Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394777 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1260 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:28 am »

Heh, I'm thinking some of the atheists you've met may have only recently (say, the last 5 years) begun to self identify as atheist. In my experience, we tend (Dawkins is an outlier...) to quieten down after we get over the initial heady rush of atheism :P

That, or we realise arguing over religion is likely headbutting a brick wall.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: September 07, 2009, 10:09:53 am »

You explained my atheism quite well  :(.

I used to love debating with those over the top religious people but after awhile I realized, as the last guy said, arguing over religion is likely headbutting a brick wall.

I stopped now, anyone that mentions religion to me and wants to talk about it I just walk away from.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: September 07, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

There are people at my college who come and rant at us in the middle of the through-way.  It's a little disturbing.

Also, never, EVER give your phone number out to fanatics, of any kind.  THEY WILL PASS IT AROUND.  Soon you will be getting calls from people you never even heard of before, about things you have no interest in doing.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:35 am »

Intelligent? The tags broken, I don't know of an intelligent person who'd jump onto a thread and insult people like that.
look at thyself.
the insults are nothing but to get reactions from various people. I don't pretend to know you, and I don't mean anything that demeans you with such intent. I apologize. and this may very well be due to the fact that I am alien to most people(somehow including my friends).

Michilus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 07, 2009, 12:34:31 pm »

I believe that all religions are a path to God (and atheism doesn't disqualify you should you do good in life), as do many people. Don't make the mistake of generalizing something like that. We aren't like that, you aren't like that, most of the sane (makin' IWM happy, doot doo dee doo) world is not like that.

Nice point of view. Not Christian however.

"You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Sounds familiar?

Exodus 23:24
"Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images."

Tolerance is not a Christian value.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 07, 2009, 02:08:28 pm »

It's problematic to say what Christian virtues are and then quote friggin' Exodus as proof. Seriously. The tone of the New Testament (or at least a lot of it) is in stark contrast to that of the old, and the Bible is complicated enough and represents enough periods in the religion's history that you could excise the context from ANY quote to prove anything about it.

I mean, the Old Testament also tells you not to eat shellfish, but that's hardly a Christian thing either. Things changed.

Here, have some more relevant quotes.

Quote from: 1 Peter 3:8-11
8Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 9Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10For,
   "Whoever would love life
      and see good days
   must keep his tongue from evil
      and his lips from deceitful speech.
 11He must turn from evil and do good;
      he must seek peace and pursue it.

Quote from: Matthew 5:9
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
      for they will be called sons of God.

Quote from: Matthew 26:52
52"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Quote from: Matthew 5:43-48
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?

Just food for thought, really. There are a lot of messages in the Bible, some representative of different ideological periods than others, and some seemingly (or actually) self-contradictory. But tolerance is certainly one of them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:10:12 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 07, 2009, 02:46:45 pm »

But there lies the problem.  To form an opinion as a Christian, you need to go against and ignore many of God's own words.  Why base your life upon a book that isn't even internally consistant?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 07, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »

The thing is that a lot of those words are open to interpretation, and context is important, especially when it's not being literal.

Also, as I mentioned, not all of the book is relevant in all cases. For instance, Christians tend to believe that a lot of the Old Covenant laws and such were kind of phased out after Jesus was around.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 07, 2009, 02:52:27 pm »

because we never believed the world was flat, nor that the universe was heliocentric.
scientific facts has always been exactly the same over all of time.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 07, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »

because we never believed the world was flat, nor that the universe was heliocentric.

Sarcasm doesn't make a point valid. You're actually bringing up one of the main differences between science and religion. Science adapts it's views as new evidence is presented. Religion is the invariable word of God.

(lurks back into shadows)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 07, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »

Also, as I mentioned, not all of the book is relevant in all cases. For instance, Christians tend to believe that a lot of the Old Covenant laws and such were kind of phased out after Jesus was around.
So the words of the all knowing God, the one who creates and defines morality, needs to be "Phased out"?  Why?  As far as I can tell, the fomula for whether to accept or ignore a part of the bible is:
Code: [Select]
Does the passage correspond to my personal beliefs - Y/N
Y - It's fine
N - It's outdated
Which is all very well, and shows that the vast majority of religious people have a good sense of morality.  But then again, if we can judge which parts are good and which are abhorrant, what's the point of it?
You may have accidentally shot yourself in the foot here.  The fact that science changes when new evidence comes around is exactly what makes it different to religion.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:32 pm »

Code: [Select]
Does the passage correspond to my personal beliefs - Y/N
Y - It's fine
N - It's outdated
Which is all very well, and shows that the vast majority of religious people have a good sense of morality.
Since when is believing in that which you feel comfortable with "moral" ?

I'm picking on this a bit, I know, but if I agree that heathens should be stoned, thus making that passage "fine" it doesn't make it moral.  I mean, technically, morality in itself is the distinguishing of right vs. wrong.  But that's a variable thing.  What is right in one generation is wrong in another.  What's good in one country is shunned in another.  Morality is simple putting a friendly term to mob rule.  Mob rule is why our founding fathers didn't make our country a Democracy, but a Republic.  Argue the differences if you will, but there's a definitive reason why we don't run this country by total majority.  The Republic protects our freedom of(and I argue from) religion otherwise the majority would rule it illegal.

We could get into an argument over "core" morals, but where do you draw the line between murder and smoking pot?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: September 07, 2009, 03:26:40 pm »

So, if you agree that each generation has different moral values, why are we looking back dozens of generations for inspiration into how to live our lives?

My point is that if you're allowed to ignore a bible verse if you disagree with it, then there's almost no point in having a central book to believe in anyway.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 07, 2009, 03:30:43 pm »

So, if you agree that each generation has different moral values, why are we looking back dozens of generations for inspiration into how to live our lives?

To discover the timeless truths, perhaps? Which doesn't really make any sense, since if they're timeless, then we have them now as well.

My point is that if you're allowed to ignore a bible verse if you disagree with it, then there's almost no point in having a central book to believe in anyway.

It also goes the other way around. If you only take from the Bible those bits that agree with your own ideas and beliefs, then why even bother? You already do have those ideas and beliefs in the first place, since that's what you're filtering the Bible against. So what exactly is the point of doing so at all?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 07, 2009, 03:37:30 pm »

Mob rule is why our founding fathers didn't make our country a Democracy, but a Republic.  Argue the differences if you will, but there's a definitive reason why we don't run this country by total majority.  The Republic protects our freedom of(and I argue from) religion otherwise the majority would rule it illegal.
I live in a democracy, one without even a written constitution and we seem to be perfectly capable of maintaining freedom of religion.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 370