Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77210 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #270 on: May 11, 2009, 03:18:34 am »

I'm sorry, but I'm totally not digging the human military. And what're those mushroom heads on the mason, carpenter and engraver?
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 11, 2009, 03:43:34 am »

I would agree about the color coded beard being lame, I was just suggesting greater variation.

But the problem is the same:  Urist McSoapmaker arrives with a blonde beard, earns himself a black beard while training on the pumps, and ends up with a red beard once he becomes an axedwarf.  I don't know about anyone else, but that totally annoys me.  It's not the variation, it's that it changes based on job because of the current limitations.

I'd love if sprites could someday reflect individual hair color based on information within the game, though.  Someday.. ah, to dream..

I'm sorry, but I'm totally not digging the human military. And what're those mushroom heads on the mason, carpenter and engraver?

While I love the human military, I'm wondering about the puffy hats myself.  Are they supposed to be turbans?  The animal trainer and trapper though, I love.  The bowyer makes me laugh a little, for some reason.

All in all I think maybe you should try to splash a little more color on these civilians.  All the brown with their brown skin just seems a little much.  The predominately white ones (and the bowyer) stand out just fine.

God, I love that miner, too.  Looks like he's taking a break, or admiring his handiwork.  Can't wait to see more.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2009, 04:47:01 am »

They look kinda like turbans or poofy bakers hats.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »

I think what he is going for is something like this for the bottom row hats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and this for the top
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:26 pm »

I am not totally in love with the eastern themed humans, but that's because I would rather them be the classic medieval/dark ages Western European Humans. They do look good though, so if that's the way you want to go, I'd support it. The variety never hurts.

One suggestion, try to come up with some type of standardized head gear. They don't need to be cut and paste, but I'm just thinking it may be difficult to tell who is what when units are filling the screen. Dwarves have beards so they all stand out..  gobos are green. I think there needs to be something about humans that makes them easily identifiable as such, and headgear just comes to mind. I'm just thinking this up now and have no evidence of such issues, so take that with a grain of salt.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2009, 10:51:26 pm »

Got COMPLETELY distracted today... started out trying to find out what a beak dog is. I know toady has said is some sort of raptor thing, but I wanted to find out if there was and kind of reference to one in any fantasy thing... couldnt find one.. but it lead me to something called the Montauk monster..

So The Montauk monster which is apparently a dog thing that apparently had a beak that washed onshore somewhere new newyork (?). Even though it totally looked like a bloated racoon with the front of its face decayed off.... ANYWAYS! somehow from there I made my way to finding out that you americans have your very own "Voice of london" from V for Vendetta!... Something O'brien? I think his name was....

Long story short I found out many things today including that Obama is yet another pawn in the new world order!

I'm sorry people aren't digging my humans. I dont know what to do. Grand traders dealing in ocean and river goods dont really seem to fit the typical medieval mood for me, just as the "Merchant Prince" titles dont seem to fit either.. especially if we're talking the 1400 setting that this is supposedly meant to be.

Doing a google search for 13th century peasant wear pretty much only brought up images of head wraps and loose hats, as well as some oddities like a medieval farmer wearing what looked like one of those asian broad rimmed straw hat thingies. I mean I'm not trying to make my humans into the persians or anything for that matter. I'm trying to make them theyre own culture from the information that DF has given me...

But I'll just be messing around with other sprites in the meantime and put the rest of the humans on hold for now.

I REALLY would appreciate some more feedback on humans so I can see what the majority of people would like to see.

GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS! :P

(Edit)
To Raz: I'll wait for more comments on my military "hopefully" from some people that haven't posted yet, but if everyone wants a standard medieval human society.. that is what they shall get!... Hell.. might even do two since this ones almost done ><

OH! And Bloogonis was pretty much spot on with those pics, although the first is meant to be more of just a simple cap thing :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:08:00 pm by Beefmo »

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2009, 11:02:02 pm »

Is there any chance you would create a quick human military with that first mockup of them you made? If not, would you mind if I used them?
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2009, 11:23:27 pm »

My thoughts for these sprites can only be summed up by one word.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPphDSc6ZEE

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2009, 01:22:49 am »

I am dismayed by the loss of your clean-cut black delineation lines between surfaces on the humans.  I think the main reason that your dwarfs and goblins look so good is because you somehow managed to make room for the definite line demarcating what was what in the images.  When that line is gone, the clothes blend into the skin almost no matter what color they are.  Well, to be fair, you did add it back for the non-military humans.

If you're looking for some sort of unifying theme for the humans, I've always thought that the length and billowy-nature of Arabic clothing was more distinctive than their headdress.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:34 am »

There are always going to be people who just want the plain vanilla fantasy tropes, I guess.  Completely uninteresting to me, but I understand it.  Perhaps if you do decide to do two sets of humans, you can just recolor the "plain" humans with blonde hair and green clothes and then they also have their vanilla boring elves.

In the meantime, please continue your alternate elves!  They rock so hard.

I like the look of the humans so far.  I can always edit the color however I want later, but the basic model and stuff is just great imo.  I sort of agree with LumenPlacidum that the cut of the wardrobe is more distinctive than the headwear in arabian style humans, so you could think of doing all the humans bald, maybe, as if they ritualistically shave their heads?  Perhaps a more egyptian feel might work too, with lots of bare chests and knee length white skirts?

Alternately, you might try to find some sort of viking (or germanic?) look rather than standard english peasant mixed with fantasy knight.  I don't think I've seen a set yet that reminded me of vikings.. it might be too hard, or look too much like dwarves.  Just brainstorming since I think it'd be a shame for you to lose your enthusiasm for these wonderful sprites.

I definitely like the asian feel of the ones you've been working on though.  I'm sorry I'm not more helpful.  :/

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2009, 09:05:50 am »

I guess I'll partially echo the thoughts above.  I think de-emphasizing the turbans (and maybe going for a different style for them) and replacing the coveralls with robes might make the human workers feel a bit more in line with your theme.  For the military, I just think the red masks bleed into the sashes/tunics/tabards/whatevers.  Maybe cloth/leather coifs/hoods for non-elites, and chain ones for the elites, and leave the coloration just for the sashes/tunics/tabards/whatevers?

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:41 am »

Im really liking all of these, but if you do feel in going in a medieval direction I would still finish these near-east type humans, to give some variety or possibly another race ingame. Unless of course its too much work to do two human factions which is fair enough.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2009, 09:39:01 am »

I personally love the military pretty much as it is.

Im really liking all of these, but if you do feel in going in a medieval direction I would still finish these near-east type humans, to give some variety or possibly another race ingame.

Yeah, I'd definitely want these to mod in another race if so, possibly desert dwelling humans with a totally different set of ethics.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:31 am »

I saw you mention the 'merchant prince' in relation to the humans and started thinking about renaissance-era Italy.  It's a little more advanced than DF would suggest, but I think they would be distinct and fit in closely with your current military units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medici for inspiration; check out the notable members page.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:44 am »

Its my first post in this thread, so I must say I admire your good work.

I like eastern themed humans.
Dwarves are already one of most "europe-medieval"-themed races so I'd love variety those human sprites give.

(Add some indian-like elves, chineese kobolds, eskimo-troglodytes and we have almost every theme included :P oh, and space orcs.)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 39