Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393813 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1965 on: October 31, 2009, 10:43:23 pm »

*resists urge to debate about communism*

I read something in a manga once. It turns out that the catholic cross isnt the original one. That the original had a second and third, much smaller middle peices at the top and bottom of the vertical line. So it went "small line, normal line, small line. I think it was a russian cross.  ???

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:38 pm »

The reason for this is because God is carefully crafted and designed so as to be impossible to disprove; whenever God is disproved, religion just moves the goalposts. Which causes God to fall into the realm of 'it doesn't bloody matter.'

A more positive interpretation of this behavior might be to say "at least they're being flexible".
As I said in my previous post, the concept of atheism is often (and quite incorrectly) interpreted as an "anti-religious" (for want of a better word, "secular") movement as opposed to simply a movement involving the rejection of God/deities. As I'm sure you know atheism - in the colloquial sense, at least - is merely the rejection of anything "superstitious", that which cannot be or is yet not proven by scientific method. The issue with this misinterpretation is that I often hear of ironically fanatical "atheists" railing against religion as a whole, as opposed to simply railing against the concept of God.
Again, as I implied in my previous post, in modern times religion has far more significance than God does.

The point that I'm making by saying this is that people railing against religious dogma for its "flexibility", if you like, need to stop looking for a "truth" - that truth is clouded by your sheer humanity, and very similar rules apply to science, that practice that atheists hold so dear, as those that apply to religion (or the debunking thereof). "It doesn't bloody matter" indeed, because as far as I've seen theoretical physics is about as watertight as any organised religion has been in recent years.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:15:46 pm by 3 »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:29 am »

as far as I've seen theoretical physics is about as watertight as any organised religion has been in recent years.

This is because, with all due politeness, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: November 01, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »

The universal constant pretty much makes physics 100% proven.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: November 01, 2009, 02:29:53 pm »

Which part of physics? Much of it remains unproven due to a lack of ability to conduct tests.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: November 01, 2009, 02:48:08 pm »

????????? Have a vacuum sealed room and the tests are carried out perfectly.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: November 01, 2009, 02:54:03 pm »

What about things like Dark Matter, or the enigmous Higgs-Boson? We lack the equipment to test for things related to those, hell that's why the LHC was built; to try and find the Higgs-Boson (assuming it exists.)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: November 01, 2009, 03:01:44 pm »

vacuum-sealed room doesn't address radiation, gravity, acceleration, temperature and no doubt dozens of other factors. They are still looking for gravitons aren't they?
Some things are so small and/or weird that you can't interact with them enough to 'see' them in any real sense. If all you have to go on are cropped grass, track, and the occasional mound of fertiliser then it is difficult to accurately describe a cow, even if you can mathematically deduce most of its properties...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: November 01, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »

you do realize, that you guys are talking about things, that once discovered, will make scincefiction come to life right?

Don't try to disprove physics such as gravity and acceleration and velocity with things like wether gravitons exist or not.

And yes a vacuum sealed room does support temperature and acceleration.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: November 01, 2009, 03:45:21 pm »

I am not trying to disprove physics, just maintaining that some things are not known.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: November 01, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »

Okay Micro, query me this. Why is gravity such a weak force in the universe as compared to the other known forces in the universe?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: November 01, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »

Noone knows. Why are you asking me to solve a hypothesis with something noone knows about yet?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: November 01, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »

What about things like Dark Matter, or the enigmous Higgs-Boson? We lack the equipment to test for things related to those, hell that's why the LHC was built; to try and find the Higgs-Boson (assuming it exists.)

You'll be happy to hear that the LHC has been turned on again last week.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »

Don't try to disprove physics such as gravity
Noone knows. Why are you asking me to solve a hypothesis with something noone knows about yet?

So how is physics 100% proven now? Gravitational theory is an important part of physics is it not?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »

What makes gravity a weak force?

Oh, and if you can conclusively disprove physics it doesn't say a thing about religion. The simple fact is that if a creator decides that its creations should have specific feelings towards it then either it will cause them to do so, it lacks the ability to do so, or it completely lacks any empathy with them. A caring(in the broadest possible sense) powerful creator is not a valid target for worship, no amount of disproving the alternatives will make it okay to pursue such a course.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 370