Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46

Author Topic: Age of Restoration game discussion (Still one spot open!)  (Read 50665 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration game discussion (Game is full)
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2009, 12:59:37 am »

Zefie regulars charge with full plate (they're like little armored balls) and pikes. They all carry sidearms (swords generally, although axes are found, as per the soldier's preferences, some might use a second spear).

I'd be happy if it was something like -25 to ranged (which isn't there forte) and +10 to defense.
That's not exactly what I meant. I mean, do they even have limbs, or what?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2009, 01:05:39 am »

No they don't. They still hold two things at a time, but they don't have limbs. Or any discernable features or organs. They're funny like that. Stabing them through the center'll still kill them though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 01:13:36 am »

There are those within Kubrinka who wish to mount an expedition into the foreboding forest, to uncover what lies beyond, before doing this they need someplace to organize themselves at. So they shall make an explorers guild, and reap the benefits! (2 labor or something thereabouts)

Within the city there has been a great discovery!  The league of natural philosophers have discovered a great wonder formed by a process involving heating the sand found in the lower parts of the mesa. This miraculous invention, called "glass" is clear, solid and has some rather strange effects on ones eyesight. The natural philosophers shall begin their investigation in earnest momentarily. (2 labor to the scientific investigation of glass, 1 to the mining and gathering of sand.)

As is well-known, the city of Kubrinka is on a mesa. What is less well known is that no-one has left it in quite a while, what with the city tearing itself apart and all. They have mostly survived by virtue of being able to grow their crops in cramped conditions. This alone is no longer enough, there's not enough room. As such cautionary clearing of some of the forest floor has begun, in order for there to be enough food. This has also lead to a great effort by the dark-clothed ones to domesticate the more benign and tasty beasts of the woods, something that may just result in great things. (2 labor to food 2 to wood and 1 to animal domestication)

In other news, local sage predicts rain of fish: Nomindarmus the sage was always a somewhat......... strange person, but this latest prediction of his takes the cake. He has predicted that there shall be a rain of fish, and not just any fish. He claims that on the first of Jrune there shall be a rain of the blind cave fish that swim in the lower depths of the mesa. Incidentally, Fernsworthy, head of  the society of natural philosophers, has said "If this comes to pass, I will not only eat my own hat, I will also dig a room 10-feet cubed with my teeth!" Nomindarmus replied "Weee! I'M A LOONEY FISH HAT HAT BARK!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 03:08:35 am »

Pretty awesome, but a quick question: Do I need to research glass tech before I can utilize my already-made Alchemist's lab?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 03:31:39 am »

Granary sounds about right for the Asykos; they're fairly communal, civic-minded, frugal, and are big on planning for the future. For leaders... yeah, I guess I can kind of see the problem. Engineer fits for lack of anything better... the only thing that might fit more specifically would be some kind of intelligence-gathering role maybe? They're pretty big on collecting information.

Is there a fixed tech tree, or is it going to be pretty much freeform?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2009, 06:19:07 am »

No they don't. They still hold two things at a time, but they don't have limbs. Or any discernable features or organs. They're funny like that. Stabing them through the center'll still kill them though.
So, they're like a cross between Homestar Runner and Chewbacca? Okay, whatever. (Oh, and I should probably point out that you don't have the technology to make plate armor yet... or, for that matter, any metalworking at all.)

Pretty awesome, but a quick question: Do I need to research glass tech before I can utilize my already-made Alchemist's lab?
Uh, you don't have an alchemist's lab... Oh! My mistake; I should have explicitly stated that those last two were descriptions of the special buildings your leaders enable you to make. Sorry about that. The buildings you already have are the Hall of Learning and the Stables. The same goes for everyone else: The only buildings you actually have are the two listed as starting buildings under city info. The descriptions under your leaders are buildings your leaders (and, for Zrlv, racial traits) enable.

Is there a fixed tech tree, or is it going to be pretty much freeform?
A little from column A, a little from column B. I've got some basic techs planned out, but I'm planning to make up a lot of stuff on the fly.

NME: The game hasn't started just yet. Sorry if you thought otherwise. I'll start a new thread when the game begins. I've still got some information to get up; we can probably start later today. (And, uh, almost half your people would starve if you did that, anyway.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:08:06 am by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2009, 07:03:30 am »

Some more rules that I didn't get up earlier:

Food and your people:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Terrain and terrain improvements:

Money:

Buildings:

Technologies:

Research:

Your city's surroundings:

Oh, and a non-rules thing I forgot to mention earlier: Please name your leaders. There are a variety of reasons I don't want to do it for you, but I do want it to get done.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:28:16 pm by Vanigo »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:49 am »

What do mines do? +1 ore?

Authentic goblin leader names and brief bios:

General - Stozuagun - Glrknl's younger brother, Stozuagun is a military genius, at least in goblin terms. He was tasked with ensuring that nobody disturbed the peace.

Explorer - Xungbubukza - He has been a friend to Stozuagun from a young age. Since he has a knack for finding whatever he's looking for, Glrknl has asked him to discover a vein of high-quality iron. He hasn't found any yet, but will continue looking until he succeeds. (Not an action. Yet.)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2009, 08:35:00 am »

Yeah, mines generate ore, but you need to find it first.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2009, 01:14:49 pm »

Is it possible to build ships at the game start?

It seems like river tiles are kinda overpowered.  They give a bonus, allow for a cheap upgrade and allow for an additional upgrade.  And using less laboring gathering food means fewer farmers to feed which allows for an even bigger labor bonus.

Jerran Leaders:
Engineer: Brennan the Sage, a descendant of the heroic Reynus, oversaw the latest renovation of Jericho's walls and is the most respected of the "circle of Reynus", those who study the art of architecture
Governor: Anselm is a member of the Jerran "tribe", those who claim lineage back to the member of the village at the time of Reynus's arrival.  He is the first Elder to lead the town who is not a descendant of Reynus since Reynus's arrival, which speaks to the wily ability he has to please the populace.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 02:41:08 pm »

Is it possible to build ships at the game start?
Sure, if you've got a dockyard (which you do) you can build a galley for 2 wood and 3 labor.

It seems like river tiles are kinda overpowered.  They give a bonus, allow for a cheap upgrade and allow for an additional upgrade.  And using less laboring gathering food means fewer farmers to feed which allows for an even bigger labor bonus.
Yeah, that's why everyone has one.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 05:05:11 pm »

Do we get to use resources on the turn we get them? I'd like to train up a military unit with the wood I'm harvesting and new arrivals.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 05:08:03 pm »

Yes, you can.
... You know, come to think of it, I'd better put weaponcrafting costs somewhere. It takes 2 labor and 1 wood to make 1 unit of simple weapons, and 2 labor 1 wood to make a unit's worth of wooden shields. Only 1 labor for you, since you've got the workshops.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 05:38:55 pm »

Yeah, that's why everyone has one.

At the risk of sounding petty, I wish to point out that some of us got stuck with substantially smaller rivers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 07:25:18 pm »

Leaders of the Asykos:

Amnarchis the Sage. Current Patriarch of Antemnon and one of the youngest ever elected to this position.
Ramades the Engineer. His focus on practical mechanics over theory causes many of his compatriots to look askance at him, but his skills win him grudging respect nonetheless.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46