Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 393802 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1950 on: October 31, 2009, 04:30:57 am »

It will be a religion when:
1. They create a proper symbol for atheism.
2. They create a ritualistic set of actions, like monthly meetings/debates.
3. Someone tells atheists what to do and what to believe, and nobody questions him/her.

Antiques Roadshow is a religion!

This is undeniable fact.

*mild applause*

Also, the concept of atheism being a religion is mind numbing and painful.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: October 31, 2009, 07:40:58 am »

When it comes down to God, note this: atheists have no conclusive evidence to prove the non-existence of God

The reason for this is because God is carefully crafted and designed so as to be impossible to disprove; whenever God is disproved, religion just moves the goalposts. Which causes God to fall into the realm of 'it doesn't bloody matter.'

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: October 31, 2009, 08:34:09 am »

This is getting more amusing.  But, ah, no.  There weren't goalposts to begin with, seeing as how most religions didn't have any scientific explanations for what was going on in their religions.

The real problem is that there is no test to falsify the claim, only speculation.  And occasionally discussion of metaphysics and time travel (the latter of which, funnily enough, came up and is being mocked in the "humanity won't survive the next 500 years" thread).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: October 31, 2009, 02:13:33 pm »

This is getting more amusing.  But, ah, no.  There weren't goalposts to begin with
Sure there are... How are babies formed?  "God did it" ... No, it's the process of cell division and the union of an egg and a sperm containing DNA.  How does DNA work?  "God made it."  (see... I moved the goalpost...)  Goalposts are always moved when you talk about God and Science.  That's fact.  Whenever there's something unexplainable, the religious move the goalpost to that event and claim it's "God's doing."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: October 31, 2009, 03:46:29 pm »

How does this sound?

If god wanted to be known by everyone, then he should be able to do so right? Since he doesn't do so, he doesnt want you to.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: October 31, 2009, 06:52:34 pm »

This is getting more amusing.  But, ah, no.  There weren't goalposts to begin with, seeing as how most religions didn't have any scientific explanations for what was going on in their religions.

There was plenty of goalpost moving; Lightning was once explained as God's wrath, as Andir said, Babies used to be God, DNA used to be God, the Sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening? That used to be God too.

Many things used to be explained as God's fault, when we proved that this was emphatically not the case, Religion simply moved the goalposts; Lightning is just an electrical charge built up by water molocules rubbing together? Well then God made those water molocules rub together in that way to produce that specific bolt of lightning. Sun rising and setting is just a byproduct of the Earth's spin? Well then God was the one who made the Earth spin like that. A planet forming out of dust around a central star would spin naturally? Well then God was the one who put the dust there. The dust was put there by a previous Supernova? God must have made that star that went Supernova. That star was formed from Hydrogen created in the Big Bang? No worries mate! God made the Big Bang!

Look how far i moved those Goalposts from "God is responsible for the sun rising and setting."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: October 31, 2009, 07:09:56 pm »

that would sound so much more reliable if it wasn't an atheist who said it. You need to get a priest to move the goal posts. or try the pope lol.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: October 31, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »

Yeah, you'll need a church official.  Not some idiot spouting pseudo-christianity (which is what you are referencing)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: October 31, 2009, 08:05:13 pm »

But that doesnt change the fact that the church used to say the moon was a pure ball of whiteness, and killed the man who proved that it wasn't

Or how the world was flat, and killed the man who said it was round.

Side Note: More people have been killed in the name of religion then for any other reason.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure the modern Catholic Church agrees that there was nothing in the bible actually against that.  In fact, even back when it happened, that's the way it was.  It's just that at the time the church was corrupt and spreading misinformation to give themselves power.
Just so I remember

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: October 31, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »

But that doesnt change the fact that the church used to say the moon was a pure ball of whiteness, and killed the man who proved that it wasn't

Or how the world was flat, and killed the man who said it was round.

Side Note: More people have been killed in the name of religion then for any other reason.

They killed Magellan?

I thought that was us Filipinos.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: October 31, 2009, 10:14:29 pm »

Magellan said it was round first? You sure?

and if the church was corrupt, why didn't God get rid of them? The conflictions never end  :-\

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: October 31, 2009, 10:24:43 pm »

the church was corrupt and spreading misinformation to give themselves power.
Which is exactly why religion is a bad thing and you need a reason to justify it. Prove that there has ever been a time that a church wasn't corrupt.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: October 31, 2009, 10:25:19 pm »

and if the church was corrupt, why didn't God get rid of them? The conflictions never end  :-\
Because an ignorant God (ignoring the world) is apparently what people believe in.  I mean the churches are stronger than ever and show few signs of slowing down.  (There's a brand new super church being built right down the road...from another super church...)  So a God that would take his hands off the workings of this world (or support the religions that are so corrupt) makes it a God that I would not like to follow if it existed.  Even if I decried Religion, it's that God that's allowing them to use it's name for their own gain.

Edit:  On one hand "God" needs churches to keep teaching kids, but the corrupt leaders are putting a bad image to the practice... a catch 22?  Should you be worshiping extreme atheists trying to remove churches?  Maybe they are the hands of God... ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:30:33 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: October 31, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

He didn't say it, he proved it.

Of course I'm not sure, I'm on the internet!

EDIT:

It's not so much that the church is corrupt as that people are pricks when push comes to shove. It's the same reason communism, which sounds like a good idea on paper, is doomed to fail.

Having said that, I exit the thread once more!

WHOOSH
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 370