Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394518 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1395 on: September 11, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »

Abandoning the possibility of other options simply because you happen to be given one that seems to work for you is exactly what people do when they worship a god. Natural selection may have worked, and may continue to work, but that doesn't mean that it is the best option and that our environment hasn't changed too quickly for it to keep up.

Funny thing is, natural selection as an actual scientific theory applies to us no matter what we do, as it's simply a description of the process of some genes being replicated and some genes not. I guess you could completely curtail that, in theory, but it would take a hell of a lot of conscious effort to effectively make sure that every single member of a population breeds the same amount no matter what. In practice, it's impossible.

Also, our environment really hasn't been changing too quickly; I don't think so, at least. Right now we're probably a bit evolutionarily stagnant, because we're relatively comfortable. Of course, if we really manage to screw something up and cause some kind of awful near-instantaneous disaster, that would be bad, but especially for an organism as adaptable as humans are, I don't see us going extinct anytime soon.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 11, 2009, 12:22:54 pm »

Don't start fights.

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that atheists are atheists because they've failed at life. Many of my atheistic friends simply couldn't reconcile the idea of a higher power with what was right in front of them, and I respect that they followed their hearts and minds.

There are plenty of religious people who are chubby, the same way there are plenty who are skinny. You don't classify people like that because it doesn't matter. We're all people.

I really wish he didn't edit that post out. It sounds hilarious.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 11, 2009, 01:37:41 pm »

Don't start fights.

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that atheists are atheists because they've failed at life. Many of my atheistic friends simply couldn't reconcile the idea of a higher power with what was right in front of them, and I respect that they followed their hearts and minds.

There are plenty of religious people who are chubby, the same way there are plenty who are skinny. You don't classify people like that because it doesn't matter. We're all people.

I really wish he didn't edit that post out. It sounds hilarious.
In some ways I like unedited comments because sometimes it reflects the true intentions of people, as if they gave a speech on something.  Once you say it, it can't be taken back (unless you're a politician.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 11, 2009, 09:42:11 pm »

I don't have a problem with the existence of natural selection or the role it plays, I just think it is a little shortsighted to accept it as a purpose for living. It is a very inefficient way of improving something and resources are not limitless. We have the ability to do so much more than blindly try to be better than everyone around us...

I think I saved a copy of the post in question if yo are desperate, but it would seem like a bit of a betrayal to post it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:43 pm »

Buddhism makes the most sense. The Budha didn't believe in miracles, he believed in life lesson.
There's a distinction between Buddha and THE Buddha.

Also, Buddhism is quite complicated once you get into the Buddhism cosmology. At it's core it is simply following a path, but reincarnation can get very tricky. Hell, I don't get it half the time.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 11, 2009, 09:51:26 pm »

Reincarnation and enlightenment seem pretty miraculous to me...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 11, 2009, 09:52:47 pm »

Nope, a miracle is a interruption of the laws of nature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle).

In Buddhism Reincarnation and Enlightenment are nature.

Albeit, The Buddha apparently walked on water.

EDIT: He did quite alot of miracles.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:58:15 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 12, 2009, 02:31:08 am »

Buddhism makes the most sense. The Budha didn't believe in miracles, he believed in life lesson.
There's a distinction between Buddha and THE Buddha.

Also, Buddhism is quite complicated once you get into the Buddhism cosmology. At it's core it is simply following a path, but reincarnation can get very tricky. Hell, I don't get it half the time.
I think that is the point.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 12, 2009, 02:58:38 am »

But if you assume that the entirety of existence is an extension of a god's will then that will choosing to spontaneously heal someone is natural too...

Having 1 life be a continuation of an apparently completely separate life and having material completely leave the system without explanation are pretty miraculous if viewed from a sceptical position.
Read the First Post!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 12, 2009, 03:11:26 am »

But if you assume that the entirety of existence is an extension of a god's will then that will choosing to spontaneously heal someone is natural too...
Yeah, so :|
Having 1 life be a continuation of an apparently completely separate life and having material completely leave the system without explanation are pretty miraculous if viewed from a skeptical position.
Assuming that the whole of Buddhism is wrong and it's violating the laws of nature. Assuming Buddhism is wrong, then it doesn't matter since it doesn't happen. :|

Plus nothing leaves the system, the soul moves on between the lives, eventually going to Nirvana.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:13:16 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:29 am »

Don't start fights.

Agreed. It's like my earlier example of saying Christians are stupid because they're Christians. We're all human, we're all different. I hate generalization, when it's over the top.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:59:05 am by Jackrabbit »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 12, 2009, 06:19:51 am »

Alright, stop this thread, it's getting silly.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:54 am »

Gah, you're right. I just... keep... getting... dragged... back...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 12, 2009, 06:29:22 pm »

Nope, a miracle is a interruption of the laws of nature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle).

I figure a lot of that was just myth-building after the man had already died. One important thing to remember about him was that he didn't actually consider himself better than (or even much different from) anyone else, really.

And yeah, there's a lot of really intriguing stuff in Hindu and Buddhist cosmology, a lot of it not particularly incompatible with modern science (discounting any mythology, reincarnation, etc).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »

One important thing to remember about him was that he didn't actually consider himself better than (or even much different from) anyone else, really.

I'm pretty sure the same goes for Jesus, which accounts for all the weird stuff in the Gospels.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 370