Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a dwarf release an artifact mace  (Read 1218 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a dwarf release an artifact mace
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:06 am »

One of my military dwarves accidentally took an artifact pig iron mace instead of a proper training silver one and is now holding it in his left hand (and the shield is in the right hand). No matter what I do (switch him to another weapon or order to fight unarmed) he is still clutching the mace and refusing to drop it.

So the question is: how do I make him release the mace and switch him to another weapon? He cannot train properly right now since he's a real danger to his sparring partners, and I don't like the idea of leaving the artifact mace in the eternal posession of an undertrained soldier.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Making a dwarf release an artifact mace
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:32:23 am »

Try dumping it.

If everything else fails, you can always kill the dwarf and retrieve mace.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:40:01 am »

You'll need to knock that dwarf out, via cave in. Then dump the mace. This is why I forbid artifacts, BTW.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:46:36 am »

i don't think you can designate artifacts for dumping.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:51:12 am »

One of my military dwarves accidentally took an artifact pig iron mace instead of a proper training silver one and is now holding it in his left hand (and the shield is in the right hand). No matter what I do (switch him to another weapon or order to fight unarmed) he is still clutching the mace and refusing to drop it.

So the question is: how do I make him release the mace and switch him to another weapon? He cannot train properly right now since he's a real danger to his sparring partners, and I don't like the idea of leaving the artifact mace in the eternal posession of an undertrained soldier.

Send him out to fight wildlife instead, until he's good enough not to murder everybody else.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:26:51 am »

Typically, only elite soldiers grab artifact weapons.  If he isn't elite, it is probably a bug that he grabbed it in the first place, but the not dropping thing is pretty common, though in my fort that produced the most artifact weapons I was able to get soldiers to drop the artifacts for quite a while.

Fighting wild-life is probably your best bet.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:22 am »

I tried dumping and forbidding and everything to no result.

The guy is a champion wresler. But he's got zero skill at maces. I was planning to issue him a silver one for training but forgot to forbid the artifact. Now he's acting as the Captain of the Guard.

Hunting wildlife is an option, I do have an underground river after all and some goblins in cages.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:05:48 am »

If you want it back badly enough, you can try injuring him and hope his left arm gets broken. A drop of a few z-levels should accomplish this. If you do this, you should probably forbid it in his hands so he doesn't pick it up with his right hand.

Otherwise, enjoy your champion wrestler with an artifact mace.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »

Just keep him in his own seperate squad and have him outside guarding. Like Mayday said, the wild-life is your best bet. Though by wild-life I assume he means happless goblins and kobolds who think they can pass a guy with a shiny pig iron mace.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

He has his shield in his right hand because it is the first thing he picked up, i believe. Doesn't really matter all that much, but gennerally the only right handed dwarves in my millitary are woodcutters, miners, hunters, and marksdwarves who were already carrying their weapons.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:40:53 am »

When I had the problem, I got the following suggestion:
Guy in a closed room, fortifications, other small room. Produce a cave in in the small room.
This will knock your dwarf out, dropping his weapon. You can then retrieve it.

Also, my plan for training up spear-dwarfs is by letting them fight gobbos in my arena ^^ ( same problem, as instakills are imminent )

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »

Cave-in dust doesn't make dwarves drop their equipment.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »

I'm just going to echo the "kill wildlife" sentiment. It's a great idea.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »

Cave-in dust doesn't make dwarves drop their equipment.
Maybe it also involved forbidding it, while he was unconscious... I never tried it, but only quoted :)