Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with a pile of dwarves?  (Read 780 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with a pile of dwarves?
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:44:36 am »

Ok, I'm running a somewhat successful fort at the moment. It's part of a project I have to make a water slide, but the fort is pretty self sustained. I have no military and plan to defend the fort with elaborate traps (though currently I'm just using some cage traps for waterslide test subjects).

I just got an 18 migrant wave. I can't think of anything I need them to do, half of my haulers are idle until a craftsdwarf makes something and I have about 10 dwarves on stone detailing duties. What could I do with them?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a pile of dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:47:24 am »

The great WAGMA slide.
First there is water and then suddenly there is magma. Fun.

More seriously though just let them chop the map clean and create tons of booze, those are always good things to do.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:47:45 am »

Soylent Green.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:59:29 am »

I'm actually going to get them to gather all the plants I can. I annoyed the dwarven caravan so they didn't trade with me. Now I'm low on booze so they've all got a nice job.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:23 am »

or make some more items... glass-industry can be enough for 15-20 guys easily

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:03:26 am »

Yeah I was planning on going into glass after they're done getting plants. Speak of the devil a new bunch of migrants arrived. Also, I have a question: will fish kill goblings/kobolds/everything? I've got a number of small pools complete with some serious amounts of fish. I've already seen the rip apart a few foxes and a werewolf, could I use them as an execution method?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:15:09 am »

I tend to enlist them. Having a big military is always a good thing...well maybe it's not so important in the vanilla game, since it's quite easy, but I am playing with a heavily modified DF, so even goblin sieges are quite dangerous. [..especially since I don't use traps and defense mechanisms at all.] :)