Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77222 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2009, 01:36:18 am »

Good man! ;D You're getting a download from me!
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:58 am »

Okay, I tried them all, and I must say they look marvellous ingame!

However, there is one thing about your graphics set that makes it kind of a bitch to play with.. you didn't really colour code all professions. :P E.g., one should be able to see at first glance whether that military unit is a regular, guard (blue) or royal guard (purple) unit.

Edit: Another thing, the human military is a bit messed up. Crossbowmen are listed as lashers, lashers as blowgunmen and blowgunmen as crossbowmen.

Spoiler: fixed bit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:08:40 am by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 19, 2009, 02:33:22 am »

Holy crap they look awesome!

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 19, 2009, 05:57:25 am »

However, there is one thing about your graphics set that makes it kind of a bitch to play with.. you didn't really colour code all professions. :P E.g., one should be able to see at first glance whether that military unit is a regular, guard (blue) or royal guard (purple) unit.

From the post right before your previous one:

I kinda went as far down the colour coding path as i was happy with, i was trying to stay away from the ORANGE DWARF = WOOD GUY! and go towards a more... organic look to it. So you get your little dwarf fortress with the little buggers running around with stones and axes and fishing poles and whatnot. Guess it was the decision I made when i started out with this. But on the good note, theyres only like 2-3 colours shades max on each of the dwarves clothing.. so thats easy enough to colour change if you wish.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2009, 11:54:37 am »

To Raz: I decided when I started my humans that I wanted an imperial feel to them... and i figured best way for that was RED! With that said colour coding the military wasnt really an option for them so i decided to take that path and just up the size of their robes and add some other defining characteristics.
And thanks for the catch on the layout... I kinda posted this at 2:30 last night so i was pretty out of it and forgot that I switched them around for some reason... Anyways, the sprite sheet for them on the first post has been updated to get the positionings to correspond to the text entries :P

Now onto work on more sprites!... dont know which yet ><

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »

Ha! Hey, Beefmo, I'm sorry about our similar thread names, it is purely a coincidence  :D.

Anyways, nice set. I especially like the goblins, because each of them seems to have their own personality. Good job, and keep it up!  ;)

FriedFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:58 pm »

Beefmo, excellent work, I can't wait to see the other races.

I've noticed a few issues.

In the goblin military text you have axe(3), hammer(4), mace(5), but in the graphics you have them as mace(3), axe(4), hammer(5).

For the human military, it looks like you swapped mace and hammer.

For dorfs, humans and goblins, metalcrafter is using 0:19, the bone carver picture, instead of 8:19, the picture used for all the other metalworkers.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »

Thinking I`ll skip the medieval humans for now and bam out some elfs.. for the pure reason that i wants to play some DF! :P

So anyways.. some more mock ups for elves. Trying to keep the `savage` look without going geriatric ><

That said elven nobles will most likely get the geriatric treatment.. after all they are like hundreds of years old!

To Johnnybeltz: You made me click on the wrong post then go `WTF! WHY CANT I EDIT!!!!`:P

To FriedFish: Thanks for spotting those.. I suck at writing the text files :P So I fixed up the metalsmiths text entry in the first post, but I`ll change around the military units on the sprite sheet so my text and sheets can be uniform.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 19, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »

I love wht you did with the elves! I tend not to kill off the elves in my games because they generaly bring land foods and its always fun buying cages and finding the mystery animal inside, thats how i get most of my Fuzzy Wamblers. also, I work with hippies alot, and they generaly have a similar mindset to DF elves. ;D

cant wait what you are planing to do with their military.

also, tree bark can be varied:
birch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pine
Lichen for flavor

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 19, 2009, 08:44:32 pm »

I love those elves.  I wanted to suggest you start elves earlier, but then I didn't want to seem pushy!  These elves rock so hard.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 19, 2009, 09:53:53 pm »

I must comment, those elves look like hicks. This is the most hilariously awesome depiction of elves I have ever seen.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

So I kinda had this idea for elven military.. and maybe nobles too to some extent.

So here it is.. not happy with the colouring yet.. but.... wooden armour dressed as animals?

Bearthingy -> Birdthingy -> Dread carp wear!

To Bloogonis: Thanks for the bark pics! Very helpful for the ol' colour pallete. Stanked colours from the "pine" pic, but im thinking they might need to be muted down some.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:14 am »

Holy crap.  That armor is an awesome idea!

Beefmo, just when I think you could not surprise me more, I am floored yet again.

I agree the coloring needs work.  I actually really like that orange on the bird.  The carp seems like something lighter might be nice, though.

The only thing I worry about is it all becoming too busy once weapons are added, particularly the larger weapons like hammers or bows.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2009, 01:34:40 am »

Woah, I was scared of the vampire hunchback elves at first, but they are really shaping up.

Have you considered designing different animalmen, and then designing the elven military styles off of those?  Not sure how well you could coordinate that.  I like the bird, but the bear/carp aren't really clear.  The bear is kinda how I'd picture a kobold, and while the carp is... distinguishable, it reminds me more of LoZ's Zoras.  I might be judging too quickly.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:45 am »

I'd say use the armor as a time to go wild on color; like make the carp one light blue.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39