Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trader/hunter problem...  (Read 1088 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Trader/hunter problem...
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:29:18 am »

1.Hi.

2.So,im not really new to dwarf fortress but am learning very slowly.So today i learned how to trade and got a trader for the first time.The problem is he was a hunter and now he doesnt hunt.Are traders nobles?Can i make him hunt again?If i cant what should i do?My starting 7 wont live long on vermin and that 1 piece of (modded in.I think...) wild turkey meat.

Thank you.

Edit:Ive checked,traders arent nobles because i can draft him into the army.But why doesnt he work
Edit2:Ok,i tryed checking if theres a problem with his equipment.I made him drop his things and hunt via wrestling.He didnt hunt.I then experimented,making him unload his final 5 bolts on a fox.I then un-drafted him,he becomes a trader instead of a crossbowman,gets more bolts,fills his waterskin aaaaand...does nothing.Now i made him make bone bolts and he did it.It seems he only refuses to hunt.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:07:00 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Trader/hunter problem...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:14 am »

bumpedit
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:56:17 am »

Far as I know, your broker's a Useful Noble, one of the ones that does actual work in addition to their noble duties.
However, I use the strategy of giving the broker position to the mayor and sheriff, and giving the guy one specific job to do. In my current fort, he's a bone/stonecrafter who also does some food hauling when he gets idle. In previous forts, the job has been a miller, and a mason.
An active job like hunting is a bad idea for the broker. It's dangerous, and he's likely to be wandering around outside when he should be trading. The Dwarven Work Ethic is terrible about that.

If you insist on making him hunt, check to see if it's an enabled labour. v-p-l, scroll down to Hunting.

If you're having trouble keeping food around, set up a farm. The wiki's got good advice on that.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:53 am »

Thats the problem.I INSIST him to hunt :P but he doesnt.I triple-checked his labours.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:12:40 am »

Hunting is a task that dwarves will do to the exclusion of all else, so if he has the labor enabled, he will usually be hunting. However, if there's no wildlife on the map, he will not hunt.

Just to be sure, you have him as an undrafted civilian with the hunting labor activated, correct? There is also live (not undead) wildlife on your map? Furthermore, he's also not on break?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:36 am »

No break.map full of mountain goats.

Anyway i tryed to make another guy hunt but he refused.So now im eating fish and both of my miners died from starvation.Where are you migrant wave?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:33:54 am »

Btw can i cannibalise the miners?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:42:26 am »

Water froze,i lost.The ironic thing is...this is my best fort -_-

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »

Uh, start a farm, grow some plump helmets? O_o

Your fortress won't survive very long on meat alone, eventually all the animals will be gone and you won't have anything left to hunt, just vermin left to fish.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:57:26 pm »

You can't eat humanoids without modding. I'm tempted to figure out a way of doing that, so I can cook goblins.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:10:05 pm »

1.Hi.

2.So,im not really new to dwarf fortress but am learning very slowly.So today i learned how to trade and got a trader for the first time.The problem is he was a hunter and now he doesnt hunt...

1) Heya!

2) Any chance you neglected to unclick "Trader requested at Trade Depot"?  (<q>, one of the options at the TD).  If he's hanging out there exclusively, that's pro'ly it.

Since you're sure Hunting is activated, try Activating him to the military, then back out.  Sometimes that "clears" a stuck dorf.

Did you somehow seal the entrance to your fortress?  A drawbridge that won't let the dorfs find a path out?  Did you hit <o, i> and keep all dorfs inside?  Anyone else going outside? Is woodcutting working? Can you post military outside?

Anyway i tryed to make another guy hunt but he refused.

Two of them?  This should work - it's either an unknown, random glitch or you're doing something wrong. 

So now im eating fish and both of my miners died from starvation.Where are you migrant wave?

That's an oversight.  When you see the " ! " flashing on a dwarf, you need to stop and address that.  Letting them die is quitting.

Did you have no Underground/above ground farms? Try mass Plant Gathering. (Be sure to <d>esignate some plants to gather.)  Once the hungry dwarfs eat that up, you'll have seeds to plant in above ground farm plots. <b,p> Doesn't take many tiles of farrm/dwarf to keep them full o' vegies.

There are 5 distinct sources of food for a fortress - hunting, fishing, underground vegies, above ground vegies, and trading.  ~All~ of these should be covered at some level to ensure you don't find yourself where you are now.

Immigrants will show up in the 1st Winter or 2nd Spring, ~if~ 1) the caravan was amply impressed with your wealth, 2) made it out alive, and 3) you don't have too many deaths in your fortress.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:22:07 pm »

You can't eat humanoids without modding. I'm tempted to figure out a way of doing that, so I can cook goblins.

Elf.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:04:31 pm »

Elf.

How DARE you? An ELF? I'm not proposing to eat them RAW, you know. Just cook them up with a little cat meat, camel tallow, and some quarry bush leaves.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:59:59 am »

Eating elf or gobbo isn't cannibalism.  Unless you are one. 

+Elf Biscuits+, anyone? 

Actually I prefer !!≡Elf Brain Roast≡!!
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:28:28 am »

I did all that was mentioned.Nothing worked.
Pages: [1] 2