Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46

Author Topic: Age of Restoration game discussion (Still one spot open!)  (Read 50693 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration game discussion (Full)
« Reply #570 on: July 05, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »

Sorry for the double post.

I just looked at my new unit thing, one of my bow units became the light cavalry one. So, yeah.
And I gave two of my warriors iron swords and axes, so shouldn't they change too?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 05, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »

OK, a few things. First off, you forgot that I ordered two groups to explore. Also, you are slightly cryptic about the progress on town building. Do I need to research more or is something else in the way?

Last one, what would I expect to gain from researching Medicine?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13:12 pm »

Two turns back, the Jerrans crafted 3 units of jewelery.  1 of those was traded.  What happened to the other two?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24:45 pm »

Sorry for the double post.

I just looked at my new unit thing, one of my bow units became the light cavalry one. So, yeah.
And I gave two of my warriors iron swords and axes, so shouldn't they change too?
I thought you only had two bow units to begin with? When did you make a third? As for the warriors, you're quite right. I fixed that.

OK, a few things. First off, you forgot that I ordered two groups to explore. Also, you are slightly cryptic about the progress on town building. Do I need to research more or is something else in the way?

Last one, what would I expect to gain from researching Medicine?
Oh, right. Let's see here... South your units find nothing but trackless forest. East, following the river, they find the forest thins out to grasslands in the north.
Town building, you're making progress.
Medicine, you don't know; try it and find out.

Two turns back, the Jerrans crafted 3 units of jewelery.  1 of those was traded.  What happened to the other two?
I'm... not sure. I'll fix that.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:21 pm »

I had two, but then one got equiped with horses and spears, so now I'd only have one.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »

I think there might have been another unit stockpiled too, I'm making a quick little excel sheet right now because I am that much of a nerd.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »

I had two, but then one got equiped with horses and spears, so now I'd only have one.
Oh, that's what you mean. Okay, fixed.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2009, 11:03:16 pm »

Looks like the food bonus for the archery camp was ignored for a couple of turns, but other then that I think everything else adds up but the pearls, which should be at 3 right now.

Can I broach the trading issue and ask; is there any profit in trading in this game?  It appears to me right now that it's based on the principle of equivalent exchange: i.e. 3 cloth is worth 2 spices, so they are willing to trade 2 spices for 3 cloths.  But even in today's globalized marketplace, that isn't how trade works, the value of goods changes a lot by area.  And historically, sea going powers were able to strike very, very profitable deals.  So what's the lowdown here.  Am I just not seeing the profit because I'm still doing this on too small a scale?  Or is there no profit in trading?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:11:02 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 05, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

What makes you think two spice is worth three cloth? Spice is rare; clothes can be made pretty much anywhere.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:57 am »

Clothes can be made anywhere, but we are looking at a very limited market here.  In that limited market, there's no one willing to pay a lot for spice.  Therefore while it would be very valuable otherwise, it's dirt cheap right now.  Likewise the value of pearls is lower in Jericho then in the native village or at the Citadel or at Rag'tich, etc.  But look at the value of cloth vs. spices inside the native village.  What's the relative value inside the native village?

more simply...
When the trade happens, comparative advantage kicks in and there's profit for the two sides to split, both Jerrans and natives come out ahead.  But if you look at it historically, the Jerrans are going to enjoy the bulk of these benefits.  In a nutshell this is because Bonnie can cut a deal with anyone in the village while there's only one outside merchant they can trade with.  So Bonnie should be able to make a vastly profitable deal for herself as long as it leaves the villagers even a little better off then no deal at all.

I get waaay too wordy when it's past my bedtime.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:49:52 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 06, 2009, 12:19:10 am »

Go play nationstates would be my recomendation. I'm sure that the exchange rates would change over time, and modeling supply and demand properly is hard (read impossibly, economics is guesswork that claims to be a science and a math).

Do my scouts retain the use of both their bow and their short spear?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:49 am »

I'm not asking for a realistic model, I'm just asking for enormous profits.  ;D

I have put a damn big amount of investment into chasing these profits and am disappointed by the measly size.  :'(

edit: although to be fair, much of my behavior can be attributed to the fact that I was reading grasping reality w/ both hands in the other window...

Also, we don't need to worry about changing exchange rates due to trade because we are all in defacto merchantalism economies.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:39:54 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 06, 2009, 01:14:22 pm »

One more question (my RP is about half done now).

If I make some iron shields this turn, can I get them equipped on a unit that is going into battle right now?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 06, 2009, 02:12:27 pm »

If Vanigo is being consistent, then no. The shields will be ready at the end of the year.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 06, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »

Oh well, I'll do without then.

If zefie saddles involve two zefies per horse, then should my one unit (100 zefies) only use half a unit of horses? This gets confusing fast, doesn't it. Or does a unit of zefie saddlers have 200 zefies and 100 horses?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46