Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Injured dorfs in Hammerer's bed  (Read 2643 times)

malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured dorfs in Hammerer's bed
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:08:36 am »

The Hammerer just showed up to my fortress, and I had his rooms all ready for him. I go to assign them to him, and I notice that there's an injured dorf (beaten up by fortress guard because I forgot about building jails...) in the bed.
Will the Hammerer now kill him because he's sleeping in the wrong bed, or will he take care of Urist McHurt until he's healthy enough to return to his normal, law-breaking tendencies and THEN kill him?

Anyone want to place any bets?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injured dorfs in Hammerer's bed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:16:22 am »

He'll probably ignore him but get pissy about not being able to sleep in a proper bedroom.

Deconstruct the bed out from under the cripple, then build a new one and designate the room from that. They should haul the cripple to a new bed soon enough.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:37:12 am »

Leave the bed there, and see what happens. From memory if the bed is assigned, the assignee will sleep there irrespective of other occupants.

edit; spelling.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:15:27 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 07:02:34 am »

Leave the bed there, and see what happens. From memory if the bed is assigned, the assignee will sleep there irrespective of other occupents.

So the Hammerer will use the injured Dwarf as a pillow?

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:33:27 am »

Yeah, that sounds like the Hammerer alright.
Will he use the Hammer to fluff up his pillow?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:54 am »

Yeah, that sounds like the Hammerer alright.
Will he use the Hammer to fluff up his pillow?
The Hammerer only knows one thing: Hammering :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:23 am »

In a world gone mad, there is only one law; his!

I always wanted to say something like that.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:34 am »

The solution? Magma. Flood the room with it, kill both the offender and the hammerer.

Remember: No nobles means no mandates, no mandates mean no idiotic demands, no idiotic demands means no failed mandates or broken export bans, and that means no hammerings-to-death, starving to death in jail, or injury-inducing beatings.

Kill your nobles: It's good for the fort.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:32 am »

The Hammerer just showed up to my fortress, and I had his rooms all ready for him. I go to assign them to him, and I notice that there's an injured dorf (beaten up by fortress guard because I forgot about building jails...) in the bed.

Offhand, I'd free the bed that the injured dwarf is in, build a new bed and make that the room center, then assign the new room to the hammerer.

He'll just have to share until Urist McBruised is better.  This may take a while, but at least dwarves don't snore.

I don't think the Hammerer will beat up the injured dwarf, though.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:01:00 pm »

Does the Hammerer hammer in his sleep?
"My world!  It is Hammering!"

By the way, should I look into crafting a silver hammer for the Hammerer?  Will it help?

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:58 pm »

By the way, should I look into crafting a silver hammer for the Hammerer?  Will it help?

In theory it should decrease the hammer's blow by 50% but it's probably easier to just put the victim in some steel plate mail, as oyu can always reuse the platemail during a siege. However you could also use the silver hammer to train your recruits in hammerring.

If you want to minize damage, just do both.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:57:12 pm »

i think 'hammering' should be made into its own sphere.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »

Perhaps a hammerer for POW goblins would be good?  Or how about a hammerer who hammers anyone you tell him to - may be useful for those whiny nobles...

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:01:11 pm »

Not if his name is Maxwell.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »

Will the Hammerer now kill him because he's sleeping in the wrong bed, or will he take care of Urist McHurt until he's healthy enough to return to his normal, law-breaking tendencies and THEN kill him?

Anyone want to place any bets?

Misery suddenly sprang into my mind just now. Has the Hammerer broken the dwarf's ankles yet?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: [1] 2