Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water Question  (Read 1501 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Question
« on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:42 am »

I'll be the first to say I haven't been keeping up on Toady's To-Do list concerning DF, so I have a question.

Does he plan to make the water measurement system more complex? I can't imagine the 7 unit system staying if the liquid system evolves.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:53:17 am »

I can because it keeps calculation low. Dynamic (3d) water is one of the hardest things to possibly do in any Video game.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:10 am »

Well, even if the system were doubled to a 14 unit system, that would make it alot more in-depth for me.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:22 am »

Can you explain how having water depth sliced into 14 rather than 7 would be better?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:23 am »

I'm just a detail whore, never mind me.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:31:58 am »

In depth, i see what you did there

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »

I can because it keeps calculation low. Dynamic (3d) water is one of the hardest things to possibly do in any Video game.
I think he means increase the resolution of the water level. Regardless increasing the resolution likely wouldn't cause a speed decrease until you went above 32-bits.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:15 pm »

Well, even if the system were doubled to a 14 unit system, that would make it alot more in-depth for me.

'Twould be a 15 unit system, or a 10 unit system with 5 status bits (Murky, etc).
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:28:03 pm »

Haha.

Low calculation.

DF isn't 3d. It's 2d pretending to be 3d but it's not nearly as complicated as trying to simulate water movement in a full 3d environment.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:51:29 am »

Only thing I want done to water is it to act more water like and an actual pressure system. So I don't have to use some masterful construction to have a fountain of gloriousness.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:53 am »

Water depth is held in 3 bits, if a 4th bit was given over to water maximum depth would be but 15 I personally don't see much additional advantage to it as the current system is easy enough to remember and keep in your head and I can't think of any useful differences that would come from dividing water int 6 inch depth slices as opposed to 1 foot increments.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:49:58 am by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:47:19 am »

'Twould be a 15 unit system, or a 10 unit system with 5 status bits (Murky, etc).

This bit would be good. :)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:22:38 am »

TLDR Explanation:

The problem with giving water more bits is that right now, ALL tile information is stored in a single 32-bit variable. Adding more data to anything would require rewriting a LOT of code needed to micromanage bits like that, not to mention likely doubling the memory requirements of the game.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »

Haha.

Low calculation.

DF isn't 3d. It's 2d pretending to be 3d but it's not nearly as complicated as trying to simulate water movement in a full 3d environment.

Nnnnnno, it's 3d.  It's a VERY granular 3d.  Individual tiles have height so there's some 2d elements, but when you consider pressure and stuff, it's definately a very hacky 3d.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:41 pm »

The key question that need answering is...

Why?
With just 7-levels, we already get a pretty good system.
1 evaporates.
2 reaches the ankle.
4 you can drown in.
7 is full.
Any finer then that currently won't add much to the game, other then increasing the number of bits needed to track each tile.

One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: [1] 2