Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Death tunnel project.  (Read 1746 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death tunnel project.
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:41:58 am »

Before I try this I want to know if it's feasible. Basically I have an idea for a prison that deliberately starve nobles or bad dwarves even though food and drink are present. This is done by digging a MASSIVE spiral or crisscrossing tunnel, with the dwarf at one end and sustenance at the other. Have the dwarf end accessible via door which you would then lock after he's inside. This tunnel would need to be so long that on the dwarves very long journey to reach this food and beverage, he keels over and dies from thirst or hunger.

Is it possible to build a tunnel this long?

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
Re: Death tunnel project.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:47:07 am »

it's possible, but it would have to be huge. Probably needs to be a couple levels of nothing but back and forth across the map... maybe...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:48:30 am »

it is possible (its DF what do you think)

just make it spiral up over the map into the skies then dive underground and bla bla bla bla.

there is a FEW things that is not possible in DF but most things are and this one is.

good luck on it,

Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:08 am »

It will take a few months for a dwarf to die of starvation or dehydration, so the tunnel is going to have to be really long.  On the plus side, they'll become hungry and thirsty in fairly short order and start moving more slowly.

I think you could probably make this work.  Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:02 am »

Would it be feasible to put some pressure-plate triggered floodgates or something, forcing the dwarf to wait a few seconds while the gate goes up?  Or would they simply not try to path to/through the clsoed gate?

Alternately, give them a very short, direct route which is trapped with plate-triggered doors.. every time they get close, it slams shut and forces them to reroute... ;)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:43 am »

It would be even better if the long path to food/water lead straight above a huge saltwater lake, or even better than that if the entire pathway was flooded with [3/7] salt water. (Dead by dehydration in an ocean)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »

It should be possible but god knows how big it'll have to be.  I suggest balling all the zigzags up into a cubelike shape to keep it compact.  I suggest making the entrance and exit side-by-side shafts into the center of the cube.  Bonus points if you end up with berserk tax collectors lurking inside to ambush their successors.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »

Will this be dug out? Or will it be entirely aboveground? Because you're going to have some issues when it's dug out. Namely, dehydrated and starved miners. Seeing this is what it was intended for.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »

Remember to make it vermin proof.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »

Will this be dug out? Or will it be entirely aboveground? Because you're going to have some issues when it's dug out. Namely, dehydrated and starved miners. Seeing this is what it was intended for.
worldspawn could build access points from above/below and just seal them up later.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

I want to try this now... Hmm...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:14:09 pm »

keep your miners(and mechanics) happy- dig a staircase UP from one point, then simply floor over the exit when done. this creates a simple solution, and if you need to rescue an idiot dwarf, they can let themselves out when you mark the construction for removal. and it wont eat pathfinding resources like an open but locked door will.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:40 pm »

see, now I'm inspired to make a dethmaze ("a" purposely omitted) and see how long I can keep a hapless gobbo running in circles by closing trapped doors every time he gets within sight of an exit...

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:26:18 pm »

Would it be feasible to put some pressure-plate triggered floodgates or something, forcing the dwarf to wait a few seconds while the gate goes up?  Or would they simply not try to path to/through the clsoed gate?

Alternately, give them a very short, direct route which is trapped with plate-triggered doors.. every time they get close, it slams shut and forces them to reroute... ;)

Wouldn't path.

The second one would work if I'm thinking what you're thinking. When they're heading forward, they trigger a plate, which then shuts dozens of floodgates in a horizontal row, making the dwarf walk around the long wall of floodgates.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 06:51:48 pm »

Except pressure plates open floodgates.

Someone posted an "infinite goblin loop" not long ago around the same principle. The basic idea is this:

Code: [Select]
Xy___________xY
Where X and Y are doors providing access to food/drink/etc, x and y are pressure plates controlling the doors, and _ is floor. Lengthen or reshape the hallway as needed.

Logic:
-Dwarf is dropped from upper Z-level and lands on x.
-X opens, and Dwarf attempts to path through it.
-Dwarf steps off x, closing the door, but keeps his path, until he runs into an obstacle i.e. the now-closed X.
-At this point, Dwarf is now standing on y, creating a path through Y.
-Dwarf follows path though Y, stepping off y...
-*loop*

Warning: this will create a lot of "could not find path" message spam, so you'll probably want a big hallway.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.
Pages: [1] 2