Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77145 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 02:07:07 am »

... depends on the feedback ...

Man, do you need to ask about feedback? These simply ARE the best DF sprites yet.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:24 am »

You could solve the guards by giving them different helmets?

I was just thinking that; give the Royal Guards the ole Greek\Roman "Centurian" style helmets with a big feathery crest on top instead of pointy horns, that should make them stand out more.

The capes look good too.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2009, 05:17:08 am »

That's not a bad idea with the different helmet.  Or perhaps a more precious looking armor, like gold or something?  Seen other graphics sets try that, anyways.  You could also try something like circlets.  I like the capes, too, but agree that on some, it gets a little messy (swordsdwarf).

Man, do you need to ask about feedback? These simply ARE the best DF sprites yet.

I have to agree with this sentiment.  These are just fantastic!  I love the jobs so far.  Also, do try kobolds--just because the cutebolds are great doesn't mean we wouldn't all love to see what you come up with (and appreciate the unified tilesets!).

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2009, 07:04:40 am »

Royal Guard definitely needs gold armor.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:03 am »

Just woke up and into more sprites!... well... actually... touching up on suggestions :P

Tried out a couple new helms for the royal guard Winged helm -> Noideaifthishelmevenhasaname helm -> Reworked animal caretaker.

The royal guards both have a recolour too with gold trim, i used the bright gold on the winged helm just incase people wanted me to try it.. honestly i dont like it much, but the second deeper gold is kinda growing on me.

To PMatix: The bottom one has the "loop" i messed around with from my goblin page, and the top one is inspired by your over the shoulder look.. maybe if i change the rope colour slightly it will stand out better.. but still not sure yet.. we'll call him a work in progress :P

To Madrain: I wanted to stay away from colour coded armour for dwarves, but tell me if you think the gold trim looks half decent in any of the colour variations.

And thanks again all! LET THERE BE PIXELS! *and there were*

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »

agreed
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 01:21:21 pm »

To Mike Mayday: Thanks for the encouragment! But youll have to explain this DFG to me :P you lost me at the G!
It's a version of Dwarf Fortress with a full graphics pack already included. I've been using both mine and other people's sprites to make it and it has a certain popularity, mostly among people who don't feel like messing around with files. You can view it through the link in my sig.

And seriously, these ARE the best sprites. Both readable and adorable.
<3

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »

Getting kinda distracted today... my girlfriend bought me a new cap! So i have to mess around with it to make it mine. AND she stanked my computer so i get the pixel screen! WHEEE!

Anyway, some more jobs not sure about the route i took with the craftsdwarves here but anyway... Looking at them more now and i REALLY dont like the !`s i put in there to make them look like they`re having an idea, so those will most likely go bye bye.

Bone carver -> Wood crafter -> Leatherworker -> Weaver & clothesmaker -> Kobold attempt 1
Stone crafter -> Tanner -> Glassmaker -> Kobold attempt 2

So i tried to make a kobald.. then realised WTF IS A KOBALD!?! I remembered reading this post ages ago http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27983.0 So I tried to make one according to toady... but on the plus side.. if I make the first kobalds body bigger, and add a tail.. BAM! Ratmen done? I`ll keep messing around and seeing what I can come up with though while I keep plodding through dwarf jobs.. which I think are nearing an end!

To Mike Mayday: Sure go for it, I just wasn`t sure what you were refering to :P It`s actually the pack I used after I first tried to play in ASCII (which failed after about 20 mins :() I`ll post the 100% zoom png`s once I get my comp back later tonight.

BACK TO MAH DWARFS!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:51:34 pm by Beefmo »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2009, 03:21:48 pm »

No offense but IMO both of those kobolds are pretty suckish. If you don't want them to wind up like rats I would suggest giving them a better defined snout and not have wiskers attached to said snouts. The ears and coloration of the hands plus feet could use work.

Raws for Kobolds

Spoiler: RAWS (click to show/hide)

Interestingly enough Kobolds have no tails.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »

e: nm

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2009, 03:57:27 pm »

Getting kinda distracted today... my girlfriend bought me a new cap! So i have to mess around with it to make it mine. AND she stanked my computer so i get the pixel screen! WHEEE!

Anyway, some more jobs not sure about the route i took with the craftsdwarves here but anyway... Looking at them more now and i REALLY dont like the !`s i put in there to make them look like they`re having an idea, so those will most likely go bye bye.

Bone carver -> Wood crafter -> Leatherworker -> Weaver & clothesmaker -> Kobold attempt 1
Stone crafter -> Tanner -> Glassmaker -> Kobold attempt 2

So i tried to make a kobald.. then realised WTF IS A KOBALD!?! I remembered reading this post ages ago http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27983.0 So I tried to make one according to toady... but on the plus side.. if I make the first kobalds body bigger, and add a tail.. BAM! Ratmen done? I`ll keep messing around and seeing what I can come up with though while I keep plodding through dwarf jobs.. which I think are nearing an end!

To Mike Mayday: Sure go for it, I just wasn`t sure what you were refering to :P It`s actually the pack I used after I first tried to play in ASCII (which failed after about 20 mins :() I`ll post the 100% zoom png`s once I get my comp back later tonight.

BACK TO MAH DWARFS!

Good work as ever. Especialy love glassmaker
Puting ! away is good idea - I am not sure what they shoud mean.
Kobold attempt 1 could be pretty good ratmen if had longer nose.
And yes, kobold 2 ... is ... not kobold :)
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »

Ok so I`m getting ahead of myself but anyway... kobold head mocks!

Just some head shapes i was messing with.. all subjective ofcourse.. since i don`t know what a kobold SHOULD look like.. I mean I`ve still got them stuck in my head as little ratdog men from baulders gate, but looking at that thread I`m totally confused as to what to do with them..... So I`ll just chuck these out there for ideas and put them on the back burner for now :P

Totally going to need some idea`s for kobalds... So if anyones got an idea about what they SHOULD look like do a little sketch or just stank a web image.. any help appreciated!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2009, 04:12:20 pm »

Ya, I guess you can't really outdo kobold camp :/

Edit: the first two of those seem pretty okay and i could see the third on nobility...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:15:00 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2009, 04:40:03 pm »

Quote from mentioned topic.

Guys, is it that hard to download the Kobold Quest  and run it once?

Head one, (far left) would fir the picture if the exposed teeth are removed. The middle head works very well, as well
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2009, 04:58:05 pm »

I adore the fifth one. kobolds are an odd thing to work with since they are, in folklore, invisible. and for the most part seeing one usually meant you were going to die, from a mine collapse or your ship sinking. Or it would show itself to you just to make you cranky and tell you it was going to stick around and anoy you forever.

I've personal grown partial to the Kobalds of Goblinscomic.com and have always imagined them to e fairly similar to various reptiles like the three toed skink for their affinities to water, caves, and really any place warm they can scoot into. Never saw them as anything similar to dragons except for the reptilian aspect, sometimes Ive even sketched them with fur, but their body type has always been reptilian to my eyes.

The image from kobald quest always annoyed me cause it simply looks like a mud brown goblin with long arms. granted there is only so much you can do if you want a sapient face. which is why I like the more reptilian face since they usually come into the thought process after you've locked down 6 or so Sapient faced races. (human, elf, dwarf, goblin, gnome, orc, etc.) I mean your dorfs get anoyed at having the same booz all the time, why do all the sentient races have to have sapient faces on top of apient bodies?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39