Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77220 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #315 on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:23 am »

For anyone that uploads gifs...beefmo....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mostly because ive got one for my avy
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 16, 2009, 09:33:28 am »

Solution: don't use photobucket, use Tinypic.

<-- like I did for my GIF avatar

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2009, 11:05:40 am »

I don't remember who started it (Org? Yanlin? Someone else?), but it began on Various Nonsense, since locked down. I don't really understand it, either. Btw, does DF even have penguins?
It started with me and some others asking Inaluct to make a penguin.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2009, 12:20:24 pm »

Got about 2-3 more job sprites to do till its onto human nobles! WHEEE!

To Hungry: Photobucket accepts my gifs just fine O_O no idea why its giving you trouble :(

To Sepis: I'll download the mayday pack and try to chuck in my gobbo's this morning and see how it goes.. havent had a chance to PLAY DF in ages.. i miss meh dorfs!

(Edit)

To Sepis: I just noticed that my goblin text has goblins.bmp in it and since the 40d11 can use png, mebe you saved the goblin sheet as the png it is and didnt convert it to bmp to go with the text? either that or change the "goblings.bmp" line to "goblins.png" ?   But I'll go on with my test anyways!

(Edit)

Ok, theyre all borked..... Ive got my brand new propperly layed out sheets all ready so ill just whip up a text file for them today and post those.. hopefully they'll work better :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:32:52 pm by Beefmo »

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2009, 02:44:59 pm »

Yeah, that's the strange part; while the dwarf tiles (as PNG) work perfectly with the text in the OP (changed of course for png) everything is working, but with the gobbos (again, PNG across the board) the sheet doesn't seem to work at all.  Go figure.

Regardless, once it all works, it will be definitely worth it.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2009, 03:53:06 pm »

Still writing up the text for the new layed out sheets and not having much luck as of yet.... Still going at it though so HOPEFULLY i'll find what i've screwed up and post a friendlier sheet and text soon ><

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2009, 04:10:19 pm »

OK! think i found the culprit..... theres a "graphics_mayday OLD.txt" in the graphics folder that seems to give conflicting info to DF.. so delete that and it SHOULD be good.

ALSO Updated the first post with the new "final" layout for my sheets and their corresponding txt files!

Hope that fixes it up for you!

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 16, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »

The new pngs and tile instructions work like a charm.  I deleted the mayday_old just in case.

Now I can properly enjoy torturing my goblin prisoners from siege number 1.

Edit: Hey, Mike, if you're still watching this thread actively too, I've got a question.  In your tileset, are granite doors supposed to be solid black on a white background?  it's one of the things I've noticed that's a bit unfortunate, as it completely wipes the aesthetic of the door.  Also, do doors not adopt the color of their parent material?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:50:43 pm by Sepis »

LongBeardBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2009, 08:33:46 pm »

This set is looking sharp, and I wanted to give a shoutout to Beefmo. I can't wait to see the elves and orcs at their finest. As far as the humans go, the eastern look is sweet. Be even better if we just made them evil.  ;)

For some reason though, when I downloaded the update mayday package on the first page of this thread, and created multiple worlds, goblins are ------- as my neighbors. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything, because I deleted the mayday_old in the graphics and looked to see if all graphics are png.

I'd like to use the gobbos and dwarves in new games. Am I forgetting something?

Cheers!

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2009, 08:38:30 pm »

That just means they're at war with chu.

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2009, 11:42:01 pm »

Something odd happened with the goblins; the military ones I captured look right, but the snatcher that came this season is a dark grey skeleton.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:24 am »

Just upgraded to this tileset thanks to mayday and while I like the dorfs overall I find myself constantly pausing and squinting at 1600x1200 to guess at what it is I'm looking at. Your dorfs have amazing detail and diversity but even though they're the same size as the old mayday's the lack of any immediately recognizable feature makes distinguishing many of them difficult.

For example take the dude holding the big emerald. I see him and i know what he's up to immediately. Guy with the anvil? obvious too. Same for a few others. But then you have guys like the miner where they could've been made a lot easier to spot, have the guy holding the pick up like he's gonna swing it or something and make its size somewhat exaggerated. Same thing with the soldiers, I didn't even recognize some of them and the legendary ones stick out a good bit less than the old stuff.

Mostly it's a matter of size i think. At 1600x1200 these guys are pretty small and some of their distinguishing features can really be lost easily compared to the straight colorcoded enormous chibi-heads.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2009, 07:26:23 am »

Yeah I was getting some problems recon'n my dwarves by site with the vinilla graphics....I overcame with color codeing the clothes of the dwarves and such as opposed to giving them big ovious anvils....

And thanks...=P  this is my gif...I got more but I liked this one...cause the flaming armok priest didn't fit my style...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:29:10 am by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2009, 07:41:32 am »

If you insist on using giant resolutions, there are better graphics sets.  Beefmo is trying to make his set unique, and a dwarf with a big pick has been done.  More than once.  Perhaps you will get more used to it as time goes on?

Also, you can always edit your own graphics to suit your tastes in paint or some equivalent program.  I've done it before with goblin fortress.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:44:14 am by madrain »

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:55 am »

Mah intraweb decided to crap out on my comp a few days ago so no updates! O_O

But good news is that i managed to finish the human sheet and text file! So theyre added to the first post for anyone who likes this style :P I'll prolly get started on the "normal" humans tomorrow if the little one isnt sick like she was all day today ><

To LongBeardBob: Glad you likey! And yeah, the red ----- just means theyre at war with you like dotorz said :P

To Sepis: Sorry I kinda missed the thief tags in the text file >< so add these into the goblin entry if you haven't figured it out by now :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To Shadowex3: I kinda went as far down the colour coding path as i was happy with, i was trying to stay away from the ORANGE DWARF = WOOD GUY! and go towards a more... organic look to it. So you get your little dwarf fortress with the little buggers running around with stones and axes and fishing poles and whatnot. Guess it was the decision I made when i started out with this. But on the good note, theyres only like 2-3 colours shades max on each of the dwarves clothing.. so thats easy enough to colour change if you wish.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39