Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77131 times)

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:09 am »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 05:57:46 am »

By Jove, these are the best things DF has seen graphics-wise. Would you mind if I included your work in DFG?
<3

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 12:52:50 pm »

Another day.. more sprites! (I actually dreamed in pixels last night ><)

Anyway, Some mock ups of fortress and royal guard.. not sure if I'm happy with them, i dont know if theres enough distinction between them and the controllable military so ill wait for some feedback before i keep churning through those. Also the macelords BIG mace is back! (Thanks for the mock ups madrain!) and dwarven blowgunners are in..... not really happy about the elite version he may just get a simple blowgun like the normal dood... but i mean when really are you going to see a dwarven blowgunner! (although the same could be said for a goblin herbalist? ><)

To Mike Mayday: Thanks for the encouragment! But youll have to explain this DFG to me :P you lost me at the G!

And thanks again for the support everyone!

(Edit: For great avatar stankage?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:58:20 pm by Beefmo »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »

The trim on the royal guards' armor looks a bit too close to the flesh color to stand out.  Maybe make it a little deeper purple?

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »

The problem i found with a deeper purple was that it then blended into the armour grey too much ><

But here's some colour tests for the purple as well as a possible other method of distinction like a tabard and a cloak! Sadly there are some sprites that those two will just fail in... like the elite swordsdwarf here ><

But anyway! Any of those looking any better? I might just have to come up with a new way to make them stand out more T_T

(Edit)
(Edit:Yet more jerbz)

Annnnnddddd... some job sprites done... These guys are going to be trixy ><

Miner -> Carpenter -> Woodcutter -> Mason -> Gem cutter/setter
Engraver -> Animal trainer/caretaker -> Hunter -> Trapper -> Furnace operator/wood burner -> Blacksmithing jobs

And im starting to even see pixelated blackness when i close my eyes! So thats all for today :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:23:31 pm by Beefmo »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »

NO! THE MARKSDWARVES NEED LAZER EYES. NOT BOWS.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 07:10:01 pm »

I like the gem cutter's and engraver's tongues, heh.

Is the animal caretaker holding a whip? It looks slightly like a dead snake to me considering the context. Below is my poor attempt to improve it, in yellow again;

I was trying to make it look like the whip was coiled up in his hand and put a little more angle into it. Just a thought. I think I at least made the dead snake look a little more lively..  :D  that or I made a gigantic yellow tadpole.

Oh, one other thing. Perhaps a little beard color variation? I'm not suggesting you color code the beards to the job like a lot of other graphic sets do (white beards for masons, black beards for blacksmiths, etc.) unless you want to go that route. Just a little bit of variety is what I'm after.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 07:50:16 pm »

I love these. If you ever get around to replacing humans too, I'll replace my graphics with these. :)
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »

So although I'm taking a break from sprite work for the rest of the night.. i still cant stop myself perusing the forums ><

To PMantix: Yeah, its meant to be a whip, i tried the loop method when i was doing the goblins but i wasnt really a fan of it. Pretty sure I've still got it lying around on my messy messy goblin sprite sheet so ill rip it out tomorrow and stick it on the dwarf and you can tell me what you think. Do you think the Axelord and Macelord look better now btw? OH! And ill be trying some colour variation once ive got them layed out all in front of me. I figure it will be easier then, and hopefully it will be a good way to add some variety to these stubborn little fatties who refuse to let me change their stance much.

To Raz: I'll definitely get around to humans. Not sure if ill do elves or humans after i finish up dwarfs. But I'll be doing a full set for the vanilla races.

To Tradanbattlan: PHEAR NOT! YOUR LAZER EYES WILL COME!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:09:25 pm by Beefmo »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »

What about Kobolds?

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 08:10:23 pm »

Problem with kobalds is that.. im pretty sure i couldnt come close to those adorable little bastards from kobald camp ><

But ill try to mess around and do a basic figure tomorrow and see what i can do.. fingers crossed!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 08:15:19 pm »

Are you eventually going to do everything?

Like cats?

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »

That was my plan... eventually... to get a unified graphics set with the same style across the board...

*thinks*

THATS ALOT OF SPRITES! T_T

... what did i get myself into...

Really though it all depends on the feedback and weither i am capable of doing an awesome dragon sprite in 16X16 :P

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »

Yeah, its meant to be a whip, i tried the loop method when i was doing the goblins but i wasnt really a fan of it. Pretty sure I've still got it lying around on my messy messy goblin sprite sheet so ill rip it out tomorrow and stick it on the dwarf and you can tell me what you think. Do you think the Axelord and Macelord look better now btw? OH! And ill be trying some colour variation once ive got them layed out all in front of me. I figure it will be easier then, and hopefully it will be a good way to add some variety to these stubborn little fatties who refuse to let me change their stance much.

Here is another attempt at the whip..  still sucks, but I think I may be on to something.

Yes, the relative lords of the axe and mace both look much better now. Big war heads are sweetness.

Keep up the great work man. It is quite a large pile of work..  but you seem to be able to knock out some high quality sprites a lot faster than I'm be able to. Keep it fun and you won't get burned out, ;)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:15 am »

You could solve the guards by giving them different helmets?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39