Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46

Author Topic: Age of Restoration game discussion (Still one spot open!)  (Read 50649 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a civ-like game?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 10:32:54 pm »

Civilization: The Neo-Tyrgani Alliance
City Name: Citadel City

Race: Human

Description of Society: The Neo-Tyrgani Alliance considers itself to be the successors to a once-great empire; they delve deeper into the Tyrgani Citadel they have "reclaimed," seeking its secrets.

Theme: Technology-scavenging alchemists

A brief history of your city, and its surrounding environment. How did your people cope with the Age of Ash? Who founded your city, where and why, and how has it developed since then? Are you on the banks of a sacred lake that you believe houses a water goddess who protects you? Do you live in the hills, herding animals and hiding in the caves? Tell me about it. The Tygani Empire split into what is believed to be hundreds of tribes at the time of the Age of Ash, and the initial effects made farming nearly impossible, forcing a nomadic lifestyle upon the populace. Generations later, the leader of the Falcons of Khas, a conquest-focused tribe who exerted force over other tribes and demanded tribute, decided to defy a societal taboo against entering a building known as The Monolith, an enormous metallic tower that  survived the Age of Ashes seemingly unharmed. The Falcons of Khas discovered ancient agricultural equipment in a storage room, as well as alchemical techniques to restore the equipment and a formula that could restore fertility to the blasted soil. Expansive farmlands began to develop around the Tyrgani Citadel. The Falcons of Khas declared themselves the Neo-Tyrgani Empire - the new Empire of Tyrg - and subjugated the nearby tribes with alchemically enhanced weapons. The Falcons of Khas remain the ruling class in the Neo-Tyrgani Empire, and they seek to delve deeper into the sealed-away secrets of the Tyrgani Citadel to learn greater alchemy and technology. They've only recovered the most basic of agricultural equipment, so far - the machines are believed to be kept much deeper within the Tyrgani Citadel. The Falcons of Khas actively promote a religion revolving around the (somewhat vaguely defined) teachings of a Falcon-headed god of alchemy, who supposedly granted Tyrgani (and now grants the Neo-Tyrgani) alchemists with the power of control over matter.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:26:41 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:20 pm »

My civs up. That took a while.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:25 pm »

Reserved!

Civilization: The Guild

Race: Human

Description: Normal People who have banded together

Theme: Clever and untrustworthy

A brief history of your city, and its surrounding environment. How did your people cope with the Age of Ash? Who founded your city, where and why, and how has it developed since then? Are you on the banks of a sacred lake that you believe houses a water goddess who protects you? Do you live in the hills, herding animals and hiding in the caves? Tell me about it
:

The Guild was established by six scavengers who once met in an abandoned mine. Instead of shooting eachother, they each decided to dig a little. To their surprise, they found silver. Each scavenger quickly set up a small hut outside the mine and tapped the hole for the gleaming metal. Within a few years, there was a small village situated above the mines, with a barter system and it's own currency. The more cautious citizens grew whatever they could in the ruined earth while herding sickly cattle while the adventurous went far into the wastes looking for something useful to sell.

The village grew into a town, with each generation slowly improving hte land and methods to be bale to support more people. Immigrants wandered in, walls were made, expanded. Districts developed, population grew even more. Now, the proud civilization of The Guild controls one sprawling city, and is controlled by the ancestors of the original six.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:30:49 pm by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:14 pm »

NME:

Looks good, for the most part, but I'm going to have to say no to the ancient city. All the major cities, minor cities, towns, and most of the hamlets of the Old Empires were destroyed. I'd also like to say that while the darks may have great magical potential, the vast majority of the magical knowledge of the world was lost along with everything else. And, uh, dial back the beast control - no deep dark forest impenetrable to anything but you.

Pandarsenic:

Archaeo-alchemy is fine, but you've got them quite a bit too advanced to start out. Have them just beginning to delve into the Citadel and decipher its secrets, and you're looking good.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:34 pm »

Fine, The ancient forest creatures are well. Mostly asleep and require great magical knowledge to wake up, let alone control. The city's still on a mesa, but it's not that big.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 12:10:32 am »

Aw snap, you guys ganked some of the themes I was going to gun for (er, probably best not to read too much into that word choice). Oh well.

The Asykos
Capital city: Antemnon

The Asykos are broadly humanlike in appearance, but present an extremely sterile image. They are completely hairless, with skin of a flat gray color and irises that are so pale to be almost white. According to lore they were originally created as servant constructs by an older race in the Age of Glory using arts long since forgotten; although crafted of flesh and blood, they had only the most basic intellect and no concept of emotion or individuality. In the fall of the Old Empires most were wiped out, but a handful emerged afterwords that were changed, possessed of true intelligence and free will. It is unclear whether these alterations were a last desperate act of their creators, or if their evolution was brought about by their own urgent need, or even some outside agency acting upon them. The Asykos themselves do not know, and ever since this "Awakening" they have devoted considerable efforts towards attempting to learn more of their origins and their purpose in the world.

Although their predecessors had been in service throughout broad expanses of territory, these newer and more independent Asykos were centered in and around the city of Antemnon, ancient even in the reckoning of the empires of old. An isolated center of learning, the rocky foothills surrounding the city afforded enough resources to subsist, and in better times even thrive, but offered little to attract nomads or raiders from outside. The city itself was razed practically to its foundations, but over time the Asykos have slowly built their own city among its ruins. Their surroundings are anything but lush, yet the Asykos care little for luxury and approach day-to-day living with practicality and discipline.

The center of the city is the Great Library, the most important site of the new Asykoic culture; it too was devastated, yet not completely destroyed and the knowledge recovered from its surviving archives is Antemnon's greatest resource, which the Asykos attribute their survival to. Of course, most of the knowledge contained therein is cryptic and impenetrable, and the Asykos must resort to considerable interpretation in order to glean any semblance of meaning from it--a source of dispute both within and without the city, with some suggesting that the "teachings" of the Library amount to uninformed superstition based on works which the Asykos cannot hope to understand.

The Asykos's creation is widely accepted to have been the work of mere mortals, and without the divine link of a creator deity their faith is understandly not very firmly rooted. They are far from atheistic, however; their intellectual curiosity drives them to probe any religious ideas they come across, and in Antemnon one may find any number of different gods worshipped in any number of different ways--just not especially fervently. The Asykos are not zealots by nature and are quite tolerant of these differences in religion and philosophy; though they will debate restlessly over the nature of divine truth, they rarely if ever view the beliefs of others as a physical threat.

Theme: Stoic philosopher-historians
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:11:44 pm by RPB »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 12:32:36 am »

NME:
I'm not sure what would have put these cataclysm-spawned monstrosities to sleep in the first place. Why not make them considerably less ferocious, currently active, and not nearly so hard to control? The forest will be dangerous to everyone, but not nearly as dangerous to the Zarathustrans, who know what to watch for and have some magic to at least calm the beasts.

Strife:
What you've got all looks fine, but I'd like to know a bit more about Fortress. Where is it, how long has it been there, why'd the Zefies built it there, etc...

RPB:
Looks good to me! I'm a bit leery about having two societies based around studying an Age of Glory ruin, but you and Panda have taken it in different enough directions that I'm okay with it.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:47 am »

Okay then. The monsters wander the forest. but they know to watch out for them. the beasts generally don't attack the dark ones, noone knows why except them, and they aren't telling. the beasts aren't all that aggressive, but they are territorial.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 07:02:04 am »

Civilization name: Hegemony of Zrlv
City name: Glrk'nr
Race: Goblins (DF style. Not the weak underling type commonly used as a football by orcs.)
Theme: Industrious Xenophobic Isolationists.

Description: The Zrlv live in a recently formed network of caves. They are not quite as ruthlessly bloodthirsty as they once we, but they don't trust any other race and won't hesitate to kill any that they see as intruders. They currently seek only to restore their once great civilization passed down by (and greatly exaggerated by) oral history.
They worship their leader, the strongest of their civilization, as a god-king. Any citizen may challenge the current ruler with a fight to the death at any time for the right to rule. None have yet dared to challenge Grlk'nr the Great, first ruler of the Hegemony of Zrlv.

History After the fall of their great cities, the goblins of Zrlv began wandering the land, searching for refuge. Unable to find it due to their warmongering past, they split into smaller family groups and eventually managed to eke out a living by semi-nomadic hunting, sleeping in caves where they could. As the disasters became less frequent, the goblins began settling down. Glrk'nr the Great, the first Ruler and leader of a small family group, found a cave network. As other family-groups were found, they were brought to the cave. Subterranean farming was reinvented. The goblins abandoned their previous lifestyle with the hope of rebuilding their once great nation.

Edit - Religion added
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:33:34 pm by Nirur Torir »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 11:10:45 am »

If there's a spot left, I call dibs, and will update later today.  I totally deserve the spot as I suggest the client cities idea!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:31 pm »

I also wish to call a spot

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:09 pm »

Well, there are five profiles currently up, so I suppose whoever gets theirs in first gets the last one.

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I'll review Nirur's civilization later, but I would like to say one thing: I'm not seeing much about anyone's religious beliefs here. Building temples is kind of a 4X thing (to say nothing of divine magic), so you might want to come up with something.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »

((I might edit this idea to refine it a bit, but this is the gist of what I'm going for.  Acceptable?))

Civilization: Jerrans of Jericho
Race: Humans, the humans of Jerrico are a less homogeneous lot then many other city states due to a trickle of immigration over the past century, which let a small village of hundreds grow into a city of thousands.  Humans of Jerrico are generally not great in stature but are a canny and resilient lot.  A few other races are present in small numbers, a handful of halflings and gnomes, but they are too few to be of much importance.
The people of Jericho have a practice of citizen democracy of sorts.  Citizenship is granted to those who can equip themselves with sword and oval shield and train in their use.  Votes of the citizens influence the foreign policy of the city, especially when it comes to war.  Nobility is granted to those who can afford to serve as horsemen or provide a ship during times of war.  A council drawn from the ranks of the nobles has sway over the treasury of the city, since it is their money being taxed.  The most revered among the Jarrans are the scholars, those who study geometry and other philosophies or the prestigeous art of architecture.  While they hold no special political power, scholars of architecture are a privileged and honored elite.
The Jerrans are not as militaristic as most other people's in these dark days.  Citizens are required to be ready for military service, however Jerrans are not eager to go to war.  When they do, they prefer siegecraft to bloody battle. 
Jericho has no dedicated navy.  Instead, it's citizens use merchant ships for this need.  These small ships could not stand against warships in ramming action, but attempt to use their speed and agility to keep a distance and pepper and enemy with fire arrows.
Jerran religion is based around mysticism and worship of nature spirits.  Shrines to various nature spirits are maintained in the center of town, along with the shrine to Reynus, a revered hero of the towns history.  However these shrines are seen as a site for spirituality, not the center of spirituality.  The holy people of Jericho are transients, spending most of their time in the wilds.  The holiest site of the Jerrans is the small island of Eatae, located a few miles off shore.  The lush forests of this island survived the Age of Ashes untouched and are considered consecrated ground.
Theme: merchant sailors and scholarly builders
History:  A hundred years ago, a survivor name Reynus from one of the ruins of one of the last towns of the old empire came upon the small village of Jericho.  It was a dire time, when a rampaging army of orcs and horrors was sweeping through the region, leaving devastation in their path.  But Reynus had studied a strange an secretive learning during the last days of his home city.  With this knowledge he was able to teach a hundred villagers how to erect a wall around their village in a week which should have taken months or years to build.  With this fortification Jericho was able to survive the onslaught.
Reynus remained in Jericho, eventually becoming the village leader.  Under his leadership, the growing towns defenses became ever more mighty and refugies swelled the ranks of the citizenry.  When Reynus died, he was revered as the towns savior and a shrine was built in his honor in the middle of the town, where the old village had once been.  This shrine became a center of learning, where a few scholars preserved what Reynus had known and slowly expanded their knowledge.  Reynus's mighty secret which had saved the village was entrusted to a select few of the most honorable scholars in this community.  Reynus's Secret remains closely guarded to this day.
As the town grew, it's citizens began to look outwards.  Their small fishing ships soon took up the role of merchant vessels, selling the unmatched Jerran beer to other communities.  The fishing ships were replaced by well crafted merchant vessels, small but seaworthy and agile craft.  With this new trade, Jericho started to attract wealth and began to change from an isolated fortress resisting the world into a city-state.  The reforms establishing citizenship were adopted, the upper class emerged and the prestige of the shrine of Reynus emerged, allowing true scholars to emerge and the study of architecture to begin.  The walls of Jericho became the mightiest above ground fortress in the world.  The architects of Jericho were even sought out by other towns, lending their great skill.  And for a princely sum, the architects of Jericho will even construct a mighty fortress using Reynus's Secret.  This honed art allows a hundred men to construct in weeks what a thousand could not do in a year and makes walls of unparalleled quality.  This secret is entrusted only to a select few, who will only use it under the utmost privacy.  None yet have been able to afford that Reynus's Secret be used to build a city wall, but a few have commissioned small but mighty fortresses built in this fashion.  It is well known that Reynus's Secret is not magical of nature, but the craft is a mystery to many ((so other players don't get to know, although I told Vanigo.))
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:00:45 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 01:52:28 pm »

Hmm, seems like I'm too late. I'll post this anyway, just in case and because I had fun writing it.

Civilisation Name: The Igni

Capitol: Arina Deď

theme: Impulsive, savage and magically adept symbiotes.

Race: Devils, possessed, Demigods. The Igni have many names, but few know their real nature. To understand the Igni, one has to go back to how it once started, to before there were Igni. The following is the diary of a man named Azer, which most Igni see as their forefather:

As you can see, an Igni is formed through an equal bond between a human and a Daemon. This gives the Daemon a way to manifest itself in the real world and to influence it, and the human side becomes more adept at using magic and can call upon the help of his Daemon, if he or she is willing that is. This comes at a price though, because the bond makes both the human and the Daemon more impulsive and their emotions much deeper. Not surprisingly, violence and suicide are the two most important causes of death for the Igni.

On the surface, an Igni looks mostly like a human. The most striking difference is usually their eccentric clothing style and the aura of energy around them, who's effect and "colour" depends on the nature of the Daemonic part of the bond. Besides that, the body of older Igni is often altered, some would say mutilated, by the impulsive use of magic and the influence of the Daemonic side of the bond. Some Igni take this one step further, by deliberately altering their body. Wings are the most common alteration, though it's very rare for those to be actually useful. Some grow horns or claws, to help with hunting and fighting, while others may make even more eccentric changes. These changes aren't without danger of course, but that isn't something an Igni is to concerned with.

There are some other peculiar effects of this bond. First off all, Daemons must feed upon the death of a living being to sustain the bond, meaning that the food supply in Axis Deď is always a cause for concern and hunters and livestock breeders are held in high regard. Besides that, if the bond between human and Daemon is ever broken, both will die immediately. Though this usually only comes into play when an Igni fights with a powerful magician, knocking an Igni unconscious can also break the bond. A last effect is that it slows down aging to about a quarter of the normal speed. Not that many Igni ever get to live long enough to apreciate it...

Igni Society:
Igni Society is a complex net of unwritten rules, meant to keep aggression in check and to guide everything in the right direction. One has to know when to obey what rule and when to break them. Fights are common, and allowed as long as they follow the rules. Those who fail to obey these rules are punished with mutilation or death. Or worse, exiled to foreign lands, forced to be an pariah forever. The worst punishment however, is banishment to the mirror realm...

The Igni society is currently ruled by consensus of several elders, who have been elected due to their eloquency and might. Elders are usually recruited from the hunters and warriors, though sometimes a normal citizen can gather enough support to become elected as an elder. One of the elders takes the role of "head of the elders" and acts as the diplomatic leader for the Igni, with the others supporting him or her.

The Igni pantheon seems to be a diffuse collection of gods taken from the nomadic cultures of the Southdust, and the interpretation differs per person. But there seems to be a general consensus that there are 5 Archdaemons that govern the powers and fate of all Daemons.
There are the 3 rulers of the Mirror realm and the 2 corporal Archdaemons:

Though these Daemons aren't seen as real gods, they are revered like demigods, taking the position of the spiritual heads of Igni society and sources of hope, power and inspiration. To an Igni these are very real and interaction with them seems to occure very regulary.

There is one last entity that is revered by all the Igni, and that is a being called "Zeri". Zeri is the manifestation of destiny, the herald of the future. According to Igni lore, she takes the form of an ethereal hawk and she appears whenever there is a pivotal change in some one's life. Someone who has been "touched by Zeri" is destined to change the lives of many, for better or worse...

History of Igni society:
Not much is known about the time directly after the first ritual, since Azer's diary of that time has been lost when the previous capital, Unita, was destroyed. What is known is the following:

Igni population growth:
One item I have left untouched is how new Igni come to be. One of the (less fortunate) side-effects of the bond that forms and Igni is that it leaves the female host sterile, by preventing the growth of the fetus. It might also adversely influence the potency of male Igni. This means that there is no natural way in which the Igni can reproduce, and they must rely upon other humans to come and join the Igni. Therefor, Igni recruiters are always searching for new "recruits" in the lands around Arina Deď. This inefficient methode limits the growth of the Igni, so other means have been proposed, like supporting a small human population in Arina Deď, but this has been refuted since there is no guarantee that humans born this way are actualy allinged to a Daemon, and then there are the cultural dificulties, which would probably result in many dead humans...
It is unknown if other sentient races can be bound to a Daemon, but there are very few Daemons willing to try it out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:31:31 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46