Without 'wings' should be regular guards, and then without 'manes' should be recruits. Seems to make sense..  increasingly elaborate head wear usually correlates with rank.

Not such a fan of the royal golden dwarves themselves..  but maybe golden armor for the royal guard? I see that it is actually the trim you have colored..   but what it looks like is the dwarve's face, hands, and feet. Maybe something like this;

Fitting, that the guys protecting the tax collector are coated in gold. Bastards.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:50 pm »

How about a more prominent comb? maybe a full helm?

something like this?(not to scale)

Edited to fit your style of course. maybe you could color the bat wings the same color of the trim, you should keep the combo of both.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32:57 pm »

Just a few more jobs out of the way while I try to wrap my head around things.

Butcher -> Fisherdwarf -> Planter
Pump operator -> Fish cleaner -> Milker

To Bloogonis: The problem I have is that I`ve only got about two MAYBE three sprites above the apex of the helm that I can play with.. but you gave me an idea!

So... here`s the helms I`m using so far (Ripped from their little dwarven heads) that I thought I`d throw out there for people to mess around with and see what ideas you can come up with!

But bear in mind, like I said there`s only like two sprites above the peaked helms and three above the flat style of helm before you start encroaching on the other sprites. Comes in both 100 AND 200% zoom! OMG! :P

(Edit: Chucked in a basic dwarf in armour with 16x16 box to try them on :P)
(Edit: For terrible grammer!)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:49:12 pm by Beefmo »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

1-3 Royal guard ideas, 4 Town Guard Idea, 5 High priest of Armok (just for fun)

also, YAY DRESS UP!

Town guard idea happened by accident while working on number 3.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2009, 02:51:54 am »

Storm knocked out my power and net for the day, so I haven't been able to respond sooner.  So let's see if I can remember all I wanted to respond to!

I like the helm with the comb-thing the best.  I especially like it since it has no horns but still looks different from the regular guards.. it lets me easily identify them.  I liked the second gold trim, the darker one, but the trimmed brow did make it look like it was some blonde unibrow.  I liked Bloodgonis' idea of the vertical trim and if I weren't playing a game right now I'd mock up something combining the two.

I hate the Kobold Quest kobold.  It's ugly and just looks like a generic fantasy goblin covered in bark.  Of your head samples, the second and fourth are my favorites - the second because it is cute (lending people to use it rather than search out the cutebolds), and the fourth because it is small (can't remember the size from the raws, but I have gotten used to kobolds looking smaller than dwarves from using Dystopian Rhetoric's graphics.

Allow me to dissent a little with your choice of both planter and pump operator.  Pump operator because I have seen that mario idea A LOT and it's really tired.  It's a shame to see such original jobs elsewhere and then basically the same idea everyone else has had.  I have no suggestion for a better pump operator though.. maybe a buff dwarf wearing only briefs, like some sort of muscleman?

Planter I only disagree with because I think it makes a much better farmer.  I think for Planter you might consider going Johnny Appleseed - pot for a helmet, lugging a huge bag of seeds?

Just my 2 cents.  I love all your other ideas; the new leatherworker is great but the old one should be used for something because it is kind of awesome.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2009, 11:15:35 am »

My two Dorfbucks: This is the greatest tile set I have seen for dorfs n' goblins. Ever. So I will now say my part. I love the tiles for the goblins, and especially the military dwaves, but I think it would be somewhat difficult to distinct between one civilian and another, due to mostly the games lack of larger tiles, but I would suggest color coding them a little more. I'm used to using the DFG, and the dwarves, while they don't have actual individual sprites for jobs, are coded by color so you can find your masons and not your cheesemakers.

That's just my opinion, though. I'm using this whichever way it goes, so keep up the good work!  ;)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2009, 11:20:53 am »

I like Bloogonis' number 3 for the royal gaurd and 4 for the town gaurd it makes them look unified but nicely distinguishable
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:45 pm »

Slept in today so its time to get to work!

To Bloogonis: Great work! Especially love the High priest of Armok! ...hmm.. Do you ever meet dwarven priests in adventure mode? If so hes definitely going in with your consent!

To Madrain: So your forum name caught up with you eh? :P I Agree with the thoughts on the kobold quest kobald.. If I take that route they will just end up looking like little dirty goblins, which is what my no.2 kobald was trying to replicate a few posts back with the craftsdwarves attached.
I completely forgot about the "generic" jobs that immigrants come with and your dwarves can become with a multi specialization, so the "planter" will definitely become the "farmer". And has mario really been overused? O_O I was just flowing with the idea that was posted :P But they could work reusing the wrestler model with a bare head and short shorts? It would work better for all those military dwarfs in training. And the old leatherworker will more than likely be reincarnated as some form of noble, maybe an early stage noble... not sure yet.

To Vampire Penguin: Ive been toying with the idea of some sort of colour coding with the jobs. You can see it kinda in the cloth colours of the craftsdwarfs, farmer dwarfs, stone workers, and to a lesser extent the hunter/trapper. But I havent got around to beard colours yet so once I get them all done and start picking beards I'll see how the colour coding could be taken to the next level.

And wheres my Footkerchief! Needs more input!

Anyway.. back to spriting! WHEE!

(Edit:)

Oh! And keep the military dwarf/kobold suggestions coming while i keep bumping out the rest of the job sprites.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2009, 12:59:49 pm »

Just thought I should show my support for your graphics set, its looking sweet so far and I'm enjoying to keep track of this topic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2009, 01:37:09 pm »

I think the "farmers" are done!

New planter -> Herbalist -> Cheese maker -> Miller -> Thresher?

And in finding out what a "thresher" should actually look like i found this!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And thanks for the support Vattic, it means alot!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »

some noble Ideas for you, Hope it helps jog your creativity with flux capacitor level gigawatts!

DM Idea, since they usually show up with only a cloak mittens and socks, it is all he has, plus some animal friends,(note the strategically placed two-legged rhino lizard.

PhilosopherIdea has a labcoat type thing, meh dont know if it works.

Baron idea (lamest of the bunch), shortened the beard, cause he is of course not the awesomest dwarf and only awesome dwarfs have long beards.

The only good noble is a burning noble! so I sprited accordingly.

well the reason I'm posting is to give you use of my talents to augment your project. So yes you can use him in any way you see fit. (If you cant use him as a dwarf, maybe He could be Armok! Megabeast with max damblock and size Equip and all other learning and speaking tags :o)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 02:50:10 pm »

And in finding out what a "thresher" should actually look like i found this!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you sure the DF thresher doesn't use a flail?  I don't know when those big wagon-type threshing machines were invented, but it might too late a technology for dwarves (similar to Toady's thoughts on various smelting/misc ore-processing techniques).  Example here.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2009, 04:33:38 pm »

Just a quick update since I'm really not sure about one of them.

Cook -> Brewer -> Alternate pump operator -> Mechanic

Its the brewer I'm not to sure of... think maybe I tried to cram too much in.

To Bloogonis: Your definitely giving me idea's. Great work!

To Earthquake: Yeah, I gave my threshers flails.. atleast I tried to, but i think i need to rework its colour so it stands out more. That pic was just something i found on wiki while i was trying to figure out what a thresher was meant to... umm.. thresh with? Thought it was a pretty dwarfy way to thresh imo!

(Edit: Few more jerbz)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:55:45 pm by Beefmo »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39