Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46

Author Topic: Age of Restoration game discussion (Still one spot open!)  (Read 50725 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Restoration game discussion (Game is full)
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:41 pm »

Okay, I'm getting kind of sick of waiting for NME to respond, so it's time to plan ahead if he doesn't. Little, if he doesn't get back to me, do you want to take over his civ or start a new one?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »

I'll jump in and start a new one.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2009, 11:00:38 pm »

Well, get a description up, then. It'll probably need some tweaking.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39:49 pm »

This good?

Name: Kurtins
Capital City: Turling
Race: Humans
Theme: Tough Xenophobes

Bio: The Kurtins were possibly the unluckiest tribe in the great Empire. The Kurtins were a society of merely tribal-level humans that lived on rich land. They were strong, but merely average thinkers, and when one of the great Empires set it's sight on the Kurtin lands which had been undiscovered due to an intimidating mountain range, they used guile. The Kurtins were surprised at the arrival of men with what they called 'the fire tool'(guns) but the Kurtains being a race with few enemies besides the occasional harsh winter, they took to the strangers with open arms. Vast amounts of gold and silver(a common resource on this side of the mountain range) were traded for a few interesting Empire baubles, making the explorer Golgoath Vanigo one of the richest men on the Empire side upon his arrival. The greedy Viceroy who had sponsored Golgoath's exploration promptly hired a dozen companies of mercenary soldiers and sent them on their way for glory and gold.

Nearly ten companies perished in the dangerous mountain crossing due to horrible underfunding for supplies and lack of mountaineering skill. The dangerous mountain range was so vast it took nearly a month to cross, Golgoath desperately giving his soldiers the basic lessons of mountaineering while they scaled dangerous peaks. The  Kurtains displayed an excellent skillset for surviving in the mountains, being tough and resourceful while having the farming skills to eke out small communities that were tucked away near the sky. The mountain range was intimidatingly vast, and it was only due to the promise of vast gold(not to mention Golgoath's penchant for brutality and constant threats of public executions) that made the soldiers across. Even with the army devastated, Golgoath conquered the Kurtain's in under a month, the troops laughing at the tribe's primitive weapons as they fired with their guns. The Kurtain Lands were completely occupied when a winding road was built with the riches plundered from the Kurtains. With most Kurtains becoming little more than slaves, the few free Kurtain were given garbage-choked plots of land to farm out a few wilting plants.

The Kurtain's primitive culture and society survived through numerous generations, and when the Age of Ash struck, the Kurtains promptly fled into the mountains, rapidly dusting off the skills their fathers had brought down through the generations. The Kurtains soon seeded the colossal mountain range with little villages and hideaways. The mountain range was shaken by the disasters that shook the rest of the world, but the Kurtain's only lost a few villages. The Kurtains lived in relative peace, adapting to the mountains while growing tough plants that could survive the rains of ash and arid mountain soil. The village elder met yearly in a large hut in the unofficial capital city of Turling, which is the largets village. Often the Elders would discuss little more than field conditions, smoke a few pipes filled with poignant herbs that were hidden in seams in the mountains, and swap a few old myths back and forth before returning to their villages. However, every once in a while, they would have important news to discuss. Flashes of fire in the distance, horrific floods that would creep up the mountains and drown villages on the lower peaks, and the occasional massive deformed beast that would enter the range and massacre a village, hunters returning with backpacks filled with small birds to villages of slaughtered Kurtains, the beast still prowling the deserted streets. These villages were forsaken as cursed. Other than those threats, the Kurtains lived lives of relative calm compared to the rest of the world, and now that the distance seems clear and there are less and less disasters, a few Kurtains think it is time to move out of the mountains and back into their homeland. Many argue against the few, however, as the Kurtain culture has turned xenophobic, fearful of what other civilization lay outside the mountains. The Elders agreed that all citizens who wished to leave to form their own villages were allowed to do so, but the Elders would not be organizing a migration any time soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:42:12 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:48 am »

Okay, let's see here...

Golgoath Vanigo
Hey, quit it, you.

One of the Old Empires conquered the primitive Kurtain. The Kurtain Lands were completely occupied when a winding road was built with the riches plundered from the Kurtains. With most Kurtains becoming little more than slaves, the few free Kurtain were given garbage-choked plots of land to farm out a few wilting plants. When the Age of Ash struck, the Kurtains promptly fled into the mountains, rapidly dusting off the skills their fathers had brought down through the generations.
I don't really need to know that much about what happened in the Age of Glory. A few sentences of that is nice to have, but I'm really much more interested in what happened during the Age of Ash, and you're pretty sparse there.

Also, don't be so specific about what's been built and discovered. Don't tell me they have an alphabet and an observatory; tell me how they live, how they see the world. Why did this tribal society start building cities in the first place, and why did they keep doing it through the Age of Ash? How has their history shaped their view of other people and the world around them? That's the kind of high-level information I'm really looking for.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:02:29 am by Vanigo »

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:03 pm »

Updated it some more. It good now?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2009, 10:11:12 pm »

Quite a bit better. Sounds like South American refugees from the Conquistadores, which is fine. Still a couple questions, though: What kind of religious beliefs do they have, and what do you mean by "lucky tribals"?

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2009, 12:38:59 am »

In hindsight, the Lucky Tribal thing is dumb. I'll go for Tough Xenophobes instead.

I've been doing the British occupation of Native American lands in Social Studies, so that may have been an inspiration.  ;)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2009, 12:53:41 am »

Oh, yeah: and what's up with the "Golgoath Vanigo" thing?

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2009, 01:05:24 am »

Golgath + Vanigo = Golgoath Vanigo

I mixed your usernames together and added an A. I wanted an archaic name.

Golgath hosts the Chaos Point game and you host this game.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2009, 07:36:41 am »

I feel left out.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »

Okay, here's what I'm thinking for your starting position.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As always, let me know if you see anything that looks wrong.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49:19 pm »

Where can I find a legend for the map?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49:58 pm »

The game thread. Oh, and that little icon is irrigation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:08:49 pm by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »

Okay, Little, I'm starting your first turn, but if anything's really wrong, go ahead and point it out anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46