Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394742 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1290 on: September 07, 2009, 08:09:20 pm »

No shit. But all of this neatly avoids the real question at hand, which is not whether Religion is good or not, but whether it is correct or not.

That's up to the individual person to decide.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:51 pm »

As long as they used well reason approach.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 07, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »

Now see, who among mankind is qualified to arbitrarily judge right and wrong? All we have is the general consensus of society to go by.  Regardless though though this is the kinda shit that turns me away from Nihilism.  Sure you can go durr hurr morals'n'ethics are for losers but I find myself with too much empathy for my fellow man to feel completely untouched by the actions of these people.  Even if I was looking at the world through a completely objective and rational lens I would ultimately come to the conclusion that this kinda viewpoint is boring and even if I had to act I'd rather cultivate my personality through my experiences and pretend to be guided by my morals as opposed to a dull and bleak existence in which nothing matters to me.  Also, there is a little train of thought that has bugged me today, anyone who views themselves as a completely rational person would ultimately take up religion just on the off chance that it could be true.  Sure this means you're quite a sellout BUT if you can claim to be truly looking at the world in an objective sense then where does pride factor in?

And where does "boring" factor in?
And no, you wouldn't necessarily take up religion on the off-chance that it's right. Firstly, which one do you pick? With the sheer number of them out there even if one of them happens to be right chances are you're going to pick a wrong one, and then what do you do? Does picking a wrong one piss God off more than remaining neutral? And what if there is a god who created the world so that it looks like it's come around by natural causes and rewards people who follow the evidence and think exactly that? It could be true, and if it is then you screwed yourself over royally by picking a religion. Not to mention that God, as understood by most people, wouldn't probably look very favorably on somebody who only paid him lip service out of pure self-interest.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:39 pm »

Why? Its their religion they can choose it however they want, even if they think one of their gods is cool or one of the Goddesses is hot.

I originally chose the Hellenic Pantheon because I like history in the time period that we were a major religion...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:55:05 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 07, 2009, 08:53:44 pm »

Now see, who among mankind is qualified to arbitrarily judge right and wrong? All we have is the general consensus of society to go by.  Regardless though though this is the kinda shit that turns me away from Nihilism.  Sure you can go durr hurr morals'n'ethics are for losers but I find myself with too much empathy for my fellow man to feel completely untouched by the actions of these people.  Even if I was looking at the world through a completely objective and rational lens I would ultimately come to the conclusion that this kinda viewpoint is boring and even if I had to act I'd rather cultivate my personality through my experiences and pretend to be guided by my morals as opposed to a dull and bleak existence in which nothing matters to me.  Also, there is a little train of thought that has bugged me today, anyone who views themselves as a completely rational person would ultimately take up religion just on the off chance that it could be true.  Sure this means you're quite a sellout BUT if you can claim to be truly looking at the world in an objective sense then where does pride factor in?
And where does "boring" factor in?
And no, you wouldn't necessarily take up religion on the off-chance that it's right. Firstly, which one do you pick? With the sheer number of them out there even if one of them happens to be right chances are you're going to pick a wrong one, and then what do you do? Does picking a wrong one piss God off more than remaining neutral? And what if there is a god who created the world so that it looks like it's come around by natural causes and rewards people who follow the evidence and think exactly that? It could be true, and if it is then you screwed yourself over royally by picking a religion. Not to mention that God, as understood by most people, wouldn't probably look very favorably on somebody who only paid him lip service out of pure self-interest.
Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

Who knows.  Maybe Religion is "God" filtering out the unworthy who can't think for themselves or who worship the Bible or some dude named Jesus as if they were gods themselves.  Wouldn't that throw a wrench in the whole mess.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 07, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »

Most of that post was written in relation to myself.  The god I was referring to was the capital G of Christianity.  I'm sure if I had the ultimate power of creation and destruction I wouldn't be so petty as to get offended by a little self interest at least not enough to condemn them to eternal suffering and the like.  I'm not too scared of what will happen if I'm to be judged as I'm a chill dude. Besides I'd look like the paragon of humanity and the pinnacle of all that is right besides a lot of people alive in this world today. Just look at all the murderers, rapists, and the like. I guess we'll just have to see but if God is really as petty as you make him out to be then I suspect we're going to be seeing a South Park movie type scenario.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 08, 2009, 01:13:25 am »

Why? Its their religion they can choose it however they want, even if they think one of their gods is cool or one of the Goddesses is hot.

I originally chose the Hellenic Pantheon because I like history in the time period that we were a major religion...

Your shittin me right?

If you blindly self assert something as true, and therefore valid then all things are.

Including the belief that fucking and devouring child is a good thing. If its true for me...

That is a bad methodology. Leads to terrible things, and at best silly things.

'Its true to me.' is shallow thinking.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 08, 2009, 02:12:33 am »

...this neatly avoids the real question at hand, which is not whether Religion is good or not, but whether it is correct or not.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here. I'd say over half of this thread has been to discuss the effects of (a lack of) Religion. It's impossible to say whether or not it's correct. Is there an effect of God? Yes. He created humans. But atheists say that humans were created from evolution. But modern religionists say that God 'created' them by evolving them. But atheists say you don't need a God to evolve things.

Well, there, you can't really prove it either way. You can twist facts to support your view. Or.. you could personally attack people and their beliefs. That's the easy way.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 08, 2009, 02:27:05 am »

Nihilism, We believe in nothing. It's a perfect system.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 08, 2009, 02:28:02 am »

Who knows.  Maybe Religion is "God" filtering out the unworthy who can't think for themselves or who worship the Bible or some dude named Jesus as if they were gods themselves.  Wouldn't that throw a wrench in the whole mess.

Like this?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 08, 2009, 02:42:23 am »

But isn't that inherently self defeating?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 08, 2009, 02:48:58 am »

But isn't that inherently self defeating?

Maybe, If we believed in the idea of defeat. Or Self.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:21 am »

Ah, but goals, aspirations, ideals. These all require belief. Without them, there is no improvement, betterment or true fulfillment, and that is why Fredrick Nietzsche crushes your puny nihilism.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 08, 2009, 03:03:11 am »

I have ambitions, but they are all my own. I don't believe in anything, however nothing inhibits me.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 08, 2009, 03:07:16 am »

An ambition is still a belief, you don't know if it's really possible, or if it will be what you want, but you still aspire towards it, thus, a belief.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 370