Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77190 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #210 on: May 07, 2009, 06:16:08 pm »

Beefmo, may I suggest a slightly different arrangement of the sprites?
I used:
special characters
military
civilians

This way you can keep adding more and more civilians without running out of place or causing a mess.

The military are as follows: (each has two rows, normal and elite):
soldiers
guards
royalguards
skeletons
zombies
adventurers

So even is some part isn't done, it's best to leave 12 rows for the military. It's obviously best to have the same sprites for each race placed in the same spot.
<3

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 07, 2009, 06:47:00 pm »

So.... my girlfriends daughter decided to go missing ><

After a good couple hours of searching finally found playing at a neighbors house without telling anyone... So after I de-stress a little its back to work! I'll reply and all after i get a chance to relax :P

(Edit)

Ok, so my idea of chain smoking 3 cigarettes in a row has got my hands steady again! And i just realised something... my little tree elf gif thing would be amazing for a possesed dwarf animation! (God i want animated sprites :P)

So all in all, im getting the feeling that most people are cool with the change for elves? I'll screw around with it some more and see what I can come up with.

To Mike Mayday: Thanks for the 40d11 update! And ill take your suggestion and lay out my sheets as such. The problem is that I really dont know what jobs i can make... I cant find any REAL documentation on what is supported for the txt files.... i mean i only found the zombie tag from searching through other peoples packs and the jobs I just scroll through the entity files for... Are there adventure mode sprites missing? If anyone can give me a list of what i need to make, I'm more than happy to fill in the blanks :P

And thanks again for all the support everyone!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:21:25 pm by Beefmo »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »

i hope you don't take too many liberties with the elves, they do have historic imagery involved and its never good to stomp on the folk lore you are trying to emulate.

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:30 pm »

Can you guys test this:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/DFG17.zip

Dwarfs implemented. Those who had problems with adding stuff before, should try adding goblins for example and see if it works.

Trying it out now, and for kicks, with a custom grid to try and bump it to 1680x1050.  I'll let you know how it works.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2009, 12:29:14 am »

Lol my king just showed up disguised as a peasant, first time getting that with a graphics pack. so he cant realy hide, The king sprite looks good.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2009, 03:20:20 am »

To Beefmo: Here you are, you magnificent bastard you:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<3

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2009, 07:46:19 am »

Great graphics, These made me start a goblin tower ((the first was just overrun by a human siege a few minutes ago, Started weapon production and military tolate >.<)) gonna start a new one now:)

at some point I missed a "trader" sprite so I made one. Ill post it here incase you want to use it.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2009, 08:39:39 am »

Kinda crashed super early... but the good side of that is that I`m UP super early too!

To Mike Mayday: WEWT! THANKS! So I`m going to assume the adventurer texture applies to military skills? Correct me if I`m wrong. AND! I can do sprites for trained animals!?! Never knew that! But theres still ones that lose me like the merchant baron and merchant prince... human leaders? and going to assume druid is the elf leader?

To Talvara: Ooooh! Goblin fortress! care to tell me what nobles you get, If any or all so I can whip them up? So trader is on the list now!

(Edit)

Still fucking around with possible armours.... I dont know... seeing that MERCHANT_PRINCE tag kinda got my brain ticking and thinking the usual medieval style would`nt cut it.....

Anyways! Heres some more mock ups and an orc I tried just for the hell of it :P

Waiting for confirmation if the ADVENTURER tag is what I think it is before I start whipping up dwarven and goblin adventurers.

OH! And helmets thanks to Kivish!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:27:12 am by Beefmo »

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2009, 09:37:41 am »

For whatever reason, the bottom right human seems appropriate for spears/polearms, the bottom left for ranged weapons, and the top left, with some helmet modification, for more up-close-and-personal weapons.  Maybe opt for a chain coif/hood for archers instead of a rigid helm?

As for the orc, there is potential.  Maybe a non-green variety to help keep them distinct from goblins?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:51 am »

The orc sprite fits a troll perfectly for my taste. You need to whip up a skeletal version :) (I happen to have just embarked in a haunted area with a rift, lots of skeletons I've never seen before).

And now... TAGS!!!

The leader is a site tag- which means that one dude (who may be eg. a fisherdude at the same time) will be a leader of a given site. As explained, the "site tags" replace the normal proffesions in terms of graphics. This causes problems, cause when the king arrives, he becomes the leader of your fortress- so if you're using the leader sprite, he will look like a LEADER, not like a KING.

The druid is a function specific to the elves (so you only need to make an elven druid)- it is not a site tag.
Likewise, merchant barons and merchant princes are only human (they take the roles of diplomats when your fortress gets bigger).
You can make sprites for trained animals, but currently you can only train dogs (so you make a sprite for a war dog and a hunting dog).
Adventurer sprites are used to represent your character in the Adventurer mode- so yes, we need one for every weapon.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:16:06 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:39 am »

Thanks for the info!

But I have yet MORE questions..... What do people envisage their adventurers to look like? I was kinda thinking the rag-tag kinda wears what you find kinda look hence my little fallout wanderer looking dwarf adventurer here. But Im looking for idea`s on that path!

Soooo.... Possible dwarven adventurer -> Possbile goblin adventurer -> And this is what i kinda had in mind for trolls... more of a steamroller look to him :P

(Edit)
And just for the record... making a lumberjack shirt is hard ><

(Edit)
Just messing around with human jobs in the meantime, and tweaked the human base model more to my liking.

New base -> Woodcutter -> Carpenter

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:49:35 pm by Beefmo »

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:26 pm »

Hey, loving the new humans, I like how you have added some contrast in the soldiers using the red, also the light helm on the lower right soldier is really good, I tried to achieve somthing like this but I couldnt get the right look.

The new base looks better and the jobs are looking great!

I think the orcs could have slightly smaller muscles and a darker green. The goblin adventurer looks great, but for me the metal shoulder pads dont work with the lumberjack costume. Troll looks great to :)!

As always an amzing job!

Edit: Some more test:

Ive edited the spear to look different from the dwarves, perhaps the humans could have different styled weapons since they live above ground? Also tried some more large helms, its hard to achieve a half decent looking great helm on such a small scale :P.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:06:07 pm by Kivish Zokun »

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2009, 01:20:36 pm »

Got distracted of sorts.....

Skeletal troll! -> Ummmm........ fallout dwarf......

To Kivish: Those helms along the bottom look pretty fantastic to me, but I`m kinda in the mood to give the humans a unique style so they`re not a-typical medieval humans... but if that idea gets shot down too much, I believe your helms may be making it into fortress and royal guard! (Honestly... LOVE that second one.. personally I find drawing the helms the most fun! :P)

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »

Ah ok fair enough, glad I can help!

That skeletal troll is fantastic!
Hehe fallout dwarf is pretty damn good too!

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »

Keep messing around with helmets imo! Because those are pretty sweet.. and like I said.. my non typical medieval human idea will probably not go down so well especially since im already making a divergence with the elves :P

(Edit)
I agree with you about the spear btw, I`ve been mocking up possible human weapons while I`ve been messing around... Firstly i was going down the normal medieval human path... then the discovery of the merchant prince kinda put me in a persian mindset.... But then the whole human fish trade kinda gave me an idea of a restyle combination thing of the two.... Honestly I dont know what path to take them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:33:14 pm by Beefmo »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39