Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394356 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1485 on: September 16, 2009, 05:43:03 am »

I would have thought that common sense was opposed to logic, given that it is regarded as obvious and therefore does not require logical progression. Belief in a god often seems to be regarded as common sense to my mind...

Edit: *celebrates*
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 16, 2009, 05:50:09 am »

Huzzah! One hundred pages of getting nowhere!

Anyway, I'd say that common sense applies to logic to an extent. Logic fails when applied to religion, but religion can be considered common sense because it makes sense (or made sense several thousand years ago) that something created us. Whether or not it's true, it seems like common sense to many people.

So yes, I totally agree with you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 16, 2009, 05:52:08 am »

The key to remember about common sense is that it's a misnomer; it's actually quite rare.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:45 am »

Now we need to lock this thread before we hit 101 and end up having to strive for 150 or 200.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 16, 2009, 06:24:11 pm »

You know, I know the world is round, but I don't believe in it's roundness.  Why would I?  It's already an established fact.  The things I believe in are things we can't know for certain.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 16, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »

You know, I know the world is round, but I don't believe in it's roundness.  Why would I?  It's already an established fact.  The things I believe in are things we can't know for certain.

Aren't you thinking of "having faith", not "believing"?

Also, your motives suck. I don't believe the world is round because it bugs people. ;)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:05 pm »

faith", not "believing"?
I have yet to see something that illustrates a real difference.  Seriously, the way I hear some people talk about evolution, it sounds less like they know it and more like they have faith in it.  And vice versa.

Granted, I live in South Carolina.  That may have something to do with it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 16, 2009, 07:44:41 pm »

Belief is confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof. So it usually goes hand and hand with faith.

I don't believe the earth is round; i know the earth is round.

And yes LegoLord, that would have something to do with it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 16, 2009, 09:31:14 pm »

The things I believe in are things we can't know for certain.
I would argue that they are things we don't know for certain. How certain can you be that they cannot be known?

I don't really think that the differences between belief, faith, and trust are significant enough to be worth debating. And just because you know something as a fact doesn't make it true, nor does it preclude a lack of or presence of faith on the subject.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 16, 2009, 09:40:56 pm »

Why does existence exist? Why does anything exist? Why does a so called creator exist? How did he come to exist? How did existence come to exist? What is the point of existing? I am not Atheist im Agnostic but the reason people these days are coming to hate religion is they want actual answers to deeper questions.
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 16, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »

It's easy to ask questions that can't be answered, or that are meaningless. "Why X exists" is one of those type of questions, usually. Not because we don't know the answer, but because, there might not even BE a why.

Why gravity exists? Because there is a curvature in space-time. Why is there a curvature in space-time? Why is there space-time? Why is volume part of space and not time? Why doesn't time flow backwards? Why is emptiness empty? Why is wetness wet and not dry?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:58:35 pm by Sergius »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:19 pm »

Why is there a curvature in space-time?
Because of the influence of objects.
Why is there space-time?
Because entities within it exist, obstructing its collapse.
Why is volume part of space and not time?
Time has distance. Volume requires three dimensions, you can extrapolate a volume from time and two other dimensions...
Why doesn't time flow backwards?
because backwards is defined as the opposite of the direction of flow. Time appears to obey causality because human perception interprets it doing so.
Why is emptiness empty?
because that is how empty is defined. Depending upon the requirements its contents could, however, be significant...
Why is wetness wet and not dry?
I am not familiar with fluid dynamics but I suspect that it has something to do with surface tension.
Read the First Post!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 17, 2009, 03:00:09 am »

Why is there a curvature in space-time?
Because of the influence of objects.
Why is there space-time?
Because entities within it exist, obstructing its collapse.
Why is volume part of space and not time?
Time has distance. Volume requires three dimensions, you can extrapolate a volume from time and two other dimensions...
Why doesn't time flow backwards?
because backwards is defined as the opposite of the direction of flow. Time appears to obey causality because human perception interprets it doing so.
Why is emptiness empty?
because that is how empty is defined. Depending upon the requirements its contents could, however, be significant...
Why is wetness wet and not dry?
I am not familiar with fluid dynamics but I suspect that it has something to do with surface tension.

You took my point and missed it completely. You've explained how it works. I asked why. Why does it work that way, and not a completely different way? Anyone who asks "why" things are what they are, generally is expecting the answer that "somebody" decided it that way. And that is what a lot of believers will always argue that the "why" can't be explained, as opposed to "how".

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 17, 2009, 03:26:55 am »

I would argue that they are things we don't know for certain. How certain can you be that they cannot be known?

Nothing is ever certain.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 17, 2009, 04:38:56 am »

I didn't miss the point I refuted it. The contention was that frivolous questions are abundant. I suggested that the examples given could be used...

As for why? Because it is as it is, if it wasn't, then it wouldn't be. The world is the product of the forces that maintain it. Sooner or later any religion will have to say the same thing about their patron. If we exist because we were wanted by a god then why does that god exist? If we are the desire of an entity born on a whim from a child imagined by an inmate of an insane asylum who's purpose remains a mystery to us does it offer any comfort at all?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 370